myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP board for a lightweight?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: WindSUP board for a lightweight? Reply with quote

My wife gave my WindSUP a try last weekend and is hooked on it. She last windsurfed 15 years ago but had no problem handling my monster sized SUP and a 4.7m sail. Time to get her a board. She almost only paddles / sails on flat water (protected bay with chop) and she weighs about 110 lbs. We're in San Diego, the lightwind capital of the world, so typical winds will be under 12 mph. Ideally, it should be a board that she can carry. Suggestions?
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look's like your wife all ready found a board!
So u need one now.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the AHD SeaLion (many discussions of it lately). It fits the carry criteria well, at about 18 pounds and only 7-6 in length for someone her size (and much bigger experienced guys). SEARCH for it here, Google its website, and Google up dozens of SeaLion videos. The CA dealer is in Ranchos Palos Verdes at windsurfdeal.com. Its forte is (very) light air wave sailing. I enjoy my 8-3 version from paddling it for miles on flat water to sailing it in 35 mph (average) winds in the Gorge, and I'm a rank beginner on windSUPs.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleRandy wrote:
Look's like your wife all ready found a board!
So u need one now.

LOL! No way! That Avanti is so huge and heavy I have to carry it for her, heaven forbid I get two big boards!

@Isobar - I know the AHD SeaLion's got a big following. That shop is about 2 hours north of here, but might be worth the trip. I think her biggest concern will be that it's too short. I got her a 8' board once and she really wasn't happy with it.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Jurg has a demo available. As for the 8 footer she disliked ... as you know, length is just one of MANY factors to consider.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a older, cheaper, light wind sailboard?
I used to use a 292Kinetic Light wind slalom as my SUP board, it being 69 cm wide and 140 liters I weigh 155lbs.
Have used a Mike's Lab 9' x 72cm also, but it's too light for my wobbly lack of balance, so I just procured a Fanatic Shark 145, at 75cm wide, which should be good enough.
In PuertoRico, I often use a Hypersonic122 for SUP, since it's a worthless windsurfing board for windsurfing. That one is 76 cm wide.
My g/f, close to the same weight, uses a JP YoungGun at 82 cm wide and around 125 liters for SUP and non planing tiny surf conditions.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why not a older, cheaper, light wind sailboard?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't run into any recently on Craigslist, but will keep my eye out for some of the boards you've listed.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an Exocet Speed Slider 77cm on sale here in buy/sell. That's bigger than 135 liters for sure, something someone under 150 lbs. can SUP.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most practical thing would be to just continue to carry your big WindSUP for her.

But there are some smaller windsups with daggerboards, like the RRD Longrider, and the Exocet Windsup 10'0 that she might like and could possibly carry herself.

If you go older than the 2000s the longboards are going to be a lot narrower and less stable for SUP, and they won't have padded decks.

If go you with a no-daggerboard SUP like the SeaLion it will be a lot harder for her to stay upwind.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem pointing quite well on my daggerboardless SeaLion, and one or two models of SeaLions have Powerbox daggerboards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: