myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Filling in Fin Boxes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the clear packing tape on my go to board for 17 years. If a piece falls off I'm still right there with my drag racing partner. You could test before and after with GPS.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I've been using the clear packing tape on my go to board for 17 years. If a piece falls off I'm still right there with my drag racing partner. You could test before and after with GPS.

Westender,
For Open Ocean's I've been making plugs for Brian to go with his new boards. Ask him for some and if he's out let me know and I'll cut some more.

xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas! I'll prob either go with the silicon + ice (never heard of that!) or try the grease + epoxy fill over foam. The other thing I have done in the past for temporary epoxy applications is to use less hardener in the epoxy mix. If you get it right the epoxy will harden into a kind of dense gum. It can still be sanded and can be picked off pretty easy. The problem with this is getting the mixture right.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to hardware store, buy some plywood scrap for 5 bucks, of the same thickness. Wood expands when wet.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With wood I would be concerned about swelling so much as to damage the box? I would tape over to feather the edges and keep the wood dry??

Thanks Ron. I'll stop next trip to Dougs. Same board for 17 years. Crazy huh?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Exocet X-wave thruster came with plastic inserts and a built in nut and screws. Very nice.

On my last thruster, I simply used the expanding foam you buy at HD and sanded it down when it dried. It you're really picky you could smooth the little bubbles with silicon. (and ice?) Or some kind of epoxy filler.

I probably would just leave it open if I had it to do again! It took me an hour to clean it all out when I sold the board.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used pvc to blank my slot boxes. I had some scrap pvc molding from home depot laying around. I used my blanks from my fanatic board as a template. The pvc blanks i made for my tabou came out great...and a fraction of the weight as the fanatic ones. However...when tightening down on the screw...the pvc is softer...and the screw will start to screw into the pvc...so only need a turn or two. The fanactic plugs the screws will not screw into the blanks....rather it clamp them down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: