myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Equipment bags
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomasphoto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Equipment bags Reply with quote

Are there any equipment bags that hold everything and
Attach to the top of the car ?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "everything"?
How would you lift a big bag full of "everything" onto the roof?
Ever try to lift a bag of many irregularly-shaped pieces of anything?
How would you secure it so it doesn't settle/shift, loosen, and blow or fall off?
Or flap to the destruction of the bag, your roof paint, and your sanity?
Can you even IMAGINE the flora, fauna, rodents, and reptiles inhabiting that bag before long?

If you can answer those questions and more to your satisfaction, I'm sure some shop can fabricate any size bag you can imagine.

Or just leapfrog ahead by a decade and buy a van now rather than AFTER you've tried every other Rube Goldberg stopgap measure we all did before we wised up.

Until then, if you have a garage, hang four hooks by ropes from the ceiling. Drive beneath them. Lift each corner of your loaded roof rack a couple of inches onto its hook, freeing your car for solo use. When it blows, lower the loaded rack onto the roof, secure it to the car, MAKE SURE IT CLEARS THE GARAGE DOOR, and away you go. That worked fine for my 300-pound Chevy Blazer fiberglass top and for roof racks full of WSing gear ... until I wised up and bought a van.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.nauticexpo.com/press/severne-sails/sail-quiver-bag-27104-202874.html

Most companies sell something like this "quiver bag" which will fit masts and sails sometimes booms
B737

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of bags...
im looking for a bag that will survive the saltwater, elements of being tossed in the back of a pickup truck, that will contain all the 'incidentals', like all my rubber bases, a few extensions, all fins, and assorted hardware... all the extra little crap we have to haul around.

Ive been using a single zipper 29" long and 10" tall camping duffel that i got at sports authority but getting the bigger sized fins in there is a bear, plus its only one compartment so everything is lost in a sea of crap.

i like loading the truck, then just grabbing one bag with everything in it throwing it in the back and going. wet or dry.

can any of you guys recommend a gear bag that does it all for the fins and bits?

(i dont want a fin bag + another bag i'll just forget one of them behind)

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that anyone is making a well designed bag for everything. However, many manufacturers make bags that fit masts, sails and booms (if they are narrow enough). I would look for those that fasten to the racks through straps located at the bottom of the bag so that you aren't crushing the contents. If you've got the extra money, you can buy a dedicated mast extension for each sail and keep them in the individual sail bags so that when you grab a sail you've always got the right extension. For universals, a winch, screwdrivers, spare line, other tools and fins, you can put it all in a small bag that is stuffed into the large bag.

For boards, it's best to have them in their own special bags. Similarly, it's best to have another dedicated bag for your wet wetsuit, trunks, harness and booties. For larger booms, you can strap them on top of the boards, or on top of the large sail/mast bag. However, that's not ideal, because tightening the boom down to the board can result in compression dents or worse. If the boom is attached to the large bag, you'll need a separate set of fasteners that will ultimately tend to crush the sails. Keeping the booms in the car just might be the best solution.

isobars makes a good point about having a van. I've had a van for the last 24 years that holds everything in a secure organized fashion. Also, a van is ideal for camping and sleeping. Most importantly, you always have everything, so there's nothing to forget in the rush to the beach. Probably the biggest lament you hear from non-van owners is the item they forgot to load for the day. It's a never ending tale.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go: This 118" X 96" Big Foot bag should hold enough boards, mast, booms, sails, pieces and parts, food, etc. for a day or three. < $40 from Amazon. Good luck gettin' it on top of your SmartCar. Very Happy

Details at http://tinyurl.com/m3ebgoo .

Last edited by isobars on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
flpnhndl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those NP bags several yrs ago that held sails, masts and attached to the luggage rack but the zippers corroded in less than a season. I guess NP thought the zippers would never be exposed to salt water?
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related topic--
I would love to see a waterproof sail quiver bag, that you can keep inside your car or SUV on your way to & from the beach, that is able to fit 3 or 4 sails (no masts or booms) *completely wet* and (being waterproof......) the quiver bag will not leak inside your car on your way home.

I know that there are many other ways to transport one's quiver, but what I've described above would have it's uses - BUT a truly waterproof quiver bag does not seem to exist!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body bags.

Seriously.

Google 'em.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterproof incidental storage:

a. Homer bucket
b. plastic storage containers (Kmart, Target, etc)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: