myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for Aussie windsurfer coming to California
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conormate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Tips for Aussie windsurfer coming to California Reply with quote

G'day fellow windsurfers, I will be heading over to California with the missus and 2 x kids for a holiday,whilst there I hope to get in some slalom/ flat water blasting sailing. We will be in LA for a couple of days to start with then we are heading down the coast to San Diego. We have nearly three weeks to spend so any ideas/ tips on sailing spots with hire facilities would be appreciated. I also plan on picking up a carbon boom and some speed/ weed fins so if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could pick up a bargin would be very helpful. In Australia we get ripped off on windsurfing gear so I plan on making some much needed purchases.

Cheers

Conormate
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo is the most consistent wind in the LA area. The wind is thermally driven and is usually solid from 3-5PM. Cabrillo outside is B&J ocean sailing, there is only one closeout wave to get over. The inside is flat water, no waves. A few miles away is Belmont Shore which is protected by a breakwall, waves are minimal. The wind is not as strong a Belmont and there are lots of kites, but there are shops/restaurants/entertainment for the non windsurfers. If you really want flat, Alamitos Bay is the beginner windsurfing beach. Captain Kirks is a good local shop very near Cabrillo (also has a good local access guide on its website). I also hear good things about Jurg's shop. San Diego is not a good place to windsurf, formula only this time a year (if even that). You will be much less frustrated if you surf or SUP. Consider buying a 8' foot ($100) foamie from Costco (cheaper than a week or rental). Also stand up paddling is nice down here. The waves here are GREAT and the water is warm (~22C right now). PM me if you want to know more about where to surf/SUP in San Diego.
http://www.captainkirks.com/
http://www.windsurfdeal.com/
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a California fin company, run by Chris Radkowski, a top formula sailor, that makes slalom, formula, and kite-board fins. Their web site is: http://www.f4fins.com/index.php/products
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4 fins look very interesting, but the lack of pricing on their website for their products is a notable omission. What is the price range for a D2 slalom fin? Also, what would the normal leadtime be?
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better wind to be had in San Francisco - see if you can get up here.
mikecole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... if you'd like to dabble in the surf, book a week with Solo Sports and catch the flight out of Brown field to PSC. All gear, food, drink included.

WARNING:
If you catch a good south you will forever be ruined. You will come home a different man. Very few starboard tack right handers on the planet will compare.

Mike
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor, Captain Picard hit the nail on the head straight away with the suggestion to check out Cabrillo Beach in LA.

Definitely a good spot for non-wavesailors. Nice and reliable wind.

Just make sure you come before Fall...you are going to come soon, right?

See the attached screen shot from global.iWindsurf.com from just now. As you can see the wind at Cabrillo Beach knocks the socks off of anything you're going to find to the south (whilst still remaining in the USA).

Smart money would be to extend your stay in LA for a full week -- to get a taste of some Cali windsurfing, before heading south and enjoying pure beach and surfing hedonism in locales where some locals are known to board surf every single day for 1000+ days in a row. (A girl in San Clemente recently hit some sort of record along those lines.)

Map centered on Cabrillo Beach
http://global.iwindsurf.com/map#33.686,-118.24,9,1

Have a fun trip!

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 3.06.31 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  632.08 KB
 Viewed:  22610 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 3.06.31 PM.png

dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
Now that you are in California the good news is Maui is only 5h away........

Cabrillo is an absolute Mex-Fiesta-Sepo-Drool.............
Nor. Cal way better.........
Santa Cruz No Ka Oi.
P.S. San Diego : Better bring the 10m2 Sail............

Get smashed............Woooooooooo

Hey , come to Leo Carrillo and maybe you'll meet Gregor.... G'don ya mate! Bull
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DaBull

This is supposed to be informative, Not a cultural exchange!

G.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for Aussie windsurfer coming to California Reply with quote

Conormate wrote:
G'day fellow windsurfers, I will be heading over to California with the missus and 2 x kids for a holiday,whilst there I hope to get in some slalom/ flat water blasting sailing. We will be in LA for a couple of days to start with then we are heading down the coast to San Diego. We have nearly three weeks to spend so any ideas/ tips on sailing spots with hire facilities would be appreciated. I also plan on picking up a carbon boom and some speed/ weed fins so if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could pick up a bargin would be very helpful. In Australia we get ripped off on windsurfing gear so I plan on making some much needed purchases.

Cheers

Conormate

As a fellow Aussie ex-pat I think you will be pretty disappointed in the sailing in the LA region compared to, say Sydney. But Cabrillo is your best bet for reliable wind and I assume Captain Kirks still rents gear and is close by. AFAIK, there are no other retail outlets for windsurf gear in the LA-San Diego region.

As far as picking up gear. I recommend using an on-line store like Isthmus ( my favorite) since the pickings are pretty slim as far as walk-in stores are concerned. The problem will be shipping as you are a moving target. Perhaps talk to Captain Kirks and give them a list of gear you want and get a good package deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: