myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sells 36" (or longer) harness lines?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Who sells 36" (or longer) harness lines? Reply with quote

I'm a big guy with long arms and am looking for a set of harness lines. I measured my forearm and I should be riding 36" lines. Anyone got suggestions on where to buy some? Adjustable lines would even be better.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy these.

Discard the rope and tubing.
Buy longer rope and tubing.
Make your new lines as long as you like.

I just switched to longer lines because I sail differently on a windSUP. I moved up to 24". Smile
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you measuring the rope? From the boom arm to the end of the harness or actual rope measurement? While expensive, check out the Chinook race lines. They can extend pretty far and are easy to adjust on the run.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the late 70's / early 80's, when I first started windsurfing, we used to make our own from line and tubing. I guess I could always resort to making my own again, but had hoped I might find some pre-made lines. The Dakines and Chinooks are both max. 32". I found some at Hot Sails Maui that are 36" but was hoping there were other options.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
How are you measuring the rope?

I read the labels. Anything else is too inconsistent among the different manufacturers. My Chinook and Dakine 24s measure 24 from boom arm to boom arm and from arm center to arm center, respectively. On the "Dakine scale", I guess that makes the Dakines 24s and the Chinooks 23s.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
Way back in the late 70's / early 80's, when I first started windsurfing, we used to make our own from line and tubing. I guess I could always resort to making my own again, but had hoped I might find some pre-made lines. The Dakines and Chinooks are both max. 32". I found some at Hot Sails Maui that are 36" but was hoping there were other options.

Like I said, how are you measuring??? Rope length?
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm measuring from the boom, around my elbow and back to the boom (like shown in this picture: http://cdn2.coresites.mpora.com/boards/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Pic-H1-Line-Length.jpg )
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
I'm measuring from the boom, around my elbow and back to the boom (like shown in this picture: http://cdn2.coresites.mpora.com/boards/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Pic-H1-Line-Length.jpg )

I meant the harness length. Seems like manufactures measure it differently. When it's windy enough, I'm able to set my chinook races to 35ish (rope length). Ill double check again tomorrow.

-Kevin
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kevin - From what I'm seeing, a lot of the store listings don't even include the length of the lines (which makes it even tougher to decide which to buy). I found a bunch of articles advocating using longer lines, but have yet to find any product out there.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Sail harness lines a a high quality product, adjustable lines sounds like a good idea but I have read people complaining the Dakine adjustables have a weak point with the metal clasp which always fails.
I buy stuff like this from Bart at Kanaha Kai, they share the building with the Hot Sails loft and sell all their gear. He ships it USPS which is cheapest by far. Since different brands measure differently I gave Bart the measurement I wanted and he figured it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: