myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When is the best time to learn the forward loop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're to avoid head protection because one guy claims it broke a nose (the physics of it make no sense), yet ignore many other injuries and broken gear reports because they don't matter?

Really?

How 'bout we report both sides, fair and balanced, and let each reader decide for himself? What a concept!
bonner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physics for the non-looper know it all. The splash of water from landing on your back travels up your back then the back of your neck and pushes the helmet forward from the rear. Get it?
Loop much?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I've landed flat on my back more often and very likely from higher altitudes than you've looped. Your explanation of water displaced up the back to dislodge a helmet into the wearer's nose does make sense (unlike a rear helmet blow), but it's still a very rare occurrence ... much like not wearing seat belts because someone drowned or burned in one. I've had my tightly fitted helmets ripped off my head many times in feet-first crashes, but they've also saved my eyes, face, skull, consciousness, and possibly life many times and give me extra confidence (for better and worse). I don't support requiring them, but I will continue to support their voluntary use (and, as you say, proper fit). I'd switch to Gath (lighter, quieter, less bulky) in a minute if they had better face protection.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a football coach I have to chime in here. A properly fitted helmet will not break your nose but an improperly fitted one can so we agree there. But saying you are better off trying forwards without a helmet? Let's just say I disagree with that statement on so many levels.

Coachg
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After multiple wymaroo attempts with a helmet, it made me dizzy, it wasn't a Gath though. The surface of the head is much greater with a helmet. It felt like the head hits inside the helmet and the padding was pretty solid on mine.

One advise that I'm not seeing again is throw the move headed downwind. If you do, it makes sheeting in a lot easier and it clears the gear out of your way if you get launched.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with throwing forwards headed downwind - how often do you get ramps that you can hit when sailing downwind? Maybe if you're attempting in the surf, but if you're in chop-hop conditions, you're only going to be able to hit ramps going upwind.

That is why I mentioned in my prior post that you need to be fairly confident making board adjustments in flight. Launch off a ramp, then pivot the board downwind mid flight, sheet in and rotate your body forward.

Regarding helmets, I think you would definitely be wise to wear one - a lot of gear and body parts flying around uncontrolled when you're first starting out. A forward loop is essentially a semi-controlled catapult. Ear protection is also a very good idea as you are very likely to smack the side of your head against the surface of the water. I wear an old NSI foam helmet with a little bit of duct tape over the ear holes. It is a very minimal helmet, but seems fine for windsurfing and I've never felt concerned about it causing injury.

sm
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my excuse, I can't find downwind ramps! It helps to practice downwind jumps on the back of the chop for example. It improves water surface reading.

Apparently pointing the board downwind hurts the flow of the rotation and takes more skill.
BoomBra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're ready.

Technique varies depending on the conditions. When doing downwind loops in small chop, I really focus on getting a good "hop" (just clear the fin) not trying to jump. Being so far off the wind I don't throw the rig as far forward, but I do have the sail slightly sheeted out so I can really crank it when the board hops out of the water. Always look back, it helps with rotation and protect your ears.

As for doing a forward or speed loop heading into small chop, I spin the board downwind as I'm jumping or hopping then really throw the rig forward/windward when leaving the water. When I start to get that going over the front sensation, I pull in really hard while looking at the clew.

I move my front hand a few inches back and my back hand as far back as possible right before the move.

As pointed out, watch video's then close your eyes and try to visualize doing them. When on the water don't over think it, people learning to loop probably know more about looping then seasoned loopers.

For safety equipment? You know if you need it or not, wear whatever it takes for you to try them.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve74 wrote:
For safety equipment? You know if you need it or not ...

I wish that were true, so we could avoid or prepare for each injury in advance. I'd love to wear my armor (or carry a spare universal joint or mast) only on the day, session, or reach in which I actually needed it.
BoomBra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more likely to get injured in my car driving to the beach then out on the water but I don't wear a helmet in my car. I think the risk of injury driving or WS is low enough to take the risk.

When snowboarding or mountain biking, I feel the risk of injury is much higher so always wear helmets, padding, etc.

It's always good to lean towards the safe side but where that is will always be up for debate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: