myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any feedback on a trip to IRELAND in Sept./Oct.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sav1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Any feedback on a trip to IRELAND in Sept./Oct.? Reply with quote

I'd like to take a trip in September/October for some advanced wavesailing and seeing the sites. Can anyone provide feedback on the wavesailing in Ireland at that time? Jem Hall has a clinic so at that time in Brandon Bay so it should be good (but cold).

I have a week to travel with the significant other in tow for a week.

I'm considering N. France and Sylt as well.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the time of year it gets the best on the Irish coast. And Jem Hall's reputation is 2nd to none, always seems to have the right times and places figured out. So if you do that you stand a good chance of having a good time.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wavesailing can get pretty good in Ireland, but there is just so much more interesting stuff to see and do that I personally wouldn't try and combine a two week Euro sightseeing tour with a windsurfing trip. But that's just me. When I'm in places like Europe the last thing I'm thinking of doing is windsurfing. It could however be very interesting seeing Europe from a windsurfer's perspective - you will certainly meet some local characters that you probably wouldn't meet as a 'tourist'. But given your time frame it just seems a bit ambitious to me. Are you bringing gear? Are you doing the Jem Hall clinic? I would only do this trip if you are actually doing the clinic and you rent gear from Jem. Then leave the second week for time with your sig other.
underwood

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in June and it was great. I rented gear from Jamie Knox. A memorable experience to be sure. I would highly recommend staying in Dingle. A great town with plenty to do and low priced decent accommodations. The Kirrary House Bed & Breakfast is a GREAT and reasonably priced place to stay, particularly if you want to see and meet the places and people of Ireland. The house is modest and comfortable but the proprietors are what make it great. Eileen & Tom Collins are gracious hosts that not only make you feel welcome but a part of the family. My wife had plenty to do while I made the short drive to Brandon Bay. If you want to stay closer to Brandon Bay stay at Castlehouse. There is another hotel at the end of the road but stay as far away from there as you possibly can. The problem with staying in Brandon Bay is that there is nothing for your significant other if she doesn't windsurf (read - remote).
The sailing was awesome. There are several places to sail depending on the wind direction and in June I thought the water would be cold but it really wasn't. I wore a 4mm, no boots, gloves, or hood and was comfortable. I only got cold when changing out of my wetsuit. Everyone we met (except the owner of the hotel at the end of the road) was super friendly and seemed genuinely pleased you came to visit their home. The guys at Jamie Knox Watersports are top notch and they have good equipment to rent and are very accommodating. I definitely want to go back!
katiedog

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail sizes,swell size ?
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to post on one of the UK based forums like boards to get the best info. From the vids I have seen it is mostly port tack - that's all I got. If you make the trip def give us a report.
sav1

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I posted on a Euro forum at the same time. The feedback is that it is hardcore sailing with rocks, rips, and blustery conditions...best time of the year. There is a rental place near Brandon Bay which is one of the best spots. My interest has shifted to the Azores or Portugal. .
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're by Dublin, there's good flat water sailing at Malahide. You can rent right there by the launch, even wetsuits! I had a blast there one full afternoon, and all the Irish guys were super cool and great sailors.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the bloke who shaped of my MOO CUSTOM

the shop is close to IRELAND, JON will know, tell him the guy from COLORADO SENT you

jon@moocustom.co.uk

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
underwood

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katiedog wrote:
Sail sizes,swell size ?

Overpowered on a 4.2 and I stayed inside. Way to gnarly on the outside for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: