myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to be gained with a new sail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: What to be gained with a new sail? Reply with quote

The last 2 years I have been sailing the Ultrasonic with my Ezzy Lion 9.5 in lightwind gusty lake conditions and I am still sometimes on and off the plane depending on conditions. I pump and my lightwind planing technique is decent so let's set that aside for the moment. Let's also assume I have my sail rigged properly (I have an AO). I have a 56cm Select S1 race fin.

I am tempted to get an 11.0 or 11.5 full race sail / carbon boom etc to try to lower my planing threshold some and to go faster and stay on plane a little longer through lulls. Do you think I would really notice the difference over my 9.5 Ezzy? Would you do it? Should I just enjoy what I have?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your weight will play a large factor in how much you gain going from a 9.5 to 11.5 sail. Would I do it? Not at my 170 lbs. If I weighed 200+ lbs it would depend on where & how I am sailing. Smaller, closed area where I am doing lots of BAF with not a lot of upwind needed than no, I would not invest in the larger sail. Large open area with super long reaches & upwind exploring ability than yes I would strongly consider it.

Coachg
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small lake, I weigh 175lbs. Thanks coach. I do sometimes drive to bigger lakes though so something to consider. That is helpful to understand when it might make a difference.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider the flip side: waterstarting.

At some point it's time to bite the bullet and buy a jetski or move to a windier area. I've done both. Smile

Mike \m/
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wakeboard boat for when it's calm. I don't water start the 9.5 anyway so the difference there doesn't matter much.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
I have a wakeboard boat for when it's calm.

There ya go! Most WSers/kiters at least pretend they're too green to appreciate the advantages of motors ... until they need one to haul their kit to the fun.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gains you would get from a bigger sail vs. the weight gain and cost would very little. At some point there is just not enough wind. I'm lucky enough to live where my big sail is a 6.5 Even that seems big to me. Some people get great pleasure with a wind SUP or a Kona doing light wind freestyle. That will also greatly increase you high wind skills and your time on the water. A 5.8 on a Kona and you dancing...
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, going out now with a 6.4 and the windSup. Still interested to hear if anyone thinks a bigger sail would be worth it. I guess I'm wondering if a fixed foil with the extra cambers and wide luff tube is a significant gain in efficiency - so far it sounds like it isn't.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to consider a bigger sail than you've got, it's important to remember that a bigger sail will require a bigger fin, particularly in the lightest of winds. The two go hand in hand. Without the added lift generated by a bigger fin, a bigger sail will feel doggie and lifeless, especially when considering upwind performance.

Last edited by swchandler on Sun May 25, 2014 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the possible combinations of longer booms, masts, different masts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: