myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail recommendation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Sail recommendation Reply with quote

Greetings. I am looking to purchase a new 6.5 freeride sail for 15-20 mph situations. I have a 135L fan shark. I weigh 165 lbs. Sail on lakes in the midwest. A little chop but not alot. I am an intermediate. I am considering a 2013 Ezzy Cheetah. Just wanted to get people input on this sail and how it compares to other brands. Any input is appreciated. thanks!
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheetah will be great. The thing about midwest lakes is that they are very gusty - the Ezzy sails are kind of soft which will help absorb gusts and give you smoother power delivery. I like my Ezzys better than my other sails and the ability to moderate the power delivery in gusts is the main reason. They also have good low-end to help with planing and getting a bigger board going.

I like my Ezzy Lion 7.5 with my Xcite ride 145 which is similar to a Shark I believe. The other sails I have are North and Goya which feel sharper and crisper but not as stable or comfortable.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SS77,
I have an Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah which I use on my Naish Titan 138 L and my Angulo SUP-Sail G'ud 10'10".
Love that sail. Should work great for you and your conditions. I use it on the ocean and Monterey Bay.
What rangerider said about Ezzy's is all true.
W1
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I know about Ezzy sails in general, they are very popular which says a lot, very durable and well constructed, made in Sri Lanka not China, they claim they treat their workers better. The sail sets with a lot of shape so they are considered powerful. Perhaps not the lightest. Takes a lot of outhaul. Works with most masts. I would say it's akin to buying a Toyota or Honda, perhaps not the absolute best performance but guaranteed all of their sails will perform very well. Excellent customer support, the American owner will answer your emails personally.
Hope that helps.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ezzy Cheetah 6.5 (also 2013) is my favorite sail. I can bag it out, or flatten it, to use it in a wide wind range. At my weight - 210 - I need a bit more wind than you do. Lots of guys where I sail on Lake Erie are using Cheetahs on 120 lt boards with success.

I also have a Lion 7.5 and a Cheetah 5.5. Yesterday I was having fun on a 7.5 Zephyr and a Firemove V2 122 lt board. The guys that weighed your weight were using 6.5 Cheetahs.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sail recommendation Reply with quote

SS77 wrote:
Greetings. I am looking to purchase a new 6.5 freeride sail for 15-20 mph situations. I have a 135L fan shark. I weigh 165 lbs. Sail on lakes in the midwest. A little chop but not alot. I am an intermediate. I am considering a 2013 Ezzy Cheetah. Just wanted to get people input on this sail and how it compares to other brands. Any input is appreciated. thanks!

I have an option other than the 2013 Cheetah

a EZZY 2014 Cheetah.

above 6.0 I have Cheetahs in 6.5 & 7.5 . The reviews of late on Ezzy both Lion and Cheetahs are glowing for ease of rigging and durability.

They handle a huge range of wind, the adjust-ability of the sail is amazing,you can sail the same same in a variety of winds. Materials are lightweight and durable. Mast is not overly critical and RDM or SDM work well esp the larger sizes, wont work so well with a soft or hard top mast.
Tech support and customer service is as good as it gets.

Ezzy is a American company , factory in Sri Lanka, workers treated with respect and fairly.

not sure what the 2014 changes were , but I like the '14 better
than a 2013 6.5

I may suggest a 7.0 or 7.5 for your range of use proposal.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sail recommendation Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
SS77 wrote:

I have an option other than the 2013 Cheetah

a EZZY 2014 Cheetah.

above 6.0 I have Cheetahs in 6.5 & 7.5 . The reviews of late on Ezzy both Lion and Cheetahs are glowing for ease of rigging and durability.

They handle a huge range of wind, the adjust-ability of the sail is amazing,you can sail the same same in a variety of winds. Materials are lightweight and durable. Mast is not overly critical and RDM or SDM work well esp the larger sizes, wont work so well with a soft or hard top mast.
Tech support and customer service is as good as it gets.

Ezzy is a American company , factory in Sri Lanka, workers treated with respect and fairly.

not sure what the 2014 changes were , but I like the '14 better
than a 2013 6.5

I may suggest a 7.0 or 7.5 for your range of use proposal.

Good comment on the 2014. There is a marker on the bottom (tack) of the sail which shows minimum, usual and maximum downhaul by comparing to the bottom of the mast. To me, that is idiot-proof - and I may be an idiot!

I have read that the top of the sail was changed a bit from the 2013 version for better upwind performance.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailworks Retro camless sail is in the same stature as EZZY is you want an alternative to compare. A lot of my friends sail EZZY.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aerotechsails.com/freespeed.html
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
SS77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all the great input!!! I appreciate it!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: