myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When is the best time to learn the forward loop?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb500011

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: When is the best time to learn the forward loop? Reply with quote

How advanced does one need to be to learn to do a forward? Do you need to be an expert, or just be able to jump and go fast? I can do a straight jump off chop with about 2-3+ seconds of hangtime if I'm going fast . . . so am I ready to learn to do a forward? My jibing is not 100% planing on the exit yet - and my footwork is sometimes iffy - so I am definitely not a pro, but does that even matter? I do know how to jump and land without hurting myself when doing a standard jump . . . so I figure a loop isn't so different, as long as you don't over-rotate or otherwise land hard on your gear . . . and I sometimes do pretty decent jumps where I think at the apex "you know, you could probably pull a delayed loop on the way down if you wanted to", you know, a little spin loop, not an end-over-end thing . . .

So I watched a tutorial on youtube . . . and they told me it was mostly a mental thing and not that hard to do, skill-wise . . . like they teach people in just a few hours in Maui or whatever. . . you learn to spin partway around and land on your back, then you just do the loop . . . then you do the loop bigger and better once you get the little ones down . . . so, you know, how hard could it be?

Should I just do it?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your young and heal quickly.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can afford to replace masts.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned from Pritchard in Maui. Best exercise in that course was to stand in crotch deep water with the rig upright in your hands. No board.
Dive past and around the mast into the water ten or twenty times.
Land on your back.
That really is two thirds of a loop. The mid air feeling you had may be deceptive.
Once you do this enough you can wind up with the belief you can make that move decisively in midair without any danger. That is the attitude you are going you need.
You gotta believe.
In midair scrunch up close to your gear and do the dive.
Hold that dive move and extend your body to land.
If you stick to this the blown landings at first do not hurt.
You can come out laughing.
Your results may vary.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your actual question. Are you good enough at this point?
Yes.
Water starts and loops are little tricks that can be done without advanced other skills. They are not windsurfing itself, just associated skills.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with above... they say the loop is one of those things that is hard to try, easy to do... i find this especially true w/ the downwind technique... scary as all sh!t, but technically compact. i know a guy who could barely jibe, but learned to loop no prob.

of course a good approach to tackling the move is important (and another discussion).

And just to add... the loop isn't a normal jump, so even jumping well isn't a prerequisite... it may actually hinder your progress.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I can't forward.
Second, I would wear ear plugs and avoid helmets.
Third, what are your waves like?
Fourth (don't really know where I'm going with this), have supporting buddies pump you up!
Fifth, yes basically you don't need a perfect ramp as you throw your gear forward downwind and tuck under sheeting in, it should clear the fin and rotate.
Sixth, forward strapless exercises are supposed to help. I tried the wymaroo approach but it's more technical.
Seventh, go to Brazil? (shallow area perfectly oriented wave)
Eighth, look at the youtube video of a guy learning loops at 60.

And the most important thing of all... try some!
Once you try a few you'll know the answer to your questions immediately, but at least do #2 and don't let go of the boom.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday! Laughing Seriously, after you throw your first one you'll wonder what the heck you were waiting for...

Proper technique is key to a successful and painless first attempt. People only get hurt or break equipment when they flail or get random instruction from the interwebs or leftover hand me down tips from the 90s. Take a lesson from Andy Brandt (http://www.abkboardsports.com) or another good instructor. Our instructor Graham aka The Fed just taught someone last weekend in an hour and a half. Not quite landing ankles dry, but sailing away like nothing happened. Dude was STOKED!! Cool

Prerequisites? Not many. Sounds like you're ready! Get thee in a lesson!

Random Tips:

Get a lesson.

Don't go huge.

Rig a smaller sail, but somewhat bagged out- you don't need to be lit and are better off when you have more control and maneuverability from the smaller sail.

Don't bother with the "throwing yourself around the nose of the board while out of the footstraps" drill- it's a total waste of time and teaches bad technique (seriously, it's the opposite of what you really need to do when it's go time). The wymaroo thing is kind of weird, too, although that one at least gets you out of the BAFing mindset and into the crashing mindset.

Loops are 99% sail handling technique and 1% body positioning. DON'T throw your body forward. DO put the sail in the right place and let it do all of the work. It sounds silly, but watch Philip Koster throw a double and just do everything he does: check the hand positions on the boom (and when he puts them there). Closely look at the 3D mast/sail/UJ/board positions relative to the wind and his body as he takes off and sets up the loop. It's very important to put the stuff in the right spot. If the stuff is in the right spot, you just hang on and spot your landing.

http://www.continentseven.com/2014/04/17/double-forward-loop-philip-koster-14/

http://www.continentseven.com/2013/07/18/double-forward-loop-philip-koster-13/

Go go go! Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC-Hatteras wrote:
If the stuff is in the right spot, you just hang on and spot your landing.

And if not, you snap boards in half. Pascal used to snap a couple of Seatrends per week.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Wind-NC-Hatteras wrote:
If the stuff is in the right spot, you just hang on and spot your landing.

And if not, you snap boards in half. Pascal used to snap a couple of Seatrends per week.

Chances of snapping a board in half are extremely slim, until you're dialed in and chucking them extremely aggressively. Don't feed the fear factory.

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: