myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Inflatable WindSUP boards - beginner needs advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnhaagart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Inflatable WindSUP boards - beginner needs advice Reply with quote

Hey Guys, So I'm a average level SUPer who is looking to at getting an inflatable WindSUP I can use for all around fun(SUP, fishing, days at the beach) and to learn windsurfing on. Main reasons for considering the inflatable route is that I travel a fair amount and space is quite limited at home. I love the idea of being about to hit the water just about anywhere anytime. Plus I wont beat the heck out of a shinny new Exocet Windsup trying to learn to windsurf, and SUPing on the local rivers. But I am concerned about the lack of maneuverability and the board feeling like I'm trying to sail or SUP an inflatable mattress.

I've narrowed it down to two boards mainly because they seem the most windsurf potential and I'm very interested in learning the basics of the sport and seeing if I want to really get it to it.

Starboard WinSUP 10' 35" with daggerboard. $1549

Naish Crossover 11" $1299

There are number of other inflatable windsup options but what I'm really wondering if without the daggerboard or a long center fin is it really even worth windsurfing on? The Starboard Deluxe has the retractable daggerboard, while the Starboard Windsup Fun and Naish Crossover just have the longer center fin that can be installed. Starboard has the US fin boxes, while Naish has its own setup.

1. Does anyone have experiences with these boards?
2. Is the retractable daggerboard worth the extra $250?
3. How do these boards preform in general)SUP, Surf, Windsurf, etc? Maneuverability?

I talked to a dealer who said he took out the Naish in Maui and had it planing...i have my doubts.

I'm in Austin Texas so demoing the boards is not really an option. Any insight from you guy would be a huge help.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos on opting to learn to windsurf. I have no experience with isups. But I find it hard to believe that an inflatable sup would become someones primary windsurfer, especially if they get hooked.

Is there a place near home where you would regularly windsurf? If so I would just buy some used regular gear (board and sail) to learn on.

Presumably, you have regular sups and manage transporting, so I am not sure the added portability of an inflatable windsurfer makes sense as you will still need to bring sail, mast and boom.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

The Starboard 10 x 35 is a really nice all around board for SUP and windsurf, especially if you'll be fishing, windsurfing, etc... having the extra width will make life nice and easy.

The nice thing about the Deluxe construction from Starboard is the ability to go up to 18 psi, as well as utilize the kick down daggerboard. At 6" thick it is much higher volume, stiffer, and more stable than the 4" thick Fun construction or the Naish.

The Naish is another great option but will be significantly tipsier at 30" wide.

You'll find better glide and directional stability from the Naish. You'll find more stability and maneuverability from the Starboard.

Hope that helps! The Inflatable options are really pretty amazing these days, and way higher performance than you'd imagine.

http://wind-nc.com
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do "fish hooks" and "inflatable" belong in the same sentence? Sad
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The materials are basically the same as a white water raft. They can take an awful lot of abuse. It would be quite challenging to get a fish hook through there. In terms of standard wear and tear, bumps and bruises, etc, the inflatables can handle WAY more than an epoxy board, that's for sure.

johnhaagart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
Kudos on opting to learn to windsurf. I have no experience with isups. But I find it hard to believe that an inflatable sup would become someones primary windsurfer, especially if they get hooked.

Is there a place near home where you would regularly windsurf? If so I would just buy some used regular gear (board and sail) to learn on.

Presumably, you have regular sups and manage transporting, so I am not sure the added portability of an inflatable windsurfer makes sense as you will still need to bring sail, mast and boom.

I'll be sailing on a the local lakes for the most part, but I'm also excited to try it out on the gulf coast about 3 1/2 hours aways. 8-15 mph wind is common around here. Wind surfing in swells and light surf sounds like a blast once I have the skill to do it.
If I get hooked I'd probably look into a Exocet Windsup or something similar.. but I like the fact that I could just bring one one board and could SUP, Windsurf, and fish with it over the weekend. Maybe thats not very realistic. But I have started looking into finding a used long board like and old Mistral Superlight to learn on. It would be pretty cheap and I wouldn't be beating up a new epoxy board while I learn. Unfortunately there is not a lot of windsurf board for sail around Austin. Thanks for the help!
johnhaagart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC wrote:
Hi John,

The Starboard 10 x 35 is a really nice all around board for SUP and windsurf, especially if you'll be fishing, windsurfing, etc... having the extra width will make life nice and easy.

The nice thing about the Deluxe construction from Starboard is the ability to go up to 18 psi, as well as utilize the kick down daggerboard. At 6" thick it is much higher volume, stiffer, and more stable than the 4" thick Fun construction or the Naish.

The Naish is another great option but will be significantly tipsier at 30" wide.

You'll find better glide and directional stability from the Naish. You'll find more stability and maneuverability from the Starboard.

Hope that helps! The Inflatable options are really pretty amazing these days, and way higher performance than you'd imagine.

Thanks for the insight. This is my thinking. I'm not really hardcore in any of the board sports at this point, and I would hate to drop $1300-$2000 on a nice epoxy windsup with a daggerboard just to beat it up learning. Although sailing those boards sounds fantastic...best to go that route if I get hooked on windsurfing, and when my skills are more developed?

I was just keep imagining windsurfing on a inflatable starboard and its barely moving and hardly turns. Maybe I just read to many comments by guys who right those boards off but have never sailed one. That why I'm trying to hear form guys who have actually sailed one or seen them in action.
GregNoob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Naish Crossover Air. It's actually my second one, and I have only been using it for SUP.

The first one, I took out and while uphauling the sail on the 3rd or 4th time the brass threaded mast insert totally pulled out, leaving me holding the mast and sail. It shredded the plastic holding it in.

They wouldn't refund (even within 30 days of purchase), but did replace the entire board. I have yet to try it again with my sail, preferring my Bic Nova 160 (which I can also SUP comfortably), because I'm afraid of being stuck out in the middle of the lake, holding the mast and sail.

If I have a very light wind day and get curious I'll try it out again and follow up.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the biggest fans of the inflatable windsup boards.
I have used both the retractable daggerboard version as well as the center fin version. I like them both but the center fin version is $300 cheaper. Also the center fin version is better for paddling.

At 10' x 35" the board is 300L.

My small family (only one child) all get on it and sail around.
The board is a family favorite.

The ease of use on this board is off the charts.
The board takes very little room compared to other gear.

Mast base connection. - Starboard's connection is really strong. During development the board was attached (via the mast base) to a water ski cable for 8 hours. The board was absolutely abused all day in the test but the mast connection didn't break.

Good luck with your purchase.
Josh
(yes, I have a biased opinion)
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just came across this older thread and wanted to update it a bit. The boards have gotten even better over the last few years. Starboard's low cost Zen construction is now able to go up to 18 psi, they include US fin boxes rather than a proprietary box, and have added a "hard" rail (which still rolls up for storage) which boosts the planing windsurf performance substantially. Pretty awesome stuff! We just shot a little description video yesterday- check it out here if you're interested:

http://wind-nc.com/2016/06/starboard-inflatable-sups/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: