myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Memorial weekend at Coyote Reply with quote

Good three days at Coyote this Memorial Day weekend. Fair number of windsurfers present..from newbies to grizzled veterans and all the in inbetweeners enjoying good wind. Happy to see some windsurfing parents teaching their children our sport. Wind was 5.0 to 5.5 on the inside and 4.0 to 4.7 out towards the channel. Nice smooth rollers out towards the channel. Today (Monday) I was on a 4.2/80L. Should be good wind on the Bay for most of this week. Will do Third on Tuesday. Methinks the season is in full gear Cool
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another beautiful day at Lahontan 4.7 to 5.5. Sunny, warm, nice clean water. 4 smiling faces. Should be more over next couple of days. Work might get a little in the way though.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Memorial weekend at Coyote Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Good three days at Coyote this Memorial Day weekend. Fair number of windsurfers present..from newbies to grizzled veterans and all the in inbetweeners enjoying good wind. Happy to see some windsurfing parents teaching their children our sport. ...

Yes! Great days. Monday especially the conditions at the outside markers were almost hypnotic. Big smooth swell, golden reflections, strong wind and the sensation of vastness: I almost got in a trance. Wind was strong, 4.3 powered to overpowered, RRD 85 very comfortable but a bit too bulky to be very playful in the swell. Noticed the crowd of windsurfers especially Saturday.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, windsurfing will never die! (although it does have a pretty good case of the dwindles). Nice description above of the zen of windsurfing, the trance-like state on the smoother days, intermixed with some survival sailing thrown in occasionally to remind us of the power of wind.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Sun-Mon May 26-27 Reply with quote

Sunday: 4.5. Only two other sailors out (4.5, 4.7) in the afternoon/evening when I was there (I understand that others had sailed earlier before the tide dropped). Difficult conditions for me: fast and breaking chop not very suitable for my large board, especially trying to waterstart, very gusty.

Monday AM: 5.3, others on 4.7-6.3. Gusty and with a strangely broad band of low wind, but the chop was not as bad as Sunday. The low wind band was frustrating: planing nicely on port tack coming back, then I would come off the plane and slog with gust challenges. Sometimes I would get back onto a plane, sometimes not. Session ended by low tide.

I had brought a second wetsuit in case I decided to go out again on the evening tide, but ended up too beat up and cold from the morning session to do that.

A number of other sailors were out Monday AM: good to see.
kirk

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Coyote Pt Reply with quote

Agree with Bert. I sailed Coyote 4 of the last 6 days starting with 6.6 when we started to get enough wind after the heat spell left and finished yesterday on my 4.8, all with middle Real Wind board that just floats me. I also got an hour or so on the sinker and 5.6 on Friday.... Every time I put on the sinker it usually shifts to W/SW and I get worried I won't get in... so I came in when I started slogging and got the bigger, Real Wind board and it was fun again.

I passed Bert heading in while I was still way out on my new 4.8 Hucker yesterday. I'm still learning to tune it but I had a great time. It was OP'ed with my board way past the 2nd buoy where the 4.2 crowd was having fun.

Nice thing about the season being on is I can take a day of rest and not feel like I'm missing the one good day of the week. Very Happy

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Crissy May 27 Reply with quote

So so day at Crissy (is there ever a great day at Crissy? Shocked ). Rigged 4.3 that was good for about 30'. Then the wind decreased, then there was a big hole in the middle, then the wind came back, then it went away again, then it was back but still with the hole in the middle ... sort of ... you know ... up and down Shocked Nice swell outside, but the length of the runs were shorter than the Stick.

Side comment: are the Kites gone? Today it must have been 20-30 windsurf and 2-5 kites (one or two drifting happily in the holes). It seems that only the racing/hydrofoils are left at Crissy.

Another side comment: why there are so many so serious (unfriendly?) sailors at Crissy? Is it the barometric pressure? Crying or Very sad
bert

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Third Reply with quote

Sailed Tuesday 4.7/95L at Third. Could only do a half hr. as my left hand was hurt and swollen. Went to the doc today and it appears that my hand has been fractured for 2 weeks (fell off a 16 ft ladder). Need to have a custom splint made and was strongly advised not to windsurf until the hand heals..may be a month or so. WTF!!! At least I got in 6 sailings after the injury..though I must admit that it hasn't been easy sailing with one hand Sad
rpaillon

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: North Tower Last Saturday Reply with quote

Last Saturday at 3:00 or so it looked like the North Tower was the only real action, (although it seemed to fill in at Crissy later on). Vincent, 3.7, myself 4.0 and another guy 4.7 were the only ones that launched from Yellow Bluff.

The reason I am posting this is to tell about my encounter with a rock about 50 feet offshore and 50 to 80 feet west of the point. I got slammed on a full plane on my 4.0. Luckily only the tip of my 8-1/2" fin dragged over it so I didn't damage the box. Thank God I was planing. I've been launching there for at least 15 years and never knew about this rock.

Coming in wasn't much fun either. Between the flood (of course everybody knows that it starts flooding at the North Tower about two hours before the tide table prediction) and wind shadow I couldn't make the harbor entrance so I had to carry my stuff up the rip-rap. To round out the session the wind blew my board off its temporary perch on the rocks but only put one small ding in it.

Other than that it was an epic session with big swell and no holes. By the time I left there were people making it across from Crissy.
victor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's actually pretty shallow in the cove. one regular there used a one piece mast (formerly a two pieces, now stuck). if the wind died inside he said he could derig and use it to pole himself in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 45 of 329

Jump to: