myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What about this Mistral Syncro 104L from 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: What about this Mistral Syncro 104L from 2011 Reply with quote

Still looking for a used 100L-ish FSW board.
I can get this Mistral Syncro 104L from 2011 for 500€
It's from a Mistral renting center and looks in a good condition.

I believe this is a high wind freeride board right?
I am not interested in Freestyle though, just 20-30 knots winds, jumping, gybing and small wave riding.
What do you think?
Cheers

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.4 KB
 Viewed:  19930 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  277.3 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.75 KB

image.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good board for your windspeeds if you weight over 215 lbs.
I thought Joker was the freestyle board, but that can be dated.
Lots of guys like the Syncro for it's easy handling, smoothness, easy jibing, and user friendliness.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncro is a freeride, bump and jump board (according to the Mistral website circa 2010 which is what this board looks like), which translates to an all-around board.
joker is the pure freestyle board.

Last edited by whitevan01 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never associated the Syncro line with dedicated freestyle performance (Mistral calls it a Freeride), but it would probably make do for that purpose. What it seems to be best at is that rare niche known as " jumping, gybing and small wave riding". Smile I'd call that a FSW board, alright.

I'd much prefer much less volume when it's averaging 30 or when jumping, period, but if it's not too choppy or you're not too light it should work well enough at 30 average. After all, the first thing I heard new Syncro owners of various sizes say after their first session on them was, "Holy CRAP that thing is smooth in chop. It floats like a bigger board and maneuvers and rides like a smaller one. I LOVE it" ... and that was in Gorge chop on and around really nice swell. It should shine even better on smoother water where its size will be even less noticeable.

As long as the deck is solid and the weight is correct (i.e., no water in it), 500 of them Euro thingies sounds fine for a 2011.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general its a pretty big board for that high of wind. Depends on you size and how ruff the water is...
antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I am about 77kg (170 pounds) would that board be to big for me in 20-30 knots (23-35 miles/h) of wind?

I have been using a 125L Tabou Rocket in these conditions with no major problems a part from loosing control of the board in big swells. In side shore conditions with medium swell in have been blasting on my 125L Rocket in winds up to 35 knots with the straps outboard and a sit harness.
I hope I can at least use a 104L FSW in 20-30 knots...

Last edited by antonputman on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which rocket model year do you have? if it's 2011 or older your case illustrates the cost/benefit of lots of double concave aft.

lets you sail in really strong winds for a board that size at the expense of early planing and top end speeds.

syncro's of the years past have been very early planing and lively by compare. use a smaller, stiffer fin and a twisty sail, and you maybe you can hold that board in control with gusts to 30.

btw, anders is a brilliant designer with all the spec's at his finger tips to to make subtle changes since he's gotten the brand. betcha it's a great board from 15-30 with sails 7.5 down to 5.0. cheers

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:
Thanks guys I am about 77kg (170 pounds) would that board be to big for me in 20-30 knots (23-35 miles/h) of wind?

If you're talking average wind speeds, hell, yes it's too big. If you mean low 20s (mph) with gusts to whatever, it'll do. Much depends on your skill level, the price (walk of shame) and likelihood of a total wind puke, and any shoreline wind shadow you regularly have. Most good sailors your size would love more like 75-80L for B&J/swells/modest waves at 23 mph averages (5.5 or so), and less volume at 30 (4.2 or so). 104 is frigging BIG for maneuvering and jumping even if there's no chop to worry about. This board and your stated objectives are a whole different sport than blasting around with straps on the rails @ 125 liters. Side-shore winds, big swells, 30 mph winds ... I'd kill for that. You really need to get a smaller board than 104 and a wavier-board than anything with screw holes near the rails and see what you've been missing. Borrow a mate's wave board and check it out before committing to another big board. You'll quickly find that for "jumping, gybing and small wave riding". 104L to 80L is a huge gap, and the latter opens a huge door to a whole new and different kind of fun.

If all my winds were in the 20-30 kt range, sideshore, less likely to die without notice, near an actual beach rather than a short gap in an otherwise inaccessible shoreline, and filled in near shore, I'd have no reason to own a board over 80L even at my old weight of just over 200 pounds. At my new weight of 170, 80L would be my biggest board, reserved for when I need a 6.2 to plane. I very seldom dig out my 85-95L boards unless I expect to swim with anything smaller, and my huge 114 L Syncro gets wet maybe once or twice a year.
antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really?
Well my Tabou Rocket 125L was a 2012 LTD model..

Anyway, thanks for the food for thought about a 100-ish board, maybe I need something smaller than?
My goal is a 2 board quiver:
- 10-20 knots @ homespot (onshore, difficult conditions to get out etc.) [7.8, 6.6, 5.4]
> EXOCET 10' WindSUP - just ordered
- 20-30+ knots @ winterspots (side shore, offshore, chop & swells) [4.7, 5.4, 6.6]
> FSW or bigger wave board?

I have never ridden a waveboard! I think/thought wave boards are for expert sailors (I am definitely an intermediate just starting to jump and still working on my power gybes)
What always amazed me is that waveboards seem so slow.. Last winter I was having a blast screaming by the wave sailors with their tiny sails on my 125 Rocket. I don't know maybe I am just more a slalom type maybe? I like sailing overpowered. I like the workout in this sport. I like sore muscles.
But I am attracted by the wave aspect, riding waves on my first SUP board sure feed this and now I am also stoked with my first jumps.

Ideally I would like to have a fast all round board that can do both freeride blasting + wave riding. So a 3 strap or 4 strap choice for the day.
That's why I thought I need a 100L-ish FSW board.

I had my mind set on a Tabou 3S 96L or a Naish Starship 100L but after buying the new WindSUP I will also need a new 400 mast and 4.7 sail so instead of getting one of those boards new I thought I better buy used.

Here are the options from the Mistral renting center:

Boards 2011:
Shock Wave 78 liters / 86 liters
590 €
Joker Wave 85 liters / 95 liters
590 €
Syncro 104 liters / 117 liters
490 €
Screamer 110 liters
550 €
Joker 108 liters
480€

Thanks for any suggestions!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:
What always amazed me is that waveboards seem so slow.. Last winter I was having a blast screaming by the wave sailors with their tiny sails on my 125 Rocket. I don't know maybe I am just more a slalom type maybe? I like sailing overpowered. I like the workout in this sport. I like sore muscles.

Then you're tailor-made for wave or FSW boards. The more power one applies, the faster they go, especially the slightly narrower/longer traditional one made from roughly 1998 through 2008, depending on the make and model. My powered-up 65 to 85 liter wave boards often pass, sometimes BLOW by, slalom boards ridden by intermediates -- including many permanent intermediates -- when the water is rough enough to slow them down.

antonputtemans wrote:
I am attracted by the wave aspect, riding waves on my first SUP board sure feed this and now I am also stoked with my first jumps.

Then you will have an orgasm the first time you rig bigger than those tiny-sailed waveboard guys, strap 75 liters to your feet, sheet in, blast away, pull the lawn chair mentality from your ass and throw it away, and start putting those muscles and that mindset to work on maneuvering as rapidly, radically, and often as possible. You will very quickly see what it feels like to combine wave sailing maneuvers with drag race speeds as best you can, with a very rapid learning curve as your confidence grows. I'm talking hours, not weeks or seasons. The first hour I spent overpowered on 65 liters in overhead Gorge chopswell impressed me (and the editor of a high-wind gear test magazine) more than my previous 12 years of WSing, much of it on sinkers. My high-wind board handling skills improved more in that single session than they had since my first full-speed planing jibe four years earlier.

I'm not recommending that you drop straight from 125 to 65 liters. But with your gung ho attitude and in the conditions you describe, you may do just fine dropping to 80 liters as long as your ego survives those first few days of instability. Borrow one of those wave boards. Add a half-meter or even a full meter to the sail size they're using (because if they're DTL wave sailors, they're PUSSIES*), and go see how sharply those little water fleas will turn and burn at high speeds.** You'll love the thrills, the educational spills that define your current skill boundaries, and the level of exhaustion they can provide. Adding two more dimensions (left/right and UP) to your WSing will get you high.

* By that I mean they use small sails so they don't outrun the waves and because they use gravity more than horsepower to keep planing.

** But power them up to slalom board standards and you've got he best of both worlds: much of your slalom board speed and all of their maneuverability. The g forces and thrills that produces when so commanded are the reason I windsurf. But beware: don't try this in your living room, and don't try it on wide flat wave boards like EVOs, dedicated freestyle potato chips, etc., lest they beat the living crap out of you on chop. Borrow something from 2008 or earlier a couple of cm narrower and many cm longer in a 75-80 L volume, get up to speed, and just press the big toe of your (single-) strapped-in back foot down hard. You just banged off a 90-degree downwind slash. To double that experience, do two more things as you twitch that big toe: pull in with your back hand and drive the mast forward and into the turn. Tip: adding those rig actions will help any board slash at speed, but they're not mandatory with the narrower boards.

You've never turned like that before. I know countless high-wind sailors of 20 years who have never turned like that. You will return from your first session bruised all over, tired as holy hell, and grinning so damned hard you won't sleep that night. Hell, you may not sleep well again until you buy your own 75-85L wave board.

And you haven't even jumped it yet.

antonputtemans wrote:
Ideally I would like to have a fast all round board that can do both freeride blasting + wave riding.

There ya go. But unless you have to pass even the expert slalomheads, you don't need no steenkin' 4th footstrap, any sharp rails, or any flat rocker. You already have fast toys; why not add something new and different that's built for the bumpier water you're likely to encounter in higher winds? And you sure as heck don't need A HUNDRED AND FOUR FREAKING LITERS Smile at anything over 22 kts and in the presence of any useful swell or waves.

antonputtemans wrote:
Here are the options from the Mistral renting center:

Boards 2011:
Shock Wave 78 liters / 86 liters
Joker Wave 85 liters / 95 liters

Since you enjoy sailing overpowered, as I do, maneuvering at high speed in rough water may challenge you on any of those. But if you have halfway smooth water between your swells/waves, modern wave or FSW boards will ride fine; they just take more effort to slash at the speed and power levels you prefer.

Please don't base any purchase on any one post, especially mine; I've ridden none of these specific boards. But it sounds like you have some of the same objectives I do, have the same skill levels I had when I began riding boards of this general size, and have the same rough-and-tumble attitude I did. Based on that and on your stated wind levels, I'd bias my first choice on size alone: the 78 Liter Shock Wave.

I'd also ask the rental center their advice IF you trust their judgement. Heck, ask them whether you can swap boards after a trial run or demo one or two of them. If they say OK, realize that your first impression after stepping off 125 liters may differ dramatically from your second or third day, compounded by wind speed differences.

antonputtemans wrote:
Thanks for any suggestions!

Don't forget: that's all we're offering. Not even the best gearheads or sailors here -- and that's certainly not me -- can read your mind, anticipate how it may change a your skills and priorities progress, or see your local conditions.

Good luck.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: