myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ban the Forum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso raising the shields to block out that which he doesn't want to hear. Self imposed ignorance...

download.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.99 KB
 Viewed:  10003 Time(s)

download.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
It detracts from the site and windsurfing in general when simple posts about windsurfing spiral into personality flame wars. It is one of my least favorite parts of this forum.

I've said the same thing, ONLY WITH GREATER EMPHASIS AND VOLUME, literally at least 100 times in the 20 years I've been in this and other WSing forums. I've filed formal complaints about it with the hosts and moderators of various forums including this one, as have others. I've pleaded with the attack dogs to cease and desist, to no avail. They consider it acceptable human behavior, I consider it subhuman.

One MODERATOR, Don of NWWindtalk on Yahoo, actually stated that false personal attacks are acceptable, but that even polite responses asking for explanation or evidence are banned. (BuhBYE!) One complainer said he was repeatedly told by Weatherflow (aka iW) management that the fighting (my word; we don't know what words iW used) was a cash cow for the website and would not be stifled. That's disgusting, but iW data is vital to me, so I stay with the site. And because I like writing so much, I stay with the forum. I would not if I hadn't implemented a killfile.

Ad hominem, including false personal attacks, lying about what others have said, deliberate misattribution of motives, flame wars, pissing contests, et.al., are far from being "one of my least favorite parts of this forum". This sick behavior is a whole 'nuther class all by itself to me, something I would never tolerate in real life. Fortunately for both sides, I've never personally encountered in real life the primary behavior that puts people in my killfile.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
Just a suggestion. I haven't been here all that long, and I don't have any enemies here (that I know of) Probably shouldn't even be getting into this. It detracts from the site and windsurfing in general when simple posts about windsurfing spiral into personality flame wars. It is one of my least favorite parts of this forum.

I welcome your post, part of the flame wars is a longevity spiral and constant close to useless posts, by but a few, that after so much ans so often it not only detracts from the site but the information that is put forth.

Yes, you should get into it.

my ? then is What are the other least favorite parts of the forum ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
ONLY WITH GREATER EMPHASIS AND VOLUME
Run for your lives!!!! She's gonna blow!!!!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Darbonne wrote:
On other forums that I frequent there is an ignore poster feature. This forum needs that feature.

Yup. Big Brother is our only hope. God forbid we should do something for ourselves.

Really? So what is your alleged "killfile" all about?

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Ignore feature.... why receive all the points of view when you can just stick you head under the sand?

There are more ways to look at it than that. Time is not infinite, people want to select what they think is in their best interest (or block what they think is not). This is called editing. I for one would be happy to be blocked from anyone who does not want to see what I have to say. It's rude IMHO to think otherwise. There is also the phenomenon of the thread hijack, which is not simply someone offering opinions that some may not want, but of changing the topic (usually to themselves.). I suspect that few people who are actually seeking useful information would block sources for the purposes of sticking their head under the sand. That's how I see it. Do you think that Isobars' use of what he calls his "killfile" is him sticking his head under the sand? Or do you support him in blocking certain sources from appearing before him. I think it would be
fine that he be able to block objectionable sources, though I've never actually believed he had the ability.

Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I pressed some buttons with the ignore suggestion. I don't have any reason to use it personally. The only reason I suggested it is it seems to cut down on some of the flames on other forums. There are a few on this forum who seem to have intense dislike for one another. Perhaps they would use this feature, perhaps not. It really doesn't make any difference to me. I like it here and have gotten some good advice that has helped me become a better sailor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: