myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind forecast for the gorge weeks 7/21 thru 8/1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Wind forecast for the gorge weeks 7/21 thru 8/1 Reply with quote

So I'm thinking of going to the gorge near the 21st and was looking up the weather forecast for those two weeks. It looks like the weather will be low to mid 80's with a chance of showers?
anyone have any thoughts on if the showers are thunder shower and will shut the wind off for days or just move the wind further out east to Arlington.
I'm used to sailing the hatchery when the wind is only in the corridor, but would rather sail out east.
I know a lot of you would have a better guess than I would since I try to figure out the bay area wind. which is just as confusing.

As long as the weather forecast is not calling for triple digits in the gorge there should be some wind. I just thought I would see what everyone else thought. Thanks Cool

gorge 2012 and furniture 003.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  14503 Time(s)

gorge 2012 and furniture 003.JPG

andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that would be a really long term forecast, can't quit go there. But July and August are the most consistent gorge and coast winds. Even if you get skunked out east or corridor there is wind somewhere if your willing to drive. places like Rooster, Kalama, jones and the coast. Beats the little waves on Maui.....
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya just goes or not, depending on factors other than the forecasts.
Even on any given TODAY'S forecasts FOR TODAY...
• The various sources disagree substantially.
• No one source is consistently even close, let alone right. If one was, the others would die on the vine.
• Some sources disagree even with themselves, with text and graphics at odds, and not just when somebody accidentally grabs an outdated graphic.

The wind here is simply THAT TOUGH to predict, even for the next several hours. I'll spare you the many incredible forecasting -- even AFTERCASTING -- mishaps we've seen, from simply puzzling to outright hilarious, but no one can supply you with decision fodder that far out that trumps your other factors ... school timing, home town wind, gas prices, coin toss, Farmer's Almanac, my dog, etc.

August is not the Gorge's greatest month, but if you expand your scope well to the east AND west, you could score well. I've seen August blow like hell for a solid week at Arlington, in Hood river, and at Clatskenie, but never in all three places; those were in different years. Come, bring all your toys, plan on driving and camping, and with enough effort, fuel, and awareness you may sail a lot.

Or not.

Mike \m/
starfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say your dreaming. Monday blew like hell. Today it blew ok. Who knows about tomorrow. Its suppose blow hard tomorrow. We will see.
Bring your mt. bike, golf clubs and your ski boat and your covered.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind forecast for the gorge weeks 7/21 thru 8/1 Reply with quote

I think, not having even looked at a medium range 7 day forecast
(which is almost useless by the way), that during that 12 day
period, 75% (9 of 12) of the days will have wind of 5.2 or better
for 1 hour or more, somewhere between Rooster and Rosey, but
most likely best between Swell and Doug's. There will probably
be 1 good day at The Wall in that period.

This is based on a loose probability calculation and guesstimate from
24 years of being there during that period. The other 3 days will be
really hot, and a good excuse to drink margaritas, and torture
yourself with the chance of big gear rides at Rooster, or The
Boat Ramp. ;*)

Presuming to understand what will happen from a 5 or 10 day forecast
is sheer weather arrogance, and will only cause you to become crazy.
I should know, I'm guilty of it.

I'm planning on getting those 9 days. (and some before and after then) ;*)

-Craig

2bluehawaiins wrote:
So I'm thinking of going to the gorge near the 21st and was looking up the weather forecast for those two weeks. It looks like the weather will be low to mid 80's with a chance of showers?
anyone have any thoughts on if the showers are thunder shower and will shut the wind off for days or just move the wind further out east to Arlington.
I'm used to sailing the hatchery when the wind is only in the corridor, but would rather sail out east.
I know a lot of you would have a better guess than I would since I try to figure out the bay area wind. which is just as confusing.

As long as the weather forecast is not calling for triple digits in the gorge there should be some wind. I just thought I would see what everyone else thought. Thanks Cool

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind forecast for the gorge weeks 7/21 thru 8/1 Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
The other 3 days will be really hot, and a good excuse to drink margaritas

Or drive (if conditions warrant) to Jones Beach and rip your arms off for days on end. I've posted a REALLY funny (and sad) story about that before.
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, don't risk it. Stay home.
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: should I or should I not Reply with quote

WaveSlayer wrote:
Nah, don't risk it. Stay home.

Thanks for all the input!

Yes I figured that I should have thick skin if I was to post something on the lines of this subject. see you in a few days A!
merriam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have a great trip. The wind has been wonderful this year so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: