myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Spinout?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Spinout? Reply with quote

Getting spinout today with the Ultrasonic147 and the Lion 9.5 paired with a Makani Hahalua 48cm weed fin. Is this fin too small for my needs or is it more likely my technique or setup?

I was able to gather it up ok but I would've guessed the weed fin to be fairly resistant to spinout if appropriately sized. Thanks
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has shown spinout is more technique related than equipment related. (watch Freestyle sailors sail with no problem with a TINY fin). But on the other hand I have limited experience with large sails and weed fins. So I'll let others address the equipment part Cool
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed fins don't have as much spinout resistance as does a blade fin (straight up and down), if there are no weeds, go to a blade.
Beings that you are using a really big sail, that would mean you could use a blade anyway.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try moving your boom up a bit. This will make it a bit harder to pressure the fin. Also do not head to wind until you have good speed. Flatten the board by pointing you toes. Riding the windward rail will cause spin out. Bigger fin as a last resort....
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a straight fin but I have weed to deal with now so I have switched to the Hahalua. Novaan - I tried pointing my toes to flatten the board which works, however, I then have to pull upwind with my front footstrap to stay on a reach rather than turn downwind. I have something wrong because I really have to load my back foot to stay on a reach or upwind which contributes to spin out. I already have the boom near the top of the cutout - I'm 6'3" so I usually put it high - especially on the Ultrasonic with its concave deck.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
I have a straight fin but I have weed to deal with now so I have switched to the Hahalua. Novaan - I tried pointing my toes to flatten the board which works, however, I then have to pull upwind with my front footstrap to stay on a reach rather than turn downwind. I have something wrong because I really have to load my back foot to stay on a reach or upwind which contributes to spin out. I already have the boom near the top of the cutout - I'm 6'3" so I usually put it high - especially on the Ultrasonic with its concave deck.

Well you have a good fin, so it isn't a fin quality issue. I'm assuming no damage to the fin. Make sure you are leaning your body forward of the mast (think look AROUND the mast) for going upwind. If you are going through any chop, remember to lighten your pressure when you go over the chop. I would also play around with the mast location. I would say move it forward but I don't know where you have it now. Also make sure you have accelerated to a good speed before trying to go upwind.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

move the mast base forward 1 inch and try it again
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last poster was on the right trail, but mast base back, all the way back with weed fins. the C of E shifts back as weeders have so much rake. there is a lift element, straight up into the sky with any fin, as one shifts that lift aft from the fin box, the mast has to shift back as well.

if the board is too whetted, via the aftward lift of the weed fin, the rails fight the lift of the fin= spin out.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:

Jinge is right. The weed fin CLR (Center of Lateral Resistance) is futher back than on a normal fin. If you assume a normal sailing stance, the COE of the sail is now too much in front, making you go downwind. To compensate, you have to bring the sail back more than usual, and you have to move your harness aft. You can only do so by shifting your weight on your back leg. Bringing the mast back in the track will help you assume a more balanced stance while on a reach.

I'm not sure why a balanced stance reduces spin out, but it seems to work. I think it's mostly because I'm able to be much smoother when I control the board with 2 feet. It can also be because if you apply pressure at the back of the board, it pushes it to turn upwind leading to a possible stall of the fin, while pressuring forward on the board turns it downwind, with no possible spin-out effect.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the board is too whetted the lift of the rails conflicts with the lift of the fin.

not enough outhaul can make one spin out too. don't go all flat, just a cm at a time to reduce the spin out probabilities.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: