myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Champlain, vt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETHeath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Lake Champlain, vt Reply with quote

Hi Everone,

I'm looking for some people to windsurf with on the lake.

Gimme a shout
rollerrider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you are launching but
I always had company up at Cumberland
State park just above Plattsburg.
mikej1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are Los Roches in relation to Cumberland Pk. would like to sail there this fall.
ETHeath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: i Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your response. I've been wind surfing since 1990. Been a lot of places and have experienced some great and challenging conditions. I have been on a bit of a vacation from windsurfing. Got sick of chasing the wind around the globe and spending ridiculous amounts of money on equipment and vacations looking for wind. I could never survive if my life's pursuit was windsurfing. At least I don't think so. I still love it to bits though. I guess time and life has forced me to choose different paths but now I can revisit the love I found in windsurfing.

Just bought a Starboard 121 Carbon to test the technology of today but am rather skeptical about the performance. I have several boards, Mistral Explosion, Fanatic Rat, and two Dill Customs. Would rather not sail in 8.0 conditions...............6.0 is the max sail size I really wanna sail in. Was up at Lake C a few years ago and I was bike riding on the trail from Burlington to South Hero and on the way back It started to blow. By the time I got back to Burlington it Hadda be blowin 4.5 or less. WTF. Cant wait to get back on the board.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: i Reply with quote

ETHeath wrote:

Just bought a Starboard 121 Carbon to test the technology of today but am rather skeptical about the performance.

Hope you get back to windsurfing soon. But, upon what do you base your statement that I've quoted above? Do you honestly think equipment has gotten worse over the years? Just curious.
ETHeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: i Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
ETHeath wrote:

Just bought a Starboard 121 Carbon to test the technology of today but am rather skeptical about the performance.

Hope you get back to windsurfing soon. But, upon what do you base your statement that I've quoted above? Do you honestly think equipment has gotten worse over the years? Just curious.

I don't know. the Star-Board seems to have softer rails than my explosion which was my work horse for light winds. I had no problem getting it up on a plane with a 6.2 cambered sail in 10-15 mph and was able to plane through a jibe easily. I could also be comfortable with a 5.0 camber induced in moderate chop.

What I'm a bit concerned with is softer rails, the weight, wider beam and tail
which would seem to translate to skipping out in higher winds and slogging a bit at bottom end.

A group of use flew out to to gorge and rented Mistral Screamers. The board was to light for the conditions. Thats when I bought the Dill. I could't keep the Screamer in the water in that kind of wind. The Dill was awesome. I think the Dill is 5'6" Im gonna break it oitta moth balls today. Will find out what the length of the board is.

Saw a vid on youtube and the Starboard kick ass in what I would consider light winds. But never saw the guy sailing it pull off a clean planing jibe.

Slightly pessimistic but eternally optimistic. We'll see. will be heading up to the lake in a couple of weeks.
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starboard what board? explosion was derived from course slalom of the day, hard rails parallel outline square tail of course it would plane early. would compare to isonic line.
ETHeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf. wrote:
starboard what board? explosion was derived from course slalom of the day, hard rails parallel outline square tail of course it would plane early. would compare to isonic line.

STARBOARD SB FUTURA 121 CARBON
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likes mast base pressure and point way off to plane. there is a "magic spot" of front foot pressure just ahead of the front straps that helps. can;t just stomp on the fin to plane like the explosion. fast enough board. have fun.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ETHeath,

Welcome back to the sport! I'm just chiming in because I want your first day back on the water to be a great one that will get you hooked all over again. I'm a little concerned that you might be trying to sail too big of a board for the conditions you want to use it in. I've run into many guys getting back into the sport after a 10 or 20 year break and they don't realize that the length of the board has absolutely no relation to the wind range it was designed for anymore. Actually my board I use in 40 knots is longer than my slalom board I use in 10-15.....

Anyway, I noticed you said you really don't want to sail in conditions lighter than 6.0, but with the Starboard 121, you're kind of already getting out of the high end wind range of that board. With a big sail of a 6.0, something around 100 liters would do great. Maybe 110 if you wanted a little extra float. That Futura 121 is recommended for 5.5 to 8.5, so really 6.0 to 8.0 will be best.

I just don't want you to go out on the 121 with a 6.0 in 20+ mph winds, and get that same feeling you got riding the Screamer in the Gorge. In the Gorge especially, you need a smaller board for the same amount of wind you'd use anywhere else. That current makes the board get big in a hurry.... So the screamer wasn't really too light for the conditions, it was just too big for the conditions..... The rocker, rail shape and outline determine more about how a board will ride on the water than anything else. The weight will adjust how fast and lively it will feel in those conditions. (heavier = slower reaction/dead feeling) I know for me, I have much more control in very high wind 30 - 40 knots on a lighter, stiffer board that was designed for the conditions than an older heavier board. My board for anything over 25 knots right now is an 85 liter that's 14 lbs. And since I'm doing freestyle, I tend to use a bigger board than most, but I'm always in total control. A better idea of wind range for boards now is the volume. So given the same conditions, a smaller (lower volume), lighter board might be a better choice than a bigger, heavier board.

Also, the types of sails on the market now are very different than they were 15 years ago. For example, I'll use my 7.3 meter Slalom sail in about 20 mph winds, but on my freestyle sail in 20 mph winds, I'll be using a 5.0. Any which way you put it, if you're not racing, a no cam sail is much easier to use.

Just trying to give you some helpful info and make your first day back more fun than ever. Let me know if I can help any further. Always great to see people getting back into the sport!

Happy sailing,

Mike Burns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: