myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new mast - looks terrible. Is it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: new mast - looks terrible. Is it? Reply with quote

New 80% carbon mast fresh out of the plastic - very wavy carbon on the surface in some spots, few areas of resin which have leaked out of the weave and are mild irregularities on the surface. I weighed it about 50 times with a very accurate scale and it weighs from 5.0 to 5.6 lbs (average about 5.3 lbs) - reported weight for this mast is 4.63lbs.

My other masts are Fiberspar and Powerex 55% and 30% carbon - the weave and finish on these masts look perfect so I was expecting a higher end mast to appear well-engineered but this new mast doesn't. I can't think of a reason for the carbon (unidirectional on the surface) to look wavy.

Am I being overly critical? I'm thinking of sending it back to the retailer and looking elsewhere.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of mast is it? 80% carbon seems a bit unusual, but maybe specs are changing. I would tend to trust a name brand mast, because you normally get a credible warranty. RDM or SDM?
rangerider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the brand in the original post but edited it out as I don't want to malign a manufacturer unjustly. It is a brand name mast maker in the industry for a long time from a reputable retailer.

As an aside I weighed my old masts by the same technique and they are all right at the specified weight printed on the mast, unlike this new one. It is going back
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should contact the company and get more information. Make sure they sent you the correct product, and if you really want to send it back, make sure they pay for the shipping. Many companies have very specific return policies and require you to follow their directions in order to process the return w/o problems.
You can name the manufacturer; this is the internet, afterall.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should not look like that.

HAVE you attempted, course its obvious thing to do, sent photos to the point of purchase , and explained your position ?

the make is not so important as the dealer/internet store/ actual store in how they handle a customer service issue.

call and send photos to document your issue/case.

Include a link to this thread .

IT aint right and they should correct if I see it the way you described.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves in the carbon = discontinuities in the load handling fibers. That means the mast will not be able to support as much load is it was designed to take. Of course you can only see the fibers at the surface, but you have to assume that the same thing is happening throughout the entire laminate. The fibers were not laid up properly on the mandrel during the molding process.

Resin pooling means that the excess resin was not drawn out of the prepreg properly during the curing process and is likely the reason you mast does not meet the weight spec.

All in all, you have a defective mast. If someone tells you this mast is OK, they are full of crap. If your dealer is good, they will replace it immediately and handle the warranty claim with the manufacturer. If your dealer isn't good, they'll likely make you go through the warranty process yourself which can be a major PITA. Take lots of pictures for your records.

sm
rangerider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the retailer. He said that they would take it back or credit me 10% if I wish to keep it. In the end I'm going to send it back - maybe a different high end mast will look the same but I will learn from the experience. It just seems to me that I would take more care to wrap the carbon if I were doing it. He said they all weigh over spec and that he was going to talk to the manufacturer about it.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you continue doing business with this dealer. It sounds like they're doing the right thing.

It is hard to stay in business, and the margins are tight.
rangerider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point I will need another board, wish it was today. I have bought tons of gear from them and they have been great. I feel bad sending the mast back but I just don't feel good about stated weight being that far off and the carbon wrap looking sloppily done. They will get more of my business and in fact the mast was only half my order.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: new mast - looks terrible. Is it? Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
New 80% carbon mast fresh out of the plastic .

I'm somewhat puzzled about new 90% carbon mast too. Despite the whole thing is shiny, it is apparently shedding some fiber. My palms are getting itchy after handling this mast. Didn't experience anything like this with other masts I had and have. Shocked

Another thing is quite visible mismatch between bottom and top sections where they join. Confused

Andrei.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: