myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need help understanding my sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigwave65 wrote:
bse- ignore the blabber of superior ones that know it all

Now THAT'S sound advice. Don't take lessons. Don't ask questions. Don't watch every video and read every tutorial you can find. Don't consider advice from "lifers", WSing instructors, people who have rigged and sailed hundreds of sails in addition to the hundreds they've owned, people who have generated widely acclaimed rigging websites, etc. Don't waste time and money by traveling if necessary to learn faster. Take instead the advice of someone who tries to belittle others and their collective advice and advises instead take just his exclusive advice to "experiment" ... like most of us were left to do 30+ years ago when the learning curves were mired in setting concrete.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, so sorry I don't agree. Just because you think you know all doesn't mean you do. You chime in on every and I mean every topic. Either you are the most knowledgeable windsurfer ever or just full of it(or yourself). BSE draw your own conclusion and experiment around, nothing wrong with experimenting around and most importantly---having fun. The recommendation of spending $5000.00 to learn is assine! Try to be positive to the noobs ISO it's a whole new world on the water now,get out of the 90's and join us. You probably are all PO'd at kiters too.......
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISO you have a widely acclaimed site!?!?!? Damn dignity, I can't wait to see it!!!! If so share it because I am only addressing you, don't try to bring innocent bystanders into your crusade....and yeah, if you're an expert, then yes, I'm an expert. So expert to expert, lighten up, this stuff isn't rocket science. Go riding, push yourself & have fun-isn't that the reason we all started???
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigwave65 wrote:
You chime in on every and I mean every topic.

1. Even if that were true (I have posted statistics on that at least twice. I post on maybe 25% of threads, IIRC.)

2. So what if did? Nobody makes you read or heed it.

3. What IS it with people who, especially considering #2, resent and feel so compelled to control others' behavior? Is tolerance not even a part of your life?

Bigwave65 wrote:
Either you are the most knowledgeable windsurfer ever or just full of it(or yourself).

So what makes you and only you right AND everyone else wrong?
Experiment? Of course. But to the exclusion of lessons and other sources of help readily available in this wired century?

Just who is living in the 1980s?

Bigwave65 wrote:
BSE draw your own conclusion ... The recommendation of spending $5000.00 to learn is assine!

Which is it ... draw his own conclusion (we don't know his financial circumstances) or kowtow to yours? Do you not see the irony and hypocrisy here? After almost a decade of missing jibes, I considered $5k pretty cheap to dramatically advance that and many other skills by many years.

Bigwave65 wrote:
Try to be positive to the noobs ISO

I consider telling someone that he'll be just fine without taking important steps is almost as bad in this forum as it is in cancer forums. That pisses me off more than being accused of being PO'd at kiters.

Go find someone else to control. Yer barkin' up the wrong tree here, at the potential expense of a third party.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine an iwindsurf forum without isobars.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my I'm sorry, I didn't mean to question the incredible knowledge of the great Oz! Lets keep it on topic & remember sometimes less is more.....isn't there another thread that you missed & need to jump into? Anymore for BSE or have you moved on to me, because I think you more than covered what your viewpoint was on the original topic.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 6.0 and 7.5 Ezzy Freerides and they don't feel like plywood at all. Obviously, the smaller is more reactive than the larger. And I have an extra 6.0 for sale if you're in Canada.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be remembered that not all sails are created equal. As I recollect, the Chinook sail is a lower scale price point product meant to support entry level sailors rather than a more experienced group. For higher performance, it makes sense to concentrate on designer/builders represented by the leading brands.

I'm sure that the Ezzy brand has a stable of worthy models similar to your 9.5. Creating a viable quiver across a workable range is key, and picking a leading brand for your requirements makes sense. That way, rigging and performance issues are linked in an important way. It's a credible path that was envisioned and designed by the sail designer.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert windsurfer by any means. I sail 20-30 days a year and make 80% of my jibes. I also have a lot of fun.

In my experience many windsurfers lack empathy. They think everyone has the time/money/lifestyle to support a tricked out cargo van and can sail 100+ days a year. Some of the advice you will get here is based on the assumption that you have unlimited time and resources for this sport. You and I do not.

I think you can do fine with a 2 sail quiver if you add a 7.5 Cheetah to your 9.5.

I'm no expert/master/super sailor. I'm someone who was right where you are not too long ago.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know almost nothing about windsurfing. So I would look at this: http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/media/riggingSail.html

Why someone with no specific knowledge of a sail, suggest to rig differently from what the manufacturer recommends?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: