myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Portland, need advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B53283A5-03B0-A383-C2DAF149747E941D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Moving to Portland, need advice Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm a windsurfer from Seattle. I'll be moving to Portland in a couple weeks and I'm curious to know what board volume you guys use (your GO TO board, the one that can't be missing in your quiver) in typical Gorge conditions. Here is a little bit about myself:
Weight: 170 lb
Level: Advanced
Style: B&J, wave

I'm looking at a thruster for now, but I'm open to suggestions. I ride Goya and Ezzy, so my top contender is the Goya One 85L, or the Quattro Sphere 85L. I'd consider RRD but I've seen them break and delaminate...

Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 180-190#, after decades on 65 L boards beginning before I could plane through jibes, I've bumped it up to about 72-75 liters for my typical 4.2 Gorge sailing so lulls don't work my old forearm tendons so much. However, I prefer the older, slightly narrower boards; volume numbers mean less on today's short/wide "stubbies". If I expect big swings in wind speed, I'll grab 80L ... up to 95 if I need to cross a 500m wind shadow and am using my 6.2. 85L, for me, means I expect frequent big holes and am using a 5.2-6.2 sail ... and that is still on slightly narrow pre-2008 boards with carefully chosen ride quality. Otherwise, 85L is too dang big for a run-of-the-mill 4.2 Gorge day for me. If I sailed mostly in choppy corridor crap, my big light-wind board would be about 80L. BTW, all my boards, from 55 to 135L, are wave boards for extra comfort, control and maneuverability at speed in rough water.

BTW, my favorite board is fragile, so I just I just hoard them from swap meets. They're too much fun to worry about a little thing like longevity.
sissybar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars: 55ltrs? You own a 55ltr board? Is it a cutting board? "Seattle-mover" with the software registration # name, the answer IN MY OPINION is 70-76ltr for an advanced sailor that has better things to do on days where a 4.6 won't work.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you're going to have a good time living in Portland....

I will let others advise you, but for sure the board of choice will be small and fun!

By the way, if it seems like your iWindsurf UserName is a little long, you can change it here:
https://secure.iwindsurf.com/account
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to board? Depends on how much you want to sail. The winds are NOT that consistent in strength (well other than for the month of June!). I've used a small board (70 ish liters) and a 3.2 sail. I've also used a 115l board with a 6.2 in the gorge. People have sailed with bigger. That is where I draw the line Smile

But If I had to pick one board, I wouldn't. If I had to pick two boards it would be a 80 liter (or mid 85 in a freestyle wave) and a 100 liter. Those two boards will get me sailing the most. I weigh 190 (should weigh 175 but I enjoyed winter too much Shocked )
B53283A5-03B0-A383-C2DAF149747E941D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Yeah my name is Juan, my old iW name was Juani222. I used to live in New England and was on iW around 2008, then I moved to Chicago and left iW... I still recognize some of the names from those years, it's great to see you guys keep the stoke up!! Anyway, I'll reactivate my iW now...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sissybar wrote:
Isobars: 55ltrs? You own a 55ltr board? Is it a cutting board?

Well, it sure cuts through chop, and was a blast from hard, steady 4.2 down. My forearms finally won the debate over whether to sell it. 65 L is now my cutoff. It was an experiment bought and sold for about $200, certainly not a recommendation for "B".
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents =

If you own only "one" board, I don't think you'll be sailing in The Gorge very often. I would suggest at least two, maybe three boards if you wish to sail often (3 or more days a week from April - Oct).

I weigh 180lbs and use 90 - 80 - 75 liter boards - most often the 90 liter so at 10 lbs., lighter... I would suggest you own a 80 or 85 liter and a 70 to 75 liter.

Keep in mind that The Gorge wind, while often strong, is not often consistent. Gusty, up & down conditions often prevail - lending advantage to a board that provides some float under your feet. The short and floaty boards they make these days are the best I think.

boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goya 1 is a great choice for Gorge, and Coast, but at your weight I'd go with a 78. I'm 180, and I ride the 86...
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Iso, who made your 135L wave board?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: