myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard WindSUP Freeride
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Starboard WindSUP Freeride Reply with quote

I am considering buying the Starboard WindSUP Freeride and have searched the internet for some videos showing it off, but have not really found anything.

One video from Starboard never shows it on the water, and in Starboards promotional video the only time I think I can see it is when Bjorn is riding with his kids on it, which looks like fun, but I don't plan on always having my kids on it, so I want to see it without kids too.

So my question is how do I really understand more about this board to decide if it will work for me? I called a few shops that sell it and no one there has used it.

If anyone from Starboard happens to read this please put out some more videos for these new boards.

They look really nice and you say this one "is the future" of windsurfing, but with no videos showing it with different sails, different winds, different conditions, etc. it is hard to take a leap of faith and buy a very nice (but not cheap) board and just hope it will meet my needs.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, given the variety of competition, why the Starboard? Surely some of the many other brands and models offer more information.

I understand your concern. A Mitsubishi pollster once called me to ask if I'd buy their car based on their TV ad showing happy people riding in one. I involuntarily laughed out loud, and explained that I want many pages of facts before buying any product worth the effort. Hell, I Google the reviews before I buy a $20 cellphone case or screen protector; have you Googled windSUP reviews? You're off to a good start asking here.

Big Winds in Hood River carries several brands and several models of each, and their whole staff has gone bonkers over SUPs. I suppose that includes windSUPS, but even they haven't tried all the many options.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

I am also looking at the Exocet WindSUP 11.8.

Like you I want to read reviews on everything I buy today, regardless of the price, so the idea of spending $2,600 on a new board and sail without really having a good idea what it can do is a bit frustrating.

I spoke to Big Winds and they were as helpful as possible but they did not use the Board or the WindSUP sail that is recommended for it, so they were just speculating about it like me.

As it is a WindSUP I would also like to see it being paddled as that will be 25% or more of the usage. While it is fun to see Bjorn on the board, my skill level is 1% of his, so it would be nice to see an average Joe using the board too, again in various conditions.

They talk about how easy it planes in light winds, it would be cool to actually see that in action.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you live on Oahu, I've got to ask whether you've considered the SeaLion discussed in the other recent windSUP threads. It's designed for light air wave riding under paddle or sail power and doesn't require any special "windSUP sails". I've enjoyed mine in winds from <3 to >40 mph in the Gorge, and that's nowhere near its optimum venue. It also SUPs just fine and costs half of your cited price.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into the SeaLion. Thanks for pointing that out.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a Starboard forum, somewhat active I think. You could find out the details of the board from their website and make an educated guess about it's capabilities. For instance volume, footstraps, tail rocker, fin boxes etc...Kanaha Kai on Maui is a Starboard pro center, the owner Bart is quite a SUPer maybe he could help you. He is quite friendly, I buy stuff from him and he ships it to me on Kauai. He is a windsurfer but also the guy that paddled the whole Hawaiian islands chain, remember that?
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So my question is how do I really understand more about this board to decide if it will work for me?

I've been windSUP-ing a Starboard Avanti for almost a month now and although it is a completely different board from the one you're looking at, my experiences might be helpful to you.

When I originally bought the Avanti, my plan was to use it mostly for paddling (in small surf) and maybe once in a while as a "cruising" windsurfer. Well, one month later and my plans have shifted 180 degrees. I'm using the Avanti mostly for windSUP-ing flat water/chop and paddling flat water. As a windSUP I'd rate it as adequate but not great. Its rocker, weight and side biter fins, which would be great in surf, make it a mediocre windsurfer. For paddling flat water, again, I'd say it's decent. Had I known I that my plans would change so drastically, I'd have looked at a board like the one you're considering: flat rocker, single finned, more windsurf oriented.

So what are your plans for the board? Perhaps if you share that we can help steer you in the right direction?
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plans are changing as I read more about the equipment.

My initial plan was I wanted an additional SUP for the family and then I realized if I am going to spend the money on an SUP, why not be able to use it for Windsurfing too.

As I was exploring WindSUPs I came across Aerotech WindSUP sail and also the StarBoard Quick sail. I then started thinking if I could rig a sail in 30 seconds, I would be doing a lot more Windsurfing.

If I am trying to catch a quick before lunch 45 minute session I like taking Kayak or SUP because you are on the water instantly, so more water time. If a sail took just 30 seconds to rig I thought maybe I can do more Windsurfing.

I also noted the Starboard WindSUP Freeride claims to planes very easily and in light winds. Now I thought if I combine the Quick sail with the Freeride board I have everything, a SUP, a Quick sail to rig so I can Windsurf more, a Windsurf Board that my son can learn to Windsurf on, and a board that I can have a lot of fun on even in light winds.

So that is the dream. The reality is without more information I am not sure if that setup will fulfill the dream or end up being a waste of money.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check out the Starboard forum and Maui shop too, thanks for the tips.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flatter tail rocker = planning.

lotsa tail rocker = frustration of planing expectations

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: