myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Roosevelt Park open or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Is Roosevelt Park open or not? Reply with quote

Are there bathrooms or at least porta-potties there?
Thanks.
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Media/NewsReleases/tabid/1888/Article/22932/corps-of-engineers-limits-services-at-john-day-dams-roosevelt-park.aspx

The changes include providing portable toilets rather than flush toilet facilities. Three portable toilets will be provided; the number may be adjusted if situations require it. Additionally, the free shower facilities will be closed and the potable water system turned off. Visitors will need to bring in their own drinking water. The vault toilet facility at the boat ramp will continue to be maintained for visitor use.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Thanks for the critical info. Reply with quote

P.S. What type of wrench works on the water line to the shower?
JUST KIDDING. Sort of.
evergreenhighway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipe wrench
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes no sense! How could providing and paying for portable toilets cost less than providing water for the toilets they have?

Who is running your f'd up state??? Where does the money I pay for my WA state park pass go?

I have the wrench in my van, Biff!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, a crowbar OR hammer and chisel would also be required to get the doors open to the shower. Unless there is a spigot on the main line for a garden hose chill-out shower.

It costs a little money to keep toilets clean. Apparently more money than renting/servicing porta-potties. But I agree, it just doesn't make much sense, especially considering the cost CANNOT be that high with a volunteer present to at least clean the restrooms. Write your state congress, along with many signatures. I live in OR.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion - since our "f'd up state" aggravates you so much, stay out of WA and go to Arlington.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roosevelt Park is an Army Corp facility. National. Thank our do nothing congress for the austerity of Port-O-Pots and no water, due to The Sequester budget, where they cut much of the funding for stuff like what the common people use, but kept the $pigot open for the so-called Job Creators....We can't have GE or Morgan Stanley paying any taxes now, can we?

Don't go busting into the restroom building, that will just cause them to chain and fence it all off, line the roads with No Parking signs and to hire some River Cops like they have done many other places, with our Forest Pass money...

Roosevelt is still one of the few launches on the river where you don't have to pay to get in the water...Who give a crap whether there are public ?showers? The people who camp in motor homes and the orchard workers who used to clean up there? Harden up and wait till you get home to shower..or bring a sun shower.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Scott. I just get pissed at the illogical decisions of our Government. I do mostly launch from Arlington, but it is not friendly for my wife and its nice to camp at Roosevelt once you're all the way out east and have a few post session brews. I would gladly pay for a hot shower.

I called and spoke to the Corps of Engineers. Then received a call back from one of the higher ups regarding their budget cuts. They are saving $10K a year by shutting down the water and replacing the bathrooms with potables. They have to test the potable water monthly on top of all other costs.

I was told they are running on a shoestring budget and have numerous positions they cannot afford to replace.

I was also told they are considering turning the park over to the State of Washington. Maybe this will occur sooner than later and the water will be restored.
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10k a year for water? Interesting, especially considering it's located right next to the river.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Good friend of mine works for the Corps of Engineers and during the gov't shut down he was encouraged to work overtime to use all the excessive money they had, otherwise they wouldn't get that money next year. It's a crazy system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: