myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New freemove boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AG80

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Exocet X-cross 115 and it is now my most used board. Planes very early, turns well, and overall fun to ride in my conditions. I primarily sail lake conditions with up and down winds. I most commonly use 6.5 and 7.5 sails and this combo works great. I have used in 5.0 conditions and it is doable but a little bouncy. Overall, very happy with the purchase.

I have also sailed the Fanatic Gecko 105 and 120, RRD FM 110. All are very similar, the X-cross happened to be available and at a good price.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in hearing how these new wide styles compare to new hawks and rockets in similar volume?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my Rocket 115 ltd to my windsurfing buddy. Its 242x66. I have the Atom IQ 110 its 235x74.5 Mine fits in the short bed truck better. His is a bit liter. Mine gets going sooner and will carry a bigger sail. His is a bit smoother in ruff water. Mine is a bit faster top end and to windward. His requires more effort at non planning speeds. Mine is much more forgiving in the turns and exits with speed very easy. His is more technical to make good turns. Mine will coast thru lulls and keep on a plane well after his stops. We use the same sails and have about the same skills and are the same size. I can rig half a meter smaller and keep up or pass. When the wind starts to die, Its seems like I get an extra half hour or so before I need to come in. He gets to have a beer sooner than me. Even though mine is a bit faster its not as lively on the water. This can be good or bad depending on the rider. I can bear off and go as deep down wind as I like and the board stays glued to the water. Its fast but not scary when going fast.. I highly recommend both boards. The Rocket if you have good windsurfing skills. You don't need the extra width. The Atom for less skilled or bigger riders. Lite and gusty wind, The Atom for sure.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today at the lake Three of us went out early. All people I sail with regularly. It was lite wind but starting to build. One guy on a 2014 Isonic 107 carbon and a 7.5 race sail. He is always the fastest guy on the water. One guy on a 2013 Hawk 125 and a 7.5 freeride sail. Me on a 5.5 Cheetah and the 110 Atom IQ. I couldn't keep with the Isonic but it was closer than you would think. He got me to wind and in the holes after the turns. The guy on the Hawk is new to the lake but a good sailor. My Atom got going as quick in the holes, was faster windward and top speed and kept going in the lulls. Both guys had to go in as the wind picked up. I stayed out longer on the 5.5 and when it filled in, I just plugged in the 96 liter 3s. Maybe it was just my day
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually unfair to compare older rockets vs newer stuff. they had those huge double concave sections aft. sucks for early planing for the sake of comfort and control when lit. doubles also can take away from top end.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Today at the lake Three of us went out early. All people I sail with regularly. It was lite wind but starting to build. One guy on a 2014 Isonic 107 carbon and a 7.5 race sail. He is always the fastest guy on the water. One guy on a 2013 Hawk 125 and a 7.5 freeride sail. Me on a 5.5 Cheetah and the 110 Atom IQ. I couldn't keep with the Isonic but it was closer than you would think. He got me to wind and in the holes after the turns. The guy on the Hawk is new to the lake but a good sailor. My Atom got going as quick in the holes, was faster windward and top speed and kept going in the lulls. Both guys had to go in as the wind picked up. I stayed out longer on the 5.5 and when it filled in, I just plugged in the 96 liter 3s. Maybe it was just my day

Nice!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
if you have time after a ride or 2, post your impressions

just curious where did you purchase the RRD ?

Purchased my board from Isthmus Sailboards.

I sailed it for the first time tonight. Mid teens wind with gusts over 20 when I started, I rigged a Cheetah 6.5. The board planed up very easily, and went upwind great - which I like because our launch is in an inlet, and it is best to get out into the channel. So, that was easy.

I didn't make any gybes. My sense is that it is not quite as forgiving in mid-teens wind as my X-Cite Ride 134, because it turns faster and when I made a mistake, the X-Cite ride provided a bit more for/aft stability to recover. The Firemove will turn into the wind faster when I blow a gybe.

tonight is the first time that I have sailed in planing conditions since last fall. I am way out of shape, and I look forward to working out the gybes with the board. It definitely feels that it would be easier to sail than the 134 X-Cite ride in fully powered 6.5, and even into 5.5.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing - was easier to waterstart than my other boards. Perhaps it is because the board is flatter, and easier to get aboard.
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gvoglesang - please post additional points of comparison to the xcite ride as you gain more experience with the new board. I am contemplating buying an Atomiq 120 or Firemove 120/122 as an alternative to my xcite ride 145. I'm hoping for better turning / earlier planing / and higher top speed without the bouncing through turns but that is a lot to ask. Then again, in the reviews these boards promise all of that - the only downside I would expect is a rougher ride over chop. I don't want to spend $2k unless the difference is significant - thanks.

Nathan
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Maybe it was just my day

And having the right gear sure helps. I have a question for you about the fin that comes with the Atom IQ 110. It appears to be a fairly straight 38 cm, and similar "potato chips" come with comparable fins. I know that they have wide tails and a large sail range, but are you using a smaller fin with the 5.5?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: