myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Might buy a used Ezzy Infiinity w/ Cams, need advice!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Might buy a used Ezzy Infiinity w/ Cams, need advice! Reply with quote

I'm going to talk to a local guy about buying his used 2006 Ezzy Infinity this afternoon. The size, condition and price are right.

I'm still a beginner, working on gybes and harness. I've never used a sail with cams before.

How difficult to rig is this sail? I started looking up the rigging guide and noticed that the cams have to be setup/fitted to my mast. If the previous owner had a different mast, will I be able to adjust for my mast?

Finally, is there anything I should pay close attention to to inspect the sail before I commit to buy?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a luv for ezzy. i really like the cheetah or freeride

i dislike cams.

the sail comes with a measure to measure your mast, you then select the appropriate cam set to install, it will have shims that come into play. this from memory on the 7.5 infinity i had. also had, HAD a 8.5 lion w/cams.

for a recreational sailor imo dont purchase a sail with cams.

someone else will be happy as a pig in crap,

more technical to rig, if not correct it doesn't like to rotate, no sugar, just the opinion i have. YMMV

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that doesn't sound like fun.

The price is really good IMO ($90), might still be worth trying it out, but I really don't want to deal with a bunch of shims, etc if that is the case. Also wondering if the ruler/measure is still with the sail and if not, will I be able to rig it.

Mad
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thurston I'm also love my ezzy sail's i only use cam's in my 10.5 infinity.
I had some ezzy infinity that u could use with or with out the cam's, i used the 6.6 and a 8.5 for a long time with the cam's taken out they worked real good.
I do think the 2006's u can use both way's
coachg

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like you are at the stage for using cams. After you are in the straps, using a harness, gybing & tacking you can consider cams on a sail.

However, if you pursue it a couple of things to consider. Depending on the owner it may or may not still have the shims. Take you mast with you & rig the sail before you decide.

Coachg
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again i just checked the ezzy web site and u can rig the 2006 infinity with out cam,s, with 2 or with 1 all the info is on there web site. I hope this help's.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of board are you riding? Where do you sail?

I really like Infinitys. But you have to make sure that the kit with all of the various cams and spacers is included.
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F--- it, I bought it Laughing

I ride an F2 Phoenix 320 (188L). I sail in the ocean, typically find a flat to choppy place to go but eventually would love to get into some waves. I have a 5.8 and was looking for something a little bigger.

Anyway, the sail was in great shape, and had all the extra cam sleeves, the ruler, 3 extra cams. Not sure about shims, I'll have to look up what they are supposed to look like and see if I find them in the sailbag pocket.

He was also rigging it on a 460 that *looked* like it was about the same diameter as mine, it would be great if it's already set up for my regular diameter mast. He also had an extra F2 Xantos 295 (133L), a bit dinged up that he threw in for free.

Hopefully the sail won't be too much of a pain to rig/use. Best case, I get a sail for a good price and a board for free. Worst case, I just bought gear that won't be used until I get a little better Very Happy .
dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use that sail no cam, one cam, two, or 3.
It's easy to pop the cambers on after inserting mast and some outhaul tension, then downhaul.
windydoug

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad for you that you bought this sail. I am still ripping on a 2005 Infinity. I believe since the Infinity reappeared (after David left North) in the Ezzy line up it has been riggable with and without cams. With cams you are riding an infinity, take em out and it is a Freeride.

David couldn't have made this any easier for anybody that is able to read. With cams and shims installed as per the directions (not hard to follow) the sail should rotate just fine…..As long as you are not rigging it on an old aluminum mast or some other antique. If you have a constant curve mast you should be in good shape. Some older cammed sails did not rotate well if they were not on a specific mast, I had a NS Warp 3 I could never get dialed in, and man did I work on those cams. It had 4 race cams and a large luff sleeve, by comparison the Ezzy has 2 cams and a fairly narrow luff sleeve.

These cams are not scary. The light air benefit (over RAF sail), and rig stability are nice plusses to using it.
If you are missing any of the necessary shims etc, just use the contact on the Ezzy.com website and they will take care of you. Heck, odds are you may reach David Ezzy himself.
Best of luck!
Doug
rochesterwindsports.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: