myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard WindSUP Freeride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None here yet, and this thing's all rocker. That why it turns on a dime whether planing or not.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:

the Starboard WindSUP Freeride claims to planes very easily and in light winds. Now I thought if I combine the Quick sail with the Freeride board I have everything, a SUP, a Quick sail to rig so I can Windsurf more, a Windsurf Board that my son can learn to Windsurf on, and a board that I can have a lot of fun on even in light winds.

So that is the dream. The reality is without more information I am not sure if that setup will fulfill the dream or end up being a waste of money.

Those lightweight quick to rig sail/booms aren't really made for wind of the strength it takes to get planing, their lack of battens will mean they are unstable and will be too hard to control. They are kind of small also, they are intended to chug you out slowly into the surf so you can turn around and ride waves in, sort of like an alternative to a paddle. Or to learn on, or for people who aren't really into windsurfing to try something easy.
You can't really have it all Sad On a board that size if you want to plane it's probably going to be with a huge sail in lighter wind because if the wind is strong enough to plane smaller sails the condition of the water will be too rough for a board that big that also doesn't have footstraps. And conversely if you are trying to plane it with big sails you'll need a big fin and the US fin box won't allow that.
It looks like the one you are considering is 12'2" X 29.5" it appears to have a US finbox and a Tuttle box for a center fin (fixed daggerboard) or retractable daggerboard. IMO, If the tail is indeed flatter I would guess it glides really well and could plane under certain conditions. Probably paddles flat water pretty good and can sail and SUP small waves pretty well. Daggerboard model weighs about 33 lbs, very heavy, this puts it in the category of the Exocet windsup 11'8" which would be a better board IMO as it has everything the SB does but also has footstraps and a fin box that will accommodate giant fins for real planing.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more thoughts, you are on Oahu apparently, you have mentioned kayaks so I'll guess you are in a flat water area, Kailua maybe? You haven't really talked about waves. Seems like you just want to get out and cruise around with the family on the water.
Those little sail/boom combos aren't really meant for using a harness and lines so you will have to hold the rig up which after a while will get tiring. My suggestion would be if you really want to sail a SUP just have the local ding repair guy slap a mast track in one of your SUP's for about $100 and see how you like that before slapping down big cash for a new board. Then you will have a better idea of what direction to go in, more serious into windsurfing then maybe a longboard for fast gliding and planing with big sails or shortboards in higher wind and smaller sails or maybe a compromise like you are thinking about here with the SB.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
On a board that size if you want to plane it's probably going to be with a huge sail in lighter wind because if the wind is strong enough to plane smaller sails the condition of the water will be too rough for a board that big that also doesn't have footstraps. And conversely if you are trying to plane it with big sails you'll need a big fin and the US fin box won't allow that.

That's why I'm enjoying my 8'3" SeaLion. I rig to plane in most lulls, and it has pleasantly surprised me from 3.7 @ at an average of 35 mph (would have FAR preferred my 3.2) in shoulder-high swell to lightly (and heavily) powered on my 6.2 from flat to thigh-high. I get passed all the time on beam reaches even by kites, which is a GOOD thing, as who wants consistent high speeds when sailing in chop and swell on a strapless sailboard 30 inches wide? It's fast enough, it goes upwind just fine, and with two fins I can use small fins even with my 6.2 ... no worries about overloading the U.S. finboxes.

But BIG sails? Nope. The mfr says its upper limit is ~7.0, and I generally believe that (bigger fins should extend that; I was on a pair of 22 cm twisty wave fins, whereas the west coast dealer says it will handle up to 34 cm wave-blades or Converts). But the dealer also estimated its upper wind limit at around 30 mph, and I already beat that every windy day, especially in the gusts (well over 40 is very manageable). At the other end of the spectrum, it's still fun way underpowered, because with body English, a little swell, and one pump, it jumps from a slog into a hard planing slash off the wind. Its full length rocker impedes glide, but it also provides the slash in the first place, so there are tradeoffs. I'm trying to learn how to hitchhike onto the next small swell as the one I'm on dies to maintain the plane even when underpowered. With a paddle, better balance and skill than mine, and some genuine waves, it planes just fine in no wind.

It's also mighty convenient to carry an SUP inside my closed-up Subaru, and to be able to carry it in one hand as easily as my little wave boards .. not counting the wind factor.

Don't misunderstand: when my knee is ready for footstraps again ... next season? ... I will far prefer a real, dedicated WS board, as sailing strapless in Gorge winds and terrain takes a lot of concentration and effort. But I can't SUP my real WS boards, they don't plane as early, and they won't get me back as easily when the wind pukes. Those factors get me sailing, and planing, when the wind isn't strong enough or consistent enough for any of my WS boards.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
My plans are changing as I read more about the equipment...

I lived most of my adult life on Oahu, surfed, windsurfed and kitesurfed there for close to 30 years. So you only have a 45 minute break for lunch, so I'm guessing you work in town somewhere? I worked downtown on Ala Moana Blvd for a while. I used to grab a pair of fins and walk to Pt. Panic for a quick body surf session during lunch. Good way to unwind in the middle of a work day. Which area do you plan on going? I don't know that town has any decent windsurfing spots, its mostly in the lee of Diamond Head. Rigging a windsurfer in 30 seconds sounds pretty optimistic to me. I'm using some windsurfing gear I got cheap off craigslist. These "sup sail" rigs they're selling seem over priced IMO. I'd guess that I'm able to rig in maybe 5-10 minutes, although it usually takes longer 'cause I'm talking story with other windsurfers. Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a tee shirt that says, "I'll talk to you when the wind stops".
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Kailua towards the Kaneohe side. I work from home so the 45 minute pre-lunch session would be in Kailua Bay.

Went out today in 12 to 13mph, was planing about 70% of the time with my 7.5 Ezzy Freeride and a 130 liter Freeride board from Naish.

Wondering if I had the Starboard or Excocet WindSUP would I have been planing 100% of the time.

Seems the Starboard Freeride does not allow foot straps which I think I would prefer, but not sure.

For anyone who wants to see what they offer you can visit http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2014/products/boards/windsup.

The WindSUP Action video they have there is useless as you can't tell what board they are on, what sail they are using, what the wind speed is, etc. I do see one Board with foot straps in the video but not sure if it is the Freeride.

I also see what looks like the board planing with the WindSUP Quick sail, but again not sure.

Here is a video showing rigging a 6.5 sail in 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDRfsKfb3c

I am interested in just cruising vs. surfing waves, and I don't have to be the fastest person on the water. If I am planing I am happy, and really I enjoy my non-planing water time too.

I think I could have more fun on the water and get out there more often, but buying a board and sail with this lack of information is like gambling.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you must be pretty lightweight to get planing on that kit in that wind, this is a tremendous advantage for you. At about 220 lbs I would be going no where.
Kailua has pretty light wind but it's also fairly steady, no too gusty if I'm not mistaken. The windsup like a longboard is good for up and down winds because when you aren't planing you can be gliding which is almost planing and they are fun in little waves but these are not your conditions or what you want to do. You just want to plane in flat or choppy water. A shortboard is great as long as you are planing but no good when you aren't planing, no gliding. At Kailua I think it's possible to get planing most all the time on the right gear, you just need a wider and probably higher volume board and maybe a bigger sail. You want a board with zero tail rocker and big fins. I don't think a windsup is the right board for you.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua? That's where I spent 90% of my time (plus Mokes, Kahala and Diamond Head). Know it well.

Quote:
Wondering if I had the Starboard or Excocet WindSUP would I have been planing 100% of the time.

I don't have experience with those particular boards, but from my limited experience on my Avanti SUP and talking to other WindSUP-ers, you don't use a WindSUP to plane, you use it as a way to schlog out past the white water to catch waves. Early planing isn't what they are designed for, paddling, catching waves and sometimes WindSUP-ing is.

I was using my Avanti for windsurfing more than paddling so I just picked up a formula windsurfer (for super cheap). Now that's a board that's designed to plane in sub 15 mph winds (and even down to 6-8 mph). Here in San Diego where the wind on a good day averages 10-15 mph, you can easily plane 100% of the time with a formula board and a big sail. Problem is, formula boards typically suck in big chop and because of their deep 70cm fins, shallow water. Kinda rules them out for Kailua I think.

So maybe the call is to go with a wider board and bigger sail? One of those lightwind freeride boards?

Two people you should probably talk to in Kailua: First is Tony Groman (the "Cave Man"). He's the expert on light winds in Kailua. He's pretty well known amongst the kite crowd in Kailua. The other is Josh at Hawaiian Watersports. He's been a windsurf gear (starboard mostly) dealer in Kailua for ever. I haven't been back to Kailua for a few years but they were both still around the last I was there.

At any rate, if you just want to tool around in sub 15 mph winds, a WindSUP will be fine. But if you want to plane in sub 15 mph winds, you'll need a lightwind oriented board (formula or similar) and big sails. I don't think there's any other way around it.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, you are right. I am 160 lbs. I used to be 150 and even the extra 10 pounds I believe makes it a little harder to plane on my current board.

Starboard is advertising the Freeride WindSUP as a planing board. They are saying it is so easy to plane that you don't even have to try, it just happens automatically. They have two WindSUP Freerides, and one is called the WindSUP Freeride 12'2 Planing, so Planing is part of the boards name. This is what is so interesting about these boards, if they really plane that easily.

gobigkahuna, I do know Josh, I just purchased a new Ezzy sail from him. I know a Tony who is well known and might be the Tony you are referring to. I do think Formula would be too big and the fin too deep as you mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: