myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jim Douglas Wundsurf Mag Board Test 2011: Exocet Twixx 145

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Jim Douglas Wundsurf Mag Board Test 2011: Exocet Twixx 145 Reply with quote

I saw your video sailing the Exocet Twixx 145 on your blog. It looks like a fun board with unique twin fin design. What do you remember about that board: skill level, wind and sail range, recommended fins? Any feedback appreciated.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Twixx as just feeling like a nice, big freeride board. Fairly early planing and fast. Not super frisky, but able to turn and jibe nicely. I only tried it in flat water with a 7.5.
bse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there no 2014 Twixx? anyone know?
AndreiA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: No longer manufactured Reply with quote

For some reason, they stopped manufacturing TWIXX. Too bad, it was my favorite rental at Jibe City Bonaire.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all know that europe drives the windsurfing market. over there it's windier, folks are lighter, and the maui fashion is perpetuated.

practical designs get ignored by europeons all the time in the windsurfing world. the twixx was requested by the american importer, designed and produced by others. why they chose one of the most heavy and cheap constructions was rather puzzling to us over here.

if stuff doesn't sell in europe, it's doomed.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
we all know that europe drives the windsurfing market. over there it's windier, folks are lighter, and the maui fashion is perpetuated.

The only true bit in this sentence is that Europe drives the windsurfing market by volume. The rest of the statement is bloody nonsense. For example, Europe has an active longboard racing scene, and is the market for the Starboard Phantom 377 (an awesome board, and the first one in decades that can beat longboards from the 90s).

The Kona One is another example. It's a group of enthusiastic windsurfers from Sweden who took over the Kona One, expanded the concept by adding a cheaper and a more expensive carbon version, and promotes racing on Kona One, as well as recreational light wind sailing. It does not get much more "non-Maui" then that.

Lighter? Perhaps the general population is, but I don't think this is true for windsurfers. On our trip to Tobago this year, the vast majority of windsurfers were Germans. Many looked heavier than my 195 pounds, including one guy who had just dropped from 350 to 230 pounds. He had kept sailing even when he was heavy.

Windier? No, sir. Many European windsurfers live quite far away from the coast or spots with regular winds like Lago di Garda. That's true for most of Germany, for example, which is why slalom and freerace gear is very popular in Germany. Very stable cambered sails and boards that plane well through lulls are just what you need for lake sailing with gusty winds.

Why would the Twixx not be popular in Europe? I sailed it at the Windsurfing Mag test, and was really not impressed. Several other boards in the size class were much more fun to sail. I later sailed the Twixx in Bonaire, where I liked it better - the twin fins were a definitive plus in the shallow water there. But even there, I'd pick a different board if I got my first or second choice.

I'd say the Twixx was a decent, but not great, board that had some definitive advantages in very shallow water. I don't think there are many spots in Europe where the water is so shallow that a twin fin might be an advantage. There are a few shallow speed spots like La Franqui, but the Twixx is certainly not the board to take there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: