myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner setup?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathanestrela21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Beginner setup? Reply with quote

(I'm gonna be that noob for a bit)

HI!! I'm just starting to look into windsurfing (no prior knowledge) and theres alot of good information on this site. A guy in my area is selling his equipment and i'm very interested in buying... I think if anyone could give me advice please help. Thank you

My info: (just incase)
22, 110lbs. 5'7" Athletic build.

What he's selling:

Boards

1- F2 Phoenix 320 board
1- Mistral Explosion 288 board

Sails

1- World Sail Blast 7.5
1- Gaastra Slalom 7.2
1- Neil Pryde 6.5 Street Racer
1- World Sail 5.7 Surge
1- Neil Pryde 5.5 Wave Slalom
1- Neil Pryde 4.5 Wave Slalom
1- Neil Pryde 3.5 Hurricane

2- Fiberspar Carbon Fiber masts
1- Bic Sport Mast
3- Booms
2- Weed Fins
3- Pointer Fins
Lots of Misc components to make it all work

$400 OBO.

Worth the deal or should I keep on looking? What else do I need?
Thanks Guys!! Cool
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for it. That is a lot of old used equipment at a reasonable price. Some of us old guys learned on that stuff, you can to. Most of it is out of date, but it will still work. Some of it you could update when needed, some of it will still be good, some is junk. If you are dedicated, and take some lessons or buy some beginner videos, you will progress! Be safe and all is cool.

Many more questions. Where will you be learning? Typical winds, etc.?

My 2 cents, others will chime in. Good luck!
nathanestrela21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
I'd say go for it.
Many more questions. Where will you be learning? Typical winds, etc.?

Sweet I'll go for it then!!!

My dad and I will hopefully be out there this weekend. There is 2 locations I could try... I think. There is a selection of really large lakes near my house, but not very much wind (not sure how much wind is enough lol) or the second location is anywhere off the coast of Rhode Island where it's currently 5-15mph winds.
nathanestrela21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the boards

wind2.jpg
 Description:
two
 Filesize:  50.44 KB
 Viewed:  18544 Time(s)

wind2.jpg

wind1.jpg
 Description:
one
 Filesize:  45.35 KB
 Viewed:  18544 Time(s)

wind1.jpg

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F2 is a great place to start. You should remove the footstraps to get them out of your way. Later, when you're ready, you'll want to start with them in the forward position anyway. I would use the 5.7 if it's in any sort of decent condition. Perhaps the seller could show you how to rig it properly. Happy sailing.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, go for it! The Phoenix is a great board to learn on. Grab a lesson if you can.

Also, give the universal joint an inspection before heading out- make sure there aren't any little cracks in the rubber. If so, grab a replacement joint to avoid a long swim! Same thing with all of the lines, if they look frayed or worn just go ahead and replace them before it becomes a problem.

Hope that helps, have fun!

http://wind-nc.com
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear is ok to start with. A newer board like a large Starboard Start or Go would be much easier to learn on. The sails are fine to learn on. The main point would be to go where there are other windsurfers. Most would be more than willing to help set up your gear and get you started on the water. Windsurfing is extremely rewarding, fun and all round great sport.
The learning curve is a process that you build on each time you go out. You don't just turn a key, jump on and go. Instruction is a must. Without it you will most likely fail. This instruction is best given on the beach and the water. Video's or online stuff can be useful, but its time on the water that will allow you to progress. When "your process" takes you to the point where you are ready to try higher winds, consider lessons some where like South Padre Island in April. Its warm and windy that time of year. The water is shallow. ABK does great lessons with instructors standing in the water or sailing next to you. I have seen people go from zero to Planning in a harness and straps in one week....
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F2 Phoenix will be perfect for learning. At your weight it will be huge & floaty. Move the mast track all the way back and start with the 3.5 so the board will steer up wind easier. If winds under 8 mph use the 4.5 to start with. I’m not a big fan of cam sails for beginners but you really don’t have much choice. 5-15 mph winds is ok to start with but try to find flat water. If the wind is blowing off shore, sail no more. Try to find a place where the wind is side shore or side on. In offshore winds if something breaks or you can’t make progress up wind you will be in deep trouble.

As others have noted, lessons are a plus. I can drive 100 miles or walk 100 miles. Either way I'll get to my destination, it is just a matter of time and effort.

Coachg
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a place in Newport called 3rd beach. It is flat water, protected and has many windsurfers. At least it did in 1995. It is where I learned to gybe an old F2 Comet. It may be a trek for you, but Rhode Island is small. You will have others to help, and you can bounce questions off them.

Ask for sailing sites in the Eastern and Central USA discussion on this forum. Those on the East coast will chime and help.

Stay with it!

Oh, and if you have a sailing background, it will help as well.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phoenix will be okay to learn on. A newer board like a JP Funster 205, Starboard Start, or Starboard Rio would be better. BUT would cost you a lot more.

But I disagree with others. I teach all summer and the sail most taught on for adults is a 2.5 or a 3.3 sail (in real light winds). Until you get REAL comfortable sailing back and forth, doing tacks and jibes I wouldn't go bigger than the 3.5 sail. One of the biggest mistakes I see is the "need for a bigger sail" before you have a real solid foundation. This just teaches you bad habits. Better to learn how to handle the power of the sail with the "correct stance".

Also I would recommend a lesson or two to get started. Eventually you will probably want another when you are moving your way into your smaller board and bigger sails. There are video's out there that can show you this, but most will benefit more from instruction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: