myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windmills at Sherman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/1 wind was obviously much stronger at the park access/park, but then filled in to Viento and the Sign-so smiles all around. This AM (7/2) again wind was much better at the park, def a notch lower at the Sign. Sort of a lightish morning but sailable on 5.5 or so. Looked pretty marginal at the Sign on the way out, but then wind was backing off then from the graph. See you at the Access Wink
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know I'm wading into deep turbulent waters here, but is there any chance of moving the RVWA campground up to the access. I guess that would have to wait until after the fish release project huh? Just a thought.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd said: "Sort of a lightish morning but sailable on 5.5 or so."

Lightish is a 5.5? What, do you weigh 160 pounds? I dream of sailing a 5.5! Living north of L.A. and weighing 215, my go-to sail is a 7.8! Can't wait to get up there tomorrow and sail some "lightish" wind!!!

beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightish is in comparison obviously, but it looks good for folks coming up from Socal for 4th. LOTS of thick fog, Sacramento still too hot etc. Hey remember when the mag did polls of what your go to sail is. On the west coast it was 5.5 while in the Midwest it was 7.5 or bigger. Question for the Socal folks; do you travel to where the wind is when camped out at Rio, E.G. San Mateo, perhaps Berk or PI, coast? Average sail size for Maui I'm guessing would be 4.7 and Gorge 4.0? BTW I weigh 217 and used a 5.7, another little guy was on a 5.0 and we both sailed up from the access to above the park where it seemed a bit stronger-upwind illusion?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's illusionary at all; you just got a cleaner shot at the WNW. As for Tuesday at Rio Viento, it really was just about as crazy as the M14 graph indicated. At one point it was "averaging" 19 mph and I was fully lit on my new 4.7. Being an old guy I kind of wore myself out dialing it in, but after that it was smooth sailing despite the gusts. Just for fun I went back to Big July 2010 and the graphs mostly look like the 2nd one below. The 3rd graph is from this June and, ignoring the down time, is indicative of much of the wind we've been getting the last couple of years. Since I pretty much sail only out of RV, I have adjusted my gear to suit the prevailing conditions. Cross 104 and Firelight 5.5 allow me to enjoy a brief uptick without having to change gear, only to have the wind drop again minutes later. Older freeride board and 6.0 got big too quickly.

M14,7-1-14.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.88 KB
 Viewed:  12569 Time(s)

M14,7-1-14.gif

M14,7-8-10.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.16 KB

M14,7-8-10.gif

M14,6-20-14.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.88 KB

M14,6-20-14.gif

Last edited by Arrgh on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last trip to RV was over Labor day weekend of last year and I had a 6.4 rigged for 3 days. It was the right call for me most of the time. This 4th I'll have a 5.7, 6.4 and 7.5 with me. From the looks of the iW forecast I won't need the 5.7.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
My last trip to RV was over Labor day weekend of last year and I had a 6.4 rigged for 3 days. It was the right call for me most of the time. This 4th I'll have a 5.7, 6.4 and 7.5 with me. From the looks of the iW forecast I won't need the 5.7.

Just bring the 7.5 and it's bound to nuke. Very Happy
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
jpbassking wrote:

Just bring the 7.5 and it's bound to nuke. Very Happy

Haha! funny how that works.
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Never Know Reply with quote

A year or two ago my bud left his 3.7 home-wouldn't need it. That was when Berkeley went Gorge (Gorgekeley) with the mega-surge. Bring everything. He had a 4.2 and I was way over on my 4.2 at the sign-killer. IT was June 6, 2013.

newgraph.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.86 KB
 Viewed:  12544 Time(s)

newgraph.gif

Last edited by beallmd on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dennis_c

Good charts. They seem to demonstrate the point.

You'll notice that the lulls on the 2014 chart happened when the wind direction changed from SW to W. Were as the 2010 chart which has less lulls shows pretty consistent SW winds. The period when the wind lessened in 2010 shows a bit of a change to the W as well. Kinda proves the point.

The windmills have little effect on winds with S but the second they switch to the W or N the wind drops as in 2010 with no windmills and 2014 with lots of windmills. Though admittedly the 2014 winds are effected more, most likely from the windmills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: