myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New freemove boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed the AtomIQ 110 for 2 weeks in Bonaire and ordered one for home. I've sailed it now and I have to say "ditto" to what NOVANN says about it. It is hard for it NOT to plane. I was on a 7.5 and a 138 l wide board (96 cm) and planing for over an hour, and then decided to try the 110. The wind had dropped but I just had to try. In the puffs, the darn thing would get up and go without any urging from me! I was definitely impressed. This board will eliminate 2 boards from the quiver in my van. I do sail on relatively flat water and it is perfect. What a treat!
The one downside is that nearly all my larger fins are tuttle box and the AtomIQ is a powerbox (for a change from Starboard...). Have to buy a few new fins to go with the large sail range of the AtomIQ now.
I have also sailed the Firemove 122 and it is a nice board also. But too close in size to my wide board 138 Free Formula.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fin that comes with the board is a Drake 38cm freeride. I don't really care for it much. I use a MFC Liquid Pro 34 cm on my 5.5 and a 38cm with my 6.5.
Another point about the board. It sails 10 to 15 liters bigger than a standard board. So if your thinking 125 liters, you might want the 110 Atom. The 120 is a very big board. I might have been better off with the 100 liter board at my body weight and the largest sail at 6.5. Depends on skill level...
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novaan, how old was your rocket? I am surprised the new widestyle IQ is faster than your old rocket and can keep up with a Hawk. Good news. Sounds like these boards are freemove, freeerace and freeride all in one! Only possible downside I am hearing is slogging upwind and may be rough in chop. Then again, maybe just go over the chop? Interesting starboard put a powerbox on it.

I like the idea of having one board in the 4.5 - 7.5 range for non wave sailing.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
Gvoglesang - please post additional points of comparison to the xcite ride as you gain more experience with the new board. I am contemplating buying an Atomiq 120 or Firemove 120/122 as an alternative to my xcite ride 145. I'm hoping for better turning / earlier planing / and higher top speed without the bouncing through turns but that is a lot to ask. Then again, in the reviews these boards promise all of that - the only downside I would expect is a rougher ride over chop. I don't want to spend $2k unless the difference is significant - thanks.

Nathan

Yes, I will have to take my X-Cite Ride 134 (actually 2013 board) and try it in the same conditions as the Firemove.

I am pretty close to ordering a Freemove 120 or a Atom IQ 120 because, well, just because. I like toys. Or maybe even the 110 in either.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

counter intuitive. jibes on short and wide boards require power on more than longer and narrower boards do. technique for better success that worked for me: carve gently at first, flip the sail really early, carve harder after powered on the new side of the sail. then switch your feet. or, duck jibe. same effect, planing maintained.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 2010 and 2012 Rocket 115 LTD. Both boards are in still in use at the lake. Its a pretty short reach so the first to get going is the winner. Maybe at SPI where you can go for miles the Rocket would be as fast. I rode the RRD wide boards and did not care for them. The Atom has tail cut outs. It feels like the board has two speeds. Barely planning where you going but not riding on the tail. The board isn't that fast and wants to head up wind. When you bare off and let it run, it gets on the tail and the cut outs. Its like another gear. The board gets lite and fast. All the extra width disappears. Just the tail in the water. This is when the board is very fast and will fly up wind or down. I found that the board likes a higher boom. Its seems (for me) with the raised boom the board gets on the tail much quicker. Just my opinion but in lite and gusty wind the others can't keep up. As for the "needs more power" in the jibes thing, I find the extreme glide of the board allows for less than perfect technique and it will still exit on a plane. I sail both types of boards. When the wind picks I get on my small narrow board. Its way different and a lot of fun. That said, its more challenging to make the narrow board exits a turn with speed than the wide board. I'm an older but experience windsurfer with 31 years on the water. I think the new freemove boards will greatly extend your planning time, allow you to use a smaller sail and are just better in lite and gusty wind. Just be aware that they are big for their volume and you should consider going with less volume than you think you need. High wind guys and advanced riders don't need the extra width
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting opinions.
I find there is little difference in jibing between my 9'2" Seatrend, at 58 wide, compared to the Exocet WarpSlalom 71, both boards now in PuertoRico.
The only difference is the need for a wider step out on the 71, as both plane out of jibes almost every time if I'm semi to overpowered and semi smooth waters.
For me, a lighter weight rider at 150 lbs., the thickness of the tail determines how the board jibes more than the width.
I do find the Futura 111, with it's very thick tail, is hard to consistently jibe at full speed and full plane.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
For me, a lighter weight rider at 150 lbs., the thickness of the tail determines how the board jibes more than the width.

You would feel that even at my 170 lbs. I think that is where those potato chip type boards will help. Much easier to sink the rail with less beach ball push back in chop.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, twas looking at the newer prototype 125 liter slalom boards, most around 80 cm wide, but only a touch over 3' thick at the finbox area, and not going much thicker to the mast track.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this thread, and I have been reading threads about these board on a couple of different sites.

From what I have gathered, the two most popular boards in this range are the Starboard Atom IQ 110, and the Simmer Freemove 110. Or, at least, those two seem to be the two boards that are fast, maneuverable, and can be sailed in a large wind range. The RRD is also close, as are the Gecko and Magic Ride.

I am thinking that a light wind board - like a real wide early planer (my old Formula board, a Supersonic, a JP Super Lightwind) or a Kona or Kona CarbOne, and one of these, and a freestyle wave, would be a fine 3-board quiver for a lot of us.

One of these, a freestyle wave, and a dedicated wave board would be a fine 3-board quiver for the younger, more athletic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: