myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need help understanding my sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encouragement and kind words are some of the best help you can give a person.

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:

In my experience many windsurfers lack empathy.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bse wrote:
'get off my lawn' isobar's advice will be taken to heart.

thanks for the simple and straightforward answers without putting me down for trying to learn as much as I can, through whatever sources I can!

"Get off my lawn"? "Putting you down"? What on earth are you talking about? More so than anyone else here I'm ENCOURAGING you to learn all you can through every resource at your disposal.

I implore you and many others to read and evaluate what *I* write, and pay much less attention to what others SAY I wrote, especially to their accusations of what I meant.

Why do I even try?

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
In my experience many windsurfers lack empathy. They think everyone has the time/money/lifestyle to support a tricked out cargo van and can sail 100+ days a year. Some of the advice you will get here is based on the assumption that you have unlimited time and resources for this sport. You and I do not.

I think you can do fine with a 2 sail quiver if you add a 7.5 Cheetah to your 9.5.

I'm no expert/master/super sailor. I'm someone who was right where you are not too long ago.

Which is exactly why I respond so often to requests for help. My learning curve was painfully slow despite a lot of sailing time, and I've tried very hard for decades now to help others shorten theirs. If I worried more about the negative grief from people like bigwave (18 personal insults in 13 posts = 138% negativity rating) than about helping them, I'd have quit long ago.

You guys are presuming way too much ... again. The $5k was a measure of the importance of lessons, not a suggestion. Another measure: During the time span that I tried Corpus, the Gorge, and Maui in a desperate attempt to get over several humps including jibing, I had to take out a loan to pay my income taxes one year and cut back on food and clothing (e.g., buy even less from Walmart) for a decade. Unlimited money, my ass. That van was the result of two years of personal blood, sweat, tears, and hard work, not some custom van shop. It saved me tens of thousands of dollars that many people of ordinary means spend on air fares, lodging, restaurants, campgrounds, rental cars, rental gear, vehicle turnover (kept it 15 years), etc.

Other posters have emphasized the importance of lessons in other ways; go bust their chops for a change, as this is getting old … especially since bigwave’s first specific suggestion was the same as mine: more downhaul. The difference was that he went on to tell the OP to ignore other advice, to just keep floundering in a vacuum. I disagree vehemently with that advice. One can both have fun AND learn more rapidly if he takes advantage of today’s wealth and availability of knowledge.

It’s precisely limited time (along with avoiding bad habits) that makes lessons so critical.

Kind words may be nice to hear, but they don't answer technical questions. “Tweak your downhaul, ignore the advice of others who have walked in your shoes, and figure it out for yourself” sounds an awful lot like, “Suck it up, stop whining, and so what if it takes you forever to figure this stuff out”.

Speaking of which … James’ Blog recommends a 5.3, not a 7.5, in the 25 mph average winds BSE inquired about.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISO, really???? Read some of your ramblings just from this thread. "I consider telling someone that he'll be just fine without taking important steps is almost as bad in this forum as it is in cancer forums." WTF???? Personal attacks??? Really, I'm picking on you!?!? I think most everyone on this forum also wonder ~why do you even try~? I am going to choose to try & ignore your insane ramblings from here on, even though I know it will be quite the challenge! Back to BSE-I agree with Brian & KonaJoe rig to specs & do a little tweeking from there & you should be fine.
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is awesome Laughing
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to just let your eyes slide past Iso posts. Then he won't exist.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bse, I was asking an earnest question, not a rhetorical one, when I wrote:
"Get off my lawn"? "Putting you down"? What on earth are you talking about?

You asked for advice and I gave it my best shot based on having been exactly where you are now and having seen how long and frustrating the path of self-experimentation can be in windsurfing. That path was my only option 35 years ago, and it led to the longest, most frustrating challenge I’ve faced in my entire life*. My eight years in engineering school, 20 years in the military, and 44 years in one marriage seem simpler. I tried to both help and motivate you to speed up your learning curve to avoid some of that frustration.

* Given the dismal lesson environment of the 1980s, it took me 14 years of intensive WSing to start making half my jibes, and now I’m almost back to ground zero again due to multiple injuries. People who say I lack empathy just because I tell it like I see it have no clue what they’re talking about. My name is Mike, not Pollyanna.

This isn’t kiting. WSing doesn’t maim or kill novice experimenters, but it’s MUCH tougher to learn and apparently takes decades more time to become boring.

I tried to help you; now it’s your turn to help me: please tell me what I said that gave you the false impression I was putting you down. Then please tell me what your “get off my lawn” refers to.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, why not give it a break? Sometimes you got to know when to stop talking.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people want to solve problems, others prefer not only to dodge them but to obstruct others' attempts to solve them. I'm in the former camp. How you want to approach this one, bse, is up to you, not the nanny crowd. However, dodging it puts you squarely in their decades-long camp of leveling accusations they can't back up.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, um, did that rigging video from Chinook help any? Was there anything that you were doing different from what it was telling you to do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: