myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing boots for Sailboat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Windsurfing boots for Sailboat Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a question regarding booties that I'm hoping someone can answer here.

I need to but some boots for sailing this spring. In the summer time I have shoes I can wear, but this time of year the water is still in the lower 50s. I have a long distance (~25 mile) race this weekend and need to buy a pair of boats to keep the water off my feet and ankles. So I'm thinking about getting something that will work for windsurfing also.

I'm sailing on a trimaran (plan on getting soaked) and the weather looks like rain and 20kts this weekend, so I want to have something that will keep me warm without dragging me under if I fall overboard. I'll be checking out some boots in a local surf shop today or tomorrow. Backup plan is to buy boots designed for dingy sailing, but I'd rather buy something more appropriate for windsurfing but usable for sailing since I'd use them more for that. I think something like the O'Neill Psycho 4/3mm Split Toe Boot will be perfect for both.

I own a pair of the warm water O'Neill tropical superfreaks and really like them for grip in the summer.

One of my concerns is the black soles on most/all windsurfing booties. Will the soles mark up the deck of a white boat? I'm hoping that they probably won't since their designed to be used on board decks, which are very similar. Anybody have an experience?
hitech

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wearing the non-split toe version for many years and do not recall ever leaving a black mark on any surface. That said, I would be a bit concerned about the amount of grip they will have on the non-textured portions of the gelcoat. That can get pretty slick.
You might see how they grip by testing on wetted bottom of one of your boards. If they have good traction there, you are probably good to go. It could answer the black mark issue, too.
Sounds like you are racing the Figawi. Have fun
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Figawi, but the Newport to Block Island Mitchell Regatta.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure I'll be able to try them on a wet surface before I buy, but I agree that the non-textured gelcoat is where I need the grip most. Most of the surface is textured, however on the trimaran the trampolines get slick as well.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/3 with rubber on the outside like that can get pretty bulky in a footstrap.

If you don't need that much warmth I'd recommend the O'Neill "Heat Ninja". Split toe for extra control, and very thin all over (2 mm?), including the sole, which is slightly stronger rubber. Most comfortable bootie I've ever worn, almost like barefoot. Buy them snug so they don't slip around on your foot.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serioiusly, don't listen to windsurfers.
Get neoprene booties for diving (Scuba diving) or the boat shoes made of thick neoprene with a SOLID sole and toe protection.
You NEED the toe protection, like in shoes, when clambering around a sailboat with all the hardware and lines.
To to West Marine, ask for cold weather BOAT sailing boots.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is, do you want soaking wet feet for 4 hours, possibly as many as 8 hours if something goes wrong?
Boating shoes give a chance to wear poly or wool combo socks, so your feet don't get all wrinkled and weak from the soaking.
SkinDiver boots often have stiff felt bottoms and some toe protection almost equal to boating booties.
Are you planning on wearing foul weather gear on top or a wetsuit with foulies on top?
Swimming is a consideration, but a tiny one. You can swim with foul weather gear anyways, and you barely can swim with any kind of booties, even split toes, compared to bare feet (impoosible for Farallon's cruises).
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since you put it that way, no I'd rather not have wet feet for 4-8 hours. I guess I was thinking the neoprene would be waterproof and I wouldn't get wet unless I stepped in over the tops.

Foul weather gear on top but no wetsuit.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m no cat sailor, but from watching the America's Cup crew, I'd imagine something more substantial than wetsuit booties is for you. You are doing much longer tacks, for sure.
I'd look into skin and scuba diving booties. They are substantially thicker and have toe protection caps, zip up so they're easy to dump water out and re attach to your feet, and have better grip on the bottom.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion. There are Gore-Tex socks available that cyclists use. Maybe you could use that in your sailing shoes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: