myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
June 3, 2014 biggest day of the century in The Corridor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evergreenhighway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: June 3, 2014 biggest day of the century in The Corridor? Reply with quote

I've only been sailing here since late 80s so I haven't seen it all, but I think the swells were bigger in the corridor and more then anything ever? At least this century. I know I missed a couple of big summer days the last few years but summer backfill doesn't make swells like what we saw today. And so many, oh so many ginormous monsters! What do you think?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: monsters Reply with quote

For me, biggest swell rides ever. Very Happy
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a big day, indeed, maybe the best ever in the corridor?. However, The Wall a few years ago produced bigger jumbo swell in early May, it was the day when a fellow windsurfer died at 3 Mile.
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure those were the biggest swells I have ever ridden at the Hatchery in my 20 years of Gorge sailing. The bigger sets were easily double overhead or mast high (assuming you had a 340 mast for your 3.2 sail).
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were similar conditions early in the morning the day of the Chinook Challenge, 1990. It didn't last nearly as long though.

Yesterday may have been the biggest. Certainly the biggest in recent memory. And super fun.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bring a yard stick but several days in late spring if 1990 seemed that huge at Doug's. I don't recall seeing it that big at the Hatch, but I spent more time on the water than on land, so impressions vary.
evergreenhighway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job remembering the Chinook Gorge Challenge! That was so similar with all the chaos and huge swells. 24 years ago? I thought of that too after I posted this. It was cooler lighting then with the low early morning sun shining through all the spray. But I am so much better now than then. I got a million more rides yesterday on much bigger waves when back then all I could do was sail in it. Just amazing swells. They were moving so fast and so huge I never bottomed out!
Bond1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I know you, evergreenhighway? Do you live on the evergreen highway? D?

Anyway, I'll never forget that morning. I rigged in the dark and sailed Swell City by myself for over an hour before anyone showed up. It was full on insanity. I remember laughing out loud as I sailed, thinking it was the craziest thing I had ever done. It's the big day that set the mark that hasn't been beat since. Until maybe yesterday.

By the time the challenge started at 8:30 on that morning in 1990 the conditions were nothing like they were at daybreak. I rested and watched, knowing I'd experienced something very special.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilton08, Definitely mast high. We can ask Sean Aiken what size sail he was on, below is a perfect yardstick. At least 11 feet, maybe 12+ feet. (Scraped below from windfind's pics, http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28337)

6-4-2014 8-30-42 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.17 KB
 Viewed:  16930 Time(s)

6-4-2014 8-30-42 PM.png

evergreenhighway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do live on the evergreenhighway and you do know me. I got to Chinook at 7:30 or something so it was early morning. That pic is awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: