myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Brace for torn rotator cuff
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenjo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Brace for torn rotator cuff Reply with quote

Tore my rotator cuff (don't ask) ok, I'm 61 and was attempting to walk in to my house at 5:30 am after picking up the newspaper out at the mailbox. Fell off the step and crashed right on the shoulder.

For tons of reasons I'm a avoiding surgery for the foreseeable future but want to continue sailing. Because I sail like I walk I find myself water starting occasionally (ok, almost every turn, ok, every turn) and am looking for some type of brace that would restrict arm lifting.

Any suggestions, thoughts would be appreciated.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Shmuck

Iam no spring chicken, and have had some of my share of surgery .

not a DR know it all either , but my 2 ˘

you can do alleviate some pain with shots, ( I only ever had 2, never again)
and over the counter or stronger drugs, to perhaps maintain a sailing posture.

you COULD injury yourself where it becomes necessary to operate and then may not be so pretty or convenient
you COULD have a major event that includes life threatening

myself I would consider having the surgery and look forward to the after,
my carpel tunnel took over the winter to heal, my bride had the shoulder bit, took even longer.
cant see any brace helping.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your fall-it sucks getting old. I completely tore my Rotator cuff three years ago. Cost me 3 months and the first half of windsurfing season. Then in the fall had a scope to clean up some loose stuff that I could feel in there-felt like I was going get it caught and really tear something. That surgery was a breeze, I was good to go in a week or two but my rotator cuff was completely gone and could not be repaired. Yes I've had a couple of steroid shots into it and they help if if it gets real bad-same with both of my knees. BUT I'm 62 and still sailing and as enthusiastic as ever. The only downside is I can't hand you up a six-pack of beer-there's nothing there, occasionally it affects lifting the sail to waterstart. The body does have terrific healing abilities.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several suggestions:
Educate yourself. Google rotator cuff braces. There are many; try to determine which, if any, provide reliable relief and protection.

Repair and/or rehab as advised by one well-chosen surgeon or two popular surgeons followed by a well-qualified physical therapist.

Long-term, get serious about building strength and endurance in both cuffs ... vital at our age and in what we do. Loose RC muscles let our shoulder parts (sorry about the heavy medical jargon) move around too much, leading to pain and further injury. Even if you reject the idea of surgery right now, you still need sound medical and therapy advice to recover what you can, minimize further injury, and make a sound decision about how long you can postpone treatment without serious risk of permanent damage.

Get a dog and teach it to fetch the paper (or hold off on the alcohol at least until afternoon). Very Happy I stagger anyway when going out to the mailbox; I must explain to my neighbor some day that it's a medical issue, not booze.

I tore mine decades ago. It didn't warrant surgery, but bothered me for many years. Time and proper exercise (it takes just a few, simple, non-sweaty, light exercises to rebuild -- if possible -- those small muscles) are enough in many cases.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having just fckd my shoulder, i can tell you water starting is no fun
nor is reaching for the boom on jibes….i was 1 armed water starting

make sure you can swim….seriously

I could hold the boom very soon after the injury, but i think was a mistake to sail…maybe i tore more stuff

3 months later, with aot of work, i am much better

i know nothing about braces and went with constant small motions and myofascial release….now i'm starting to add weights…..alot of people tell me the surgery made the pain go away

good luck ... sleeping sucked

johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brace for torn rotator cuff Reply with quote

SHMUCK wrote:
Tore my rotator cuff (don't ask) ok, I'm 61 and was attempting to walk in to my house at 5:30 am after picking up the newspaper out at the mailbox. Fell off the step and crashed right on the shoulder.

For tons of reasons I'm a avoiding surgery for the foreseeable future but want to continue sailing. Because I sail like I walk I find myself water starting occasionally (ok, almost every turn, ok, every turn) and am looking for some type of brace that would restrict arm lifting.

My first question is how do you know you tore it? You can injure your shoulder and not "tear" the ligaments. But if you haven't seen a doctor, then you don't know. If it is torn, then doing stuff that you don't have 100% control of your body (like windsurfing) puts much more at risk.

I have "shoulder impingement". It's an injured shoulder, but not really torn. Mine hurts like hell some times after windsurfing or kayaking other times not at all. The cure? Rest, ice, anti-inflammatory meds, then rehab. But you won't know any of this without seeing a doctor/physical therapist.

Now if you have already seen a doctor, then you would already know what you actually have and would know if should even consider windsurfing till you heal it.....
merriam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brace for torn rotator cuff Reply with quote

SHMUCK wrote:

Bracing shoulders is difficult. This one might work somewhat: http://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/sully-shoulder-stabilizer
Kenjo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the responses and ideas. I am also a carpenter general contractor working full time so constant "rehab" Is not a problem. My Doc (who also windsurfs) diagnosed the complete tear from an MRI. The surgery is one option but the down time and rehab of 6 - 8 months is a tough one for the self employed.

I did windsurf a couple of days ago without much discomfort in fairly mundane conditions and was hoping to locate a brace that would keep my elbow supported against my torso while water starting.

Sleeping is definitely a bitch!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had shoulder surgery. It took 1 year for full recovery. My son had shoulder surgery, it took 6 months. You should consider surgery after this season if you haven't gotten better. There are many supplements/drugs that I can recommend. One is Wobenzym. The other is Indomethicine. Of course 4 advils 3-4 times a day also helps.

Do not underestimate supplements and anti inflammatorys. When combined with exercise and a low glucose diet, you may beat the thing. Best to overdue the caution than undergo the knife! Good luck.

PS, yes I know gluten free is the new fad, but if you have any inflammation, a reduction in gluten and sugar, combined with advil etcetera can work wonders on your joints.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just coming off shoulder surgery and the long recovery (6 months). First, I should say that my shoulder problem really didn't impact my windsurfing so much, but I was quite crippled with respect to many normal shoulder movements. Also, sleeping on the injured side was impossible.

Initially, my problem was with my right shoulder, but i was reluctant to undergo surgery. I underwent physical therapy for a few months and ultimately waited it out for 8-9 months. The time allowed my right shoulder to recover to a great degree, but unfortunately my left shoulder screwed up big time and got very painful down to my elbow and wrist. Having had MRIs done on both shoulders, it was discovered that I had some nasty bone spurs on both shoulders that were impinging on tendons. Finally, because of the extreme discomfort, I elected to have surgery on my left shoulder last November. I have to say that recovering from shoulder surgery takes some time, but unfortunately, that's there's no way to really get around that.

I'm now getting back into windsurfing, and all is going well so far. While I still have a potential problem with my right shoulder, I'm good for now and not inhibited too much. Knowing now how difficult a shoulder surgery can be, I'm not eager to deal with my right shoulder unless the bigger more painful problems resurface.

I guess you need to decide whether your problem can be overcome over time. In my view, I would gain the advice of an orthopedic doctor to help you figure out what's going on. Also, you might invest in physical therapy to see if you can realize some improvement over time. If that doesn't work, you need to bite the bullet and proceed with surgery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: