myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for Aussie windsurfer coming to California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen wrote:
Try this in your RV (hopefully a pretty small RV):

Start out in LA, pick up a board at Kirk's and head to Cabrillo Beach for some flat water blasting. Next day go up to Leo Carrillo State Beach in Malibu just south of the Ventura County line for some down the line wave sailing on a 6 ft south swell. Then drive up to the Central Coast for some more down the line rides w/the Kite Krew up at Arroyo Laguna. Stay at Moonstone Beach and go to the Sea Chest for dinner. The next day it is up Route 1 the scenic way through Big Sur. Stay in Monterey for a night and then speed up to the Davenport/Waddell area and once again wave sail with a bunch of kiters. Next, hustle across the penninsula and sail the bay swells at 3rd avenue. Then, onto Crissy Field and the vodoo chop amongst the beautiful city views. From here, cross the Bay Bridge on your way to the the Delta (which used be called the Little Gorge before the wind dropped down several notches) and jump as high as you can during the legendary ebbs.

Reverse and Repeat.

Other areas to explore near the great city of San Francisco are Larkspur (sail past San Quinten), Candlestick Park (about to be torn down) and Treasure Island (a nuclear waste station).

If you really want to windsurf, Vegas and SD are not destinations for this trip.

Enjoy Mate!

Heck...if you got the time...you might as well get up early in SF, and head North 7 hours to the mpst beautfiful , wide open, windy as hell spot in the US!!! Pistol River , Oregon. ZERO crowds, 10 mile long beaches, and perfect side shore wind.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socal, amazing food and no wind. Come to Sf. Plenty of wind for you. The misuss can shop whilst you windsurf.
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to drive west in an RV from Vegas and come over the Sierras on 395, take a day and go to Yosemite Valley. Some things are greater than windsurfing. And don't miss Glacier Point, the valley overlook.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
If you are going to drive west in an RV from Vegas and come over the Sierras on 395, take a day and go to Yosemite Valley. Some things are greater than windsurfing. And don't miss Glacier Point, the valley overlook.

Hit the Ahwahnee for breakfast or lunch. Beautiful dining room, spectacular views. If it isn't too busy you can request the Alcove; definitely worth a short wait.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.03 KB
 Viewed:  11173 Time(s)

image.jpg

fitek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the above having spent much time in San Diego, the bay area, and a decent amount of time in Oregon. The north is much more scenic.

I just did a 2200 mile drive with the wife and son up through Norcal, across 84 to the Dalles, down to Bend, and then out to Boise and down through Nevada to Reno and back home to the bay.

That last stretch of 2 days through the Idaho and Nevada desert was boooring. There's not much out there and it's so darn hot. It's cool to see the landscape once in your life but... I had the same desire to see the Australian outback, and that desire evaporates along with your sweat after about an hour of staring at a straight highway and a bunch of dirt. I'd vote in favor of Norcal or Oregon if I had a choice of 5 days of desert or 5 days of varied forest and mountains.

Las Vegas too is one of those see it once in your life things, but I would not drive there. Fly there for a couple of days and then fly back if you must. It's ridiculously cheap to fly and the drive is long and boring.

San Diego is great but as everyone says, not much windsurfing to be had there. I cannot stand Los Angeles simply because of the traffic.

Don't get a giant RV if heading to the bay area because it will just cause headaches. I have a 19 foot Sprinter and think right around 20 feet you should be OK. I've rented a 28 footer and it was more trouble than it was worth (another once in your life experience, tho).

If you want to head to the Gorge, realize its about 10-12 hours from San Francisco going up 5 (which is not the scenic way; if you want more scenery, go through Bend OR, though it will add a few hours of travel time). Good beer and biking/hiking in the area. If it were me, and I wanted to the West Coast (sorry Seattle), I'd drive it one way starting from Portland. You could easily pick up used gear in the Gorge (where gear is plentiful and cheap) and use it all the way down the coast. I just picked up two decent mid 2000s Ezzys for $69 each in the Gorge (for me, 4.2, 5.0, 5.8 cover 90% of my windsurfing needs). Saw a decent board for $300 and masts seem to be about 150. At the end of the trip in LA, sell it to the local store. It'll still probably be cheaper than renting. A week in each locale would be the right amount to leave you wanting more.

Ping me if you're in San Mateo, I live right by 3rd Ave Smile And as of September, will be part time in the Gorge...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo and Malibu are great this time of year. those guys from Northern California think they have wind all year what a joke Laughing
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Cabrillo and Malibu are great this time of year. those guys from Northern California think they have wind all year what a joke Laughing

still waiting for my Secos day... I guess I never come down at the right time

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
stevenbard wrote:

still waiting for my Secos day... I guess I never come down at the right time

Kevin, we've been on fire down here. Water is in the low 70's. I can see the Garibaldi swimming on the reef as I sail by. Yesterday and the day before were chest high surf, and today is supposed to get bigger. Nice swell about 7 days out. Guys were in board shorts and rash guards yesterday!!

I jest about N Cal. I just got back and loved it!!
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with most everyone here, I was born and raised in San Diego, a great place to be from, but not to be at, if you want wind.
Only large sailboats have fun there, and the traffic sucks, head north, for all the reasons mentioned!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:

This
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: