myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard Serenity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zlipski123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Starboard Serenity Reply with quote

Hello All: I may be buying a 1st gen. Serenity (2007) and wondering if anyone there has any experience with the board. My game plan is to do local lake in PA with <10 miles winds ( seems to be a pattern on my days off). Skills : harnes ok and just getting into footstraps. Thank you for your feedback .
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own one, but I did sail one a couple of times in Cabarete (Vela used to have one, maybe they still do). Bunch of us took turns with it, and we all came back with huge smiles. The board goes upwind like an old 12 meter, and it's a unique sensation sailing something with a narrow displacement hull that slices through the water so cleanly.
Without knowing the actual sales figures, I don't think the board took off like it could have because most windsurfers aren't interested, at least for that kind of money, in something that can't plane and can't be used in waves. But it sounds like you might have the perfect place to use it, so long as the water is deep and there are no weeds.
It's obviously very narrow, and I found it easier to tack than jibe. Balancing might take some getting used to. I wonder if anyone has SUPed it on flat water--that could be a blast, and perfect for you--take it to the lake, rig up if there's wind, paddle it if there isn't.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As part of my back to the future phase of windsurfing I bought a Serenity several years ago, still have it. It truly is a unique style of sailing. I have never mastered tacking or gybing the board. It's extremely tippy.

All that said, It will go in almost no wind and just sort of ghosts through the water. I most often use my 6.5 Infinity on it.

The last time it was out, my 19yr old son put a 8.5 Infinity on it, the wind was ranging from 8-14. He got out on the water and I think he stayed out for about 6hrs. With a hull speed of about 12knts he really covered a lot of miles that day. The sailing location was Lake Erie West of Buffalo.

My favorite place to sail the board is the Pimlico Sound in the OBX.

It's a really cool board!

More traditional longboard sailing can be done with a Kona but I still prefer the later Mistral Equipe.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Serenity for a couple of years and switched to a SUP that had a mast foot for my low wind sailing and freestyle practice. It was great in low winds but turning it was a hassle and a lot of exercise, I found a Helicopter tack actually worked the best. I used a 6.6 or 5.4 sail most of the time. I found a 16.5" weed fin worked best. I did perfect a gybe technique:

Note the Starboard Serenity does not lose speed very easily, you wil be jibing at the speed of the wind.
Do not expect to be able to balance against the wind in the sail.
1 Look around to be sure downwind is clear for Jibe.
2. Move back hand farther back on boom. Move front hand back in front of harness lines.
3. Lower the windward rail to Board steer board off the wind while holding sail forward
4. . As the board turns off wind move feet back to cupholder and assume forward feet stance. Level board, (from railing board) and Pivot jib the board. Nose will be up in the air.
5. Before getting to the dead downwind postion, (at the 5 or 7 o'clock postion) switch stance by bringing the leeward foot forward. This is the key to jibe, switch stance early.

7. Once beyond the dead downwind position, flip. Continue to board steer and slowly sheet in the sail. If possible trying pumping the sail to provide some turning power. Finish.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be another step in there before getting to step 7. Fall into the water!

It's a very 'narrow focussed' specialty board that knifes through the water like butter, but doesn't plane. Goes like crazy upwind, but everyone has trouble sailing it downwind, or when the wind picks up.

Most other longboards are more versatile, since they will plane. Plus they have added stability that will make them more freestyle and sup friendly.
zlipski123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what would be a better choice for someone who can get on the water on days where wind <10 miles ( lakes in PA) . I do realize no planing possible on the Serenity and any other board. I also have a Fanatic Viper 190 liters and I am 198 pounds . My plan is to have some fun on the water at home between the trips to OBX .
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an old formula board ('01 Bic Formula 170) and a 10.5 m sail for cheap. I'm still getting used to it, but was able to plane intermittently yesterday in 8-12 mph winds. I weigh 240 lbs. At the same time another guy on similar gear and a lot more experience than me weighing 200 lbs was planing almost all the time. The locals here in windless San Diego swear by formula boards and that's why I got one.
norcom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first gen Serenity. I can tack and gybe it, it's not that hard but really depends on what your skill level is. It is very tippy but not unmanageable.

It's a fun board for <10mph. It glides like nothing else but a skillful sailor on a Superlight II can easily beat me unless it's 5mph or less. It stinks as a race board. Maybe the MK2 is better in that regard. The MK2 has more volume and two fins. It came with two fins, 40cm and 70cm. Make sure you have the depth as with anything shorter it's tougher to sail. The 70cm makes the board a little less tippy.

I picked it up because I wanted to ride in the lightest winds possible. It does just that. It will get you out on the water and glide faster than most boards out there but once it gets to 8mph my light wind kite gear is way more fun. Anything less than that these days I'll just sup or wait for the wind to pick up.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most Serenity owners have been into WS for a long time. It's just so perfectly designed for light wind. It really needs an owner that likes all kinds of sailing.

Like I mentioned before the Kona one or one of the older longboards can cover a really wide range of sailing.

Lots of good options, the Serenity is nice to have in the quiver but not a real go to board.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most Serenity owners have been into WS for a long time. It's just so perfectly designed for light wind. It really needs an owner that likes all kinds of sailing.

Like I mentioned before the Kona one or one of the older longboards can cover a really wide range of sailing.

Lots of good options, the Serenity is nice to have in the quiver but not a real go to board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: