myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
School me on wave sails, looking for a 5.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ezzy masts. I have sailed ezzy se2008, ezzy panther 3(2012), goya w3d (2009), north hero 2013 and simmer halo and icons on the masts. With other masts i have sailed gaastras and np atlas.

of those sails i like the simmer sails the best because i find them lightest in the hands and are really easy to depower while wavesailing. I also like the other sails but probably the ezzy se and north hero the least, the panther i really like but like i say i just havenīt sailed a sail that comes close to the simmer ones in terms of performance for my sailing style. But with a question like yours you are probably going to get million different answers depending on what people are sailing and personal preferance. Lots of good sails out there just a matter of finding what suits you the best.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One light 16 y/o guy sails 4.7 on his Ezzy. 5.2 would work, it'd be nice if boom length was on the shorter side. How do they sail funny?

Today we had 16-17 to 22 knots. I only went out with my 4.7, it worked well but I had to turn around twice after some pretty ugly looking series. I'm not sure 5.0 would have suckered me in but it would have helped build up speed.

The breeze here isn't always steady but its range is. Once it starts blowing and is established it'll not deviate from it unless there's a storm going by or odd clouds.

I saw a rigged 5.0 Goya Eclipse (power wave). The battens were pretty much in front of the mast. On my Alpha that's where it kills the sail "breathing" ability.

My sailing style is front side surfing as soon as I notice the slight rolling swell action, jumps (don't care for massive air, want to learn fronts, backs and pushes in the next decade maybe!), laydown jibes in the waves, carving.

So would you recommend I look for a smaller power wave, pure wave, number of battens? I can try a North Ice or a Volt, maybe I can try the Eclipse too.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy a sail I strongly suggest you try the new Ezzy Taka. Obviously everyone has their opinion, but even compared to the Elites, it's a drastic improvement. Try one and make your own opinion.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked gusty today so I thought I could handle the 5.4, pain in the 4ss... I tried more downhaul, little to no difference because the problem is down low in the pocket. I can't seem to be able to detune that pocket. The result is a slow reactive sail, it feels like the boom is long and the back hand heavy. Wind was 18 to 26 knots so it somewhat makes sense but still. Took the 4.7 out and it dropped to 17 to 22 so it was borderline again.

The odd thing is that I swear I didn't use to complain a few months ago where I'd just deal with the 5.4 in the stronger winds and it was fine. Maybe now I'm pickier? I can feel the front hand being tugged when it's filling and then releasing heavily as the gust goes away. It's almost like the mast isn't slicing the wind. On my 4.7 I can correct and guide the mast along unlike having the mast punched at me.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the same booms w/o repositioning the harness lines for a different size sail?
It sounds like you've got the harness lines in the correct spot for the 4.7, which makes them a bit too far forward for the 5.4, giving you that back hand heavy feel.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One boom per sail, I adjust the lines when underpowered (a bit forward) or overpowered (a bit back) but only by about 1/4".
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that outhaul has more influence on the pocket than downhaul on my sails.

And more tension on outhaul will bring the sail COE back. This mean you might have to bring your lines back a bit to compensate. On large sails, it's the case for sure.

Anyway, you can always move your harness lines towards the pain, so you should have moved them back on your 5.4.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found these bits online. I am in full agreement with what's stated below.

"The fullness and weight of pull is less of an advantage
for manoeuvring and waveriding"

"The relatively soft and twisted leech is wobbly clew-first when riding in onshore conditions"

"The 4.7 especially seemed a great deal more powerful than a lot of others on the test; almost too powerful for me at times"

"I was less keen on it in stronger winds and waves, but liked it a lot in lighter winds.”

It's not to say a power wave is bad but in my situation right around 18-19 knots 5.4 may be just be too big? In the winter when it's more like 16-17 knots it's not an issue and quite often I've been glad to have enough back hand to get me out of there.

When I tighten the sail it gets stiffer but just as heavy possibly even heavier as it loses its "flex."

I rotate my mast inside as it stays rigged and noticed that things got funny from there. I'm thinking it's just a coincidence...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you should borrow another mast with either the NP or powerx bend. keep in mind it might only add a few knots to the alpha's sweet spot. i must have tried it with 4-5 masts, ironically, the 5.4. likes to be sailed a bit under powered only. dunno why they made that sail. maybe for slogging and then wave sailing in easy side off places with reefs or point breaks?

like i said before, most prydes sail really well.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the benefit of using a small sail for waves. The big pocket can save a mast when pumping yourself out of the way of a big one after a jump for example. The smaller size makes it more maneuverable and easier to water start. So for me a power wave 5.4 is better than a 5.7 wave sail. The expense is a physical top end.

How much "power" do I really need? If I have lots of momentum going through the waves, it's a non issue. If it looks weak with many close-outs, why chance it?

I would like to hear experiences from folks riding side-on mostly lightweights!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: