myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for Aussie windsurfer coming to California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conormate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well well, what a fantastic response to my inquiries, thank you to all for your effort.
Looks like Cabrillo will be first stop for me, whilst the wife and daughters hit the shopping, i'll gladly disappear and head down and say G'day,.
Our plan is to spend 4 days in LA then off to Vegas for another 4. Then hire a RV/Van whatever and hit the road, probably head back to LA hang out for another couple of days then slowly slowly head south with 2 weeks up our sleeve. We have nothing booked, just kinda suck it an see. Any spots i should pay a particular attention to?
Anyway i can't wait to get there, its bloody freezing here in Sydney about 16 degrees C today with a howling bone chilling westerly about to hit.
Below is a link to the site we all use down here, get on say hi, not a bad bunch of blokes to say the least.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw.asp

Thanks again for your replies.

conormate
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given you have an RV and time , after Vegas I'd say "head north" rather than south if you have sailing in mind ( or anything apart from desert vistas) .... the San Francisco area, the Delta... Mr. Google can help you find some places to rent gear from...
Plus you can travel up through the gorgeous Sierras which are quite something compared to the little bumps we call mountains in Oz.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you're passing through Pacifica. New organic burrito place. The Green Enchilada. Manor next to Safeway. Best carnitas burrito ever. Regular for $5.50 with chips.

Windsurfing? 2014 has been very windy. Every launch has it's charms. Njoy!
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the time of the year to visit the SF bay area...Forget Vegas. If you must, 24 hours is plenty. Come up 395, cross the Sierra (Tioga pass will blow your mind) and descend into the cool, windy Bay. You won't regret it.

P1010041.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  705.13 KB
 Viewed:  13149 Time(s)

P1010041.JPG

spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reno on Sunday. 106F

spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later that day. Fogg, Schmogg. Can't tell you how nice it was to get back into Pacifica.

allen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this in your RV (hopefully a pretty small RV):

Start out in LA, pick up a board at Kirk's and head to Cabrillo Beach for some flat water blasting. Next day go up to Leo Carrillo State Beach in Malibu just south of the Ventura County line for some down the line wave sailing on a 6 ft south swell. Then drive up to the Central Coast for some more down the line rides w/the Kite Krew up at Arroyo Laguna. Stay at Moonstone Beach and go to the Sea Chest for dinner. The next day it is up Route 1 the scenic way through Big Sur. Stay in Monterey for a night and then speed up to the Davenport/Waddell area and once again wave sail with a bunch of kiters. Next, hustle across the penninsula and sail the bay swells at 3rd avenue. Then, onto Crissy Field and the vodoo chop amongst the beautiful city views. From here, cross the Bay Bridge on your way to the the Delta (which used be called the Little Gorge before the wind dropped down several notches) and jump as high as you can during the legendary ebbs.

Reverse and Repeat.

Other areas to explore near the great city of San Francisco are Larkspur (sail past San Quinten), Candlestick Park (about to be torn down) and Treasure Island (a nuclear waste station).

If you really want to windsurf, Vegas and SD are not destinations for this trip.

Enjoy Mate!
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen wrote:
Try this in your RV (hopefully a pretty small RV):

Start out in LA, pick up a board at Kirk's and head to Cabrillo Beach for some flat water blasting. Next day go up to Leo Carrillo State Beach in Malibu just south of the Ventura County line for some down the line wave sailing on a 6 ft south swell. Then drive up to the Central Coast for some more down the line rides w/the Kite Krew up at Arroyo Laguna. Stay at Moonstone Beach and go to the Sea Chest for dinner. The next day it is up Route 1 the scenic way through Big Sur. Stay in Monterey for a night and then speed up to the Davenport/Waddell area and once again wave sail with a bunch of kiters. Next, hustle across the penninsula and sail the bay swells at 3rd avenue. Then, onto Crissy Field and the vodoo chop amongst the beautiful city views. From here, cross the Bay Bridge on your way to the the Delta (which used be called the Little Gorge before the wind dropped down several notches) and jump as high as you can during the legendary ebbs.

Reverse and Repeat.

Other areas to explore near the great city of San Francisco are Larkspur (sail past San Quinten), Candlestick Park (about to be torn down) and Treasure Island (a nuclear waste station).

If you really want to windsurf, Vegas and SD are not destinations for this trip.

Enjoy Mate!

I wouldn't worry too much about TI being a nuclear waste station. Been sailing there for years with my buds and we haven't had any effects yet. I kinda like my 3rd eye too, helps spot my landings Smile Skip Vegas, go there in the off season. It's a big ripoff anyway. Spend your time in the bay, delta or coast around abouts San Francisco. This time of year, head to the Delta. Sail TI on an Ebb. 3rd Avenue out in the channel in an Ebb can't be beat.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your motorized and have gear definitely hit the delta. then you're less than an hour away from sf bay.

there's a nice rv park at sherman island, one near the candlestick launch. a couple of them near the larkspur launch
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise would be to skip Southern California entirely, you think the traffic is bad in Sydney? Unless you have someone to see there San Francisco is a much more beautiful city, the weather is pleasant and there is everything to do there.
With three weeks you could even drive up to the gorge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: