myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Treasure Island 7/6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Treasure Island 7/6 Reply with quote

This past Sunday I figured I would sail treasure since Crissy looked like it was going to get fogged in. I was surprised that no one there even though at 1:30pm it was still ebbing a bit and ripping windy, easily over 20 knots most of the time. The apartments near the launch are now empty and have a gate around them but there is space to get by between the fence and the building next door. There is also another area near the launch that has a gate around it now as well as tons of radiation warning signs. I was going to go out until I realized I forgot my radio and headed to 3rd for a good session. There was someone launching a kite off a boat for a lesson right off the jetty.

I read an earlier thread about the launch being hard to get to with the new gate but people were still sailing Treasure. Did I just not wait long enough for people to show up or are we not supposed to launch there any more?

jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We launch there all the time. Maybe due to the holiday weekend other stuff was preempting TI sailing. I myself was in the Delta all weekend. The TI regulars tend to show up later in the day, and many have family commitments that keep them away til late on the weekends. Then there are the Dawgs who sail there from time to time, but they tend to stick together, so if someone makes a move to Candlestick they all go there. Usually. On days where the TI crowd and the Dawgs all decide to sail TI it can be fun! I like early sessions on the weekends, sailing up to Quarry Beach on Angel Island for a landing and some beach-combing, followed by the roller-coaster downwinder back to the launch!

Steve
tomg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed there on July 4, 7, and 9 and yes only a few folks out each day, but perfect conditions every time (5.0 or 5.3 sail). I think fewer come to TI on the flood days - are they worried about lack of swell or being swept downwind of the launch? i don't really get it since there is plenty of swell even on a flood. And with a big fin, you will have no trouble staying upwind of the launch. Yesterday winds changed over the afternoon but there is normally a gradient from TI to Angel and up toward SF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: