myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Thursday, late start at 3, got an hour in of solid planing on a 6.0 and the new 109 SuperSport. Then it started to get weird, switching directions in the fog.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: San Luis Res 7/17/2014 Reply with quote

Arrived a 2:30
Water Level about the same as yesterday .
Wind quality much better. Even and filled in all the way
across.
Rigged a 5.3 and Wave Board and that kept me pretty
powered went down to 4.7 about 4 but if was kind of
a Head Fake. I could get by with it but it was a little lite
in some spots. Went in and derigged about 5:30 and it came
back of course.
One other guy sailing from the other side,
Then one swing shift guy from Monteray came in about 6
as I was about to leave.

Last edited by ctuna on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
veterduet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Marina Bay Reply with quote

Went out around 2 and chased the wind line. gave up and came back. Everyone thanked me for being the "wind dummy" and left. Then the wind came up. Had a nice session practicing jibes to a westerly wind. You could call it a wind dummy's windfall.

Last edited by veterduet on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
bert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Palo Alto Reply with quote

Wed and Thurs at PA with the flood tide conditions. 5.3/95 trifin worked well. Coulda used a 4.7 on Wednesday. On Thursday it was good for an hour and half then the wind dropped like a rock from 18-20 to 0-5 with a pronounced southerly wind shift! I timed it right and caught the last puff and made it back to the dock semi-planing . On Thursday I decided to only do shortboard tacks ..tried 30, made only 6. Not too long ago I coulda made more than 50% of my tacks ( senior citizen decline?) Crying or Very sad
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Palo Alto - Friday Reply with quote

Sailed Palo Alto on Friday. Got there after 5, early birds already wrapping it up. A few late crew showed. For me 5.3 with big board fine even with slight flood current. Significantly softer wind and flatter water compared to 3rd Av. Fun tranquilo sailing, easy on the body. Glad I missed Thursday there, people still talking about the big shutdown and resulting swim meet.
veterduet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Marina Bay - Friday Reply with quote

As long as you didn't drift too far towards the Isabel dog launch it was a pretty nice afternoon with a westerley slant to the wind. 5.7 worked from 2 to 3:30. Spotted a seal about 50 yards from the beach.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tuning day Sat at Berkeley.
Got my new board close now, in strap and track positions, and tried high aspect 31, low aspect 31, and 33 swept blades.
Powered 5.5 with some big lulls (needed to work on glide and light wind trim in straps), but had to deal with too long new harness lines and slippery new boom.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us your review on the various blades.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
My reviews.... it don't matter which blade fin you're using for topspeeds, because everything else matters just as much, and we can never nail down the right sail kind, size, mast for windspeeds and sails, rider position mast track position, and exact lift of foil needed for that particular moment, boom height, sail draft.....it goes on and on.
Most of my buds use GoldWings, or slightly longer Falcons, or Deb 13 slalom fins.
I do just fine with a weirdo mixture of Rainbow, Ames, Finworks, 4 Goldwings, Kinetic, Lovells, and yes, one Mistral stock fin.
Remember, a slightly draggier fin can be OK if the winds get too light for max speed, as thicker or wider chords usually have more lift.
And when too much lift or drag is achieved, it's relatively easy to change fins.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Coyote on Saturday 5.3/110L. Sailed out to marker 5 and regretted not taking out a smaller board/sail setup because it was 4.7 out at the channel and the 110 Firemove was way too big. Headed back to shore to make the switch, but the closer I got, the more the wind was dropping..then the wind went almost southerly. Only one sailor still out there and we were worried about her because of the wind shift and dying winds. She (Jennifer of Team Coyote) eventually made it back to shore past the Boardsports shop. A lesser sailor would have had a really tough time so I was impressed.
Sunday 5.3/110L setup again at Oyster Point for a 2 hr session. Need the big board to make it out to Tigers, where the water is flat enough to make even a wide board feel small. Two other windsurfers about to go out as I was coming in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 55 of 329

Jump to: