myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 318, 319, 320 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Seemingly, based on isobars WSJ link, one must subscribe to the WSJ to read the opinion piece. For those of us that don't subscribe to the WSJ, that means isobars post and reference is effectively meaningless. No big loss really, since the WSJ essentially caters to those right wing looking for hate and anti-liberal viewpoints on practically everything. Who needs the twisted propaganda from the right? I'll look at it for free, but I would never consider paying for it.

If you want to read Mikey's article, look here. It has been copied and reposted on someone's blog.

mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Caleb Rossiter is Iso's go to guy on climate change? His credentials:
Degrees
PhD, policy analysis, Cornell University, MA, mathematics, American University.

Military expert, perhaps.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the Mail on Sunday jounalist plays Devils Advocate to the IPCC 95% correct future predictions, but the paper selects what they see as credible sources such as Curry, and the Russian Academy, both of which are well versed in their fields of research and should be answered, whether seen as mavericks or not.

Mavericks, with imagination, have often in past times hit on correct scientific explanations against the prevailing consensus of the time. (Coperncus, for example.)

As regards peer review of theories still being worked on, lack of definitive data one way or the other may prevent a definitive answer. As has been stated, the next 5 to 20 years may clarify the issue. Either, warming will be held in check, or even reversed a little, or the IPCC and current consensus will be proven righjt. Time will tell.

P.S. Two amazing Tour de France days over my favourite Yorkshire Dales passes which I regularly ride. It was fantastic being able to ride our bikes over the closed roads (hundreds of us roadies), and up the very pass thronged with cheering spectators, just an hour before the opening caravan cavalcade, while waiting for the race proper. Two little lads on tiny low geared biukes (with dad beside them on his bike) were pedalling and spinning furiously up the climb at all of about 3 m.p.h., but keeping going, with thousands cheering and clapping them on. The lads had beams on their faces to rival the sun. I'll bet they never forget that!
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
So Caleb Rossiter is Iso's go to guy on climate change? His credentials:
Degrees
PhD, policy analysis, Cornell University, MA, mathematics, American University.

Military expert, perhaps.

In Mikey's mind, Rossiter's only worthy credential is that he echo's Mikey's view.

All else is irrelevant.

(BTW..... Cornell ain't so bad.)
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--saw bits yesterday--the amazing breakaway, eclipsed by the crash. I'm training for the Marin Century. That's one with 7,000 feet of climbing. Six big hills as I recall, with two of them painful. Of course, at about 80 miles everything starts to hurt. I could ride 118 miles--at slightly over half their pace--but then I couldn't walk the next day. Quite a race.

Serving on a science institute board, peer review is the name of the game. It is much easier to poke holes in a paper than to have one survive the process. I am still waiting for a definitive, peer-reviewed paper by the Russians or Judith Curry which moves the bar.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
GT--presumably your post comes from British press such as this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681829/Global-warming-latest-Amount-Antarctic-sea-ice-hits-new-record-high.html

Hea there jimmymac, thanks for posting that link again, it's very insightful, as is this one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's politics, not science, driving climate mania: Why are environmentalists and scientists so reluctant to discuss long-term increases in southern hemisphere sea ice?
UN computer predictions subject of ridicule: not got it right for 18 years
Across the globe, there are about 1m sq km more sea ice than 35 years ago
Authorities are now guessing global temperatures based on nearby weather stations
By Andrew Mountford, Climate Change Author

Published: 16:01 EST, 5 July 2014 | Updated: 18:54 EST, 5 July 2014

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681812/Its-politics-not-science-driving-climate-change-mania-UN-predictions-subject-ridicule-stunning-failure.html#ixzz36jq3IKSO
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But feel free to slam the source again, and then just walk away, your favorite MO, I wouldn't expect anything less.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nit wit obviously understood neither the article nor my discussion of it. When should we burn your school?
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know jimmymac, with all this school burning down stuff that you've been suggesting over the last couple of years, it would make one to pause and think about just what is this former EPA consultant, really thinking.
You are OK aren't you?
Sometimes you make me worry.
Just saying.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly now nit wit, tell me what the temperature of the Antarctic in summer is. Next tell me how global warming might have affected the Antarctic. Then tell me, are you a fool, or a pimp for the carbon industries?
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here-
~~~~~~~~~~~
Government Data Show U.S. in Decade-Long Cooling

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s most accurate, up-to-date temperature data confirm the United States has been cooling for at least the past decade. The NOAA temperature data are driving a stake through the heart of alarmists claiming accelerating global warming.

Responding to widespread criticism that its temperature station readings were corrupted by poor siting issues and suspect adjustments, NOAA established a network of 114 pristinely sited temperature stations spread out fairly uniformly throughout the United States. Because the network, known as the U.S. Climate Reference Network (USCRN), is so uniformly and pristinely situated, the temperature data require no adjustments to provide an accurate nationwide temperature record. USCRN began compiling temperature data in January 2005. Now, nearly a decade later, NOAA has finally made the USCRN temperature readings available.

According to the USCRN temperature readings, U.S. temperatures are not rising at all – at least not since the network became operational 10 years ago. Instead, the United States has cooled by approximately 0.4 degrees Celsius, which is more than half of the claimed global warming of the twentieth century.

Of course, 10 years is hardly enough to establish a long-term trend. Nevertheless, the 10-year cooling period does present some interesting facts.

First, global warming is not so dramatic and uniform as alarmists claim. For example, prominent alarmist James Hansen claimed in 2010, “Global warming on decadal time scales is continuing without letup … effectively illustrat[ing] the monotonic and substantial warming that is occurring on decadal time scales.” The word “monotonic” means, according to Merriam-Webster Online, “having the property either of never increasing or of never decreasing as the values of the independent variable or the subscripts of the terms increase.” Well, either temperatures are decreasing by 0.4 degrees Celsius every decade or they are not monotonic.

Second, for those who may point out U.S. temperatures do not equate to global temperatures, the USCRN data are entirely consistent with – and indeed lend additional evidentiary support for – the global warming stagnation of the past 17-plus years. While objective temperature data show there has been no global warming since sometime last century, the USCRN data confirm this ongoing stagnation in the United States, also.

Third, the USCRN data debunk claims that rising U.S. temperatures caused wildfires, droughts, or other extreme weather events during the past year. The objective data show droughts, wildfires, and other extreme weather events have become less frequent and severe in recent decades as our planet modestly warms. But even ignoring such objective data, it is difficult to claim global warming is causing recent U.S. droughts and wildfires when U.S. temperatures are a full 0.4 degrees Celsius colder than they were in 2005.

Even more importantly than the facts above, the USCRN provides the promise of reliable nationwide temperature data for years to come. No longer will global warming alarmists be able to hide behind thinly veiled excuses to doctor the U.S. temperature record. Now, thanks to the USCRN, the data are what the data are.

Expect global warming alarmists, now and for the foreseeable future, to howl in desperation claiming the USCRN temperature data are irrelevant.

Of course, to global warming alarmists, all real-world data are irrelevant.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2014/06/25/government-data-show-u-s-in-decade-long-cooling/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 318, 319, 320 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 319 of 573

Jump to: