myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Love the Chinook Fin Fast!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it doesn't work as designed, and you end up breaking the screw tab off your fin, you can always use a "Re-fin", do they still make those?
And when your hands get tired from messing with fixing your fin(s), you can always strap "Da Claw" on your wrists, to hang onto the booms, do they still make those also?
I always thought that "Da Claw" should have been called "Launching Hooks".
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Chinook ones, the screw itself is a little odd, self taping, not maybe as thick and the screw with nut. It may pull out/strip on impact, but rather than breaking a fin or box would be better MUCH better.

I will use them for sure.

To align the screw/ square nut on regular setup, I insert the nut, then fin and align with a piece of wire, so hole in fin and hole in nut are aligned.

Always test the bolt length to fit and start in the nut BEFORE you get to the windy beach, fins and bolts hardly ever seem to fit.

This a feature in Windsport from the test editor Derrik from Delta Windsurf, it works , if you want to modify existing... the Chinook is a reasonable considering the cost anyway.

Maui Ultra Fin have a option of a open hole on the fin, never tried it.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they still make those, but you can drill a hole and
glass in a cotter pin (from the days when I couldn't even afford
a used $20 fin)

-Craig

nw30 wrote:
Well if it doesn't work as designed, and you end up breaking the screw tab off your fin, you can always use a "Re-fin", do they still make those?
".
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin is such a nice guy...all that rock and cactus and he lets his gear 'be on top'.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
kevinkan wrote:
You can also use a grinder to round off the corners of your old brass fin tabs for a DIY solution.

"They" used to make steel fin tab nuts made that way. Fast, simple, and rugged. However, I've used fin savers for decades with only one release I can remember, on a rock, and it beat a dinged fin. I've hit many a chunk of debris without release.

I spent 15' changing a US base fin last week, for some reason the damn screw was not catching any longer and took like a century to find one that worked in my box ... so I finally ordered a whole set of Chinook Fin Fast (at $5/pair).

Very clever little design! Not sure one will be able to duplicate it reliably by dremeling a tab nut. The cutout, that does not really show well in the photo, is set up so that turning clockwise it "get stuck" in the fin box and you can tighten it down. Turn counter-clockwise and the the tab releases immediately. Simple and clever: I LOVE IT! It Opens a whole new easy fin swap territory Very Happy
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, if you could please go out and test the durability and find some rocks to run into, we would all appreciate the feedback. Surprised[/quote]

I asked Jimmy he said you never found your fin last week! They should rename it the "fin box saver". I'm so bummed I missed that session, you know I always carry a extra set of fins ( for you guys) just in case!
gronquist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested I the Chinook product. I've got an amazing 8.75" fin from Aiken, still hanging on with my own stainless steel cotter pin.Smile
eghoffman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Wow - I've loved many of my boards over the years, but not like that. I know Kevin is an awesome freestyler, but I didn't know he had a 69 in his bag of tricks.

When is iWindsurf going to give us the ability to "like" comments? Classic!
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gronquist wrote:
Very interested I the Chinook product. I've got an amazing 8.75" fin from Aiken, still hanging on with my own stainless steel cotter pin.Smile

Might have talked a bit too early. It works great but it is also rather fragile. I exchanged fin between two boards and the plastic nut is already showing some deterioration: the screw is taking out some plastic material making the first few turns very loose ... maybe I did something wrong when I unscrewed/resrewed the tab but it seems a bit fragile ... not the best for multiple fin swaps? ... we'll see.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok: forget about this product. Today I came back to the beach put the board down and ... the fin tilts to the back. There is nothing there. Plastic nut and screw: gone. Not sure what happened but this is the second time in a bit more than a month that I loose one. Shocked I might be doing something wrong but am back to the regular nut and screw, the new Chinook for me seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: