myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic 293d vs kona one
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEF358F0-DB05-4226-A8954ABAD2FC2F95

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Bic 293d vs kona one Reply with quote

I am working to get in the sport and need some advice on boards. I am 200lbs and sail on small lakes in the midwest. I own a pandera and struggled on it last summer. I am looking at newer boards. I found a 7 yr old bic 293d for about $850. I have talked to others that a kona one is a better option. The kona seems a bit sluggish and the bic seems more responsive. Which one would be easiest to learn and develop on? I haven't found any used konas and not sure if I am ready to spend $2000 on a new rig. Any suggestions?[/code]
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bic 293d vs kona one Reply with quote

DEF358F0-DB05-4226-A8954ABAD2FC2F95 wrote:
I am working to get in the sport and need some advice on boards. I am 200lbs and sail on small lakes in the midwest. I own a pandera and struggled on it last summer. I am looking at newer boards. I found a 7 yr old bic 293d for about $850. I have talked to others that a kona one is a better option. The kona seems a bit sluggish and the bic seems more responsive. Which one would be easiest to learn and develop on? I haven't found any used konas and not sure if I am ready to spend $2000 on a new rig. Any suggestions?[/code]

I personally learned the basics on a 293D and loved it Very Happy. If it's 7 years old I believe it may be the model with trim box. That could limit your selection of fins. Have you considered a WindSup?

Not sure how the Kona One would do though as a beginner's board. I believe a few members here have one so they can chime in.

-Kevin
coachg

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$850 for a 7 year old Bic 293d is a little over the top I think, especially if it was used. You might get that price if the board sat in the box for 7 years and was never used.

Coachg
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps at $850 it comes with more than one fin and full rig in good shape ?? ie ready 2 go

the Pandera is somewhere around 170 , long and narrow
even my 94 cm wide 170 liter FreeFormula was NOT enough for a heavy-weight friend to try

at 205 liters , 79 cm width with a dagger - you should be good to go
i am VERY interested in the results - did u get it - did it work out, etc

on the auzzie forum there was a post where people posted about how they started and which equipment worked vs what did not
perhaps such a post or discussion would be of interest on iwindsurf ??
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose a Kona One to restart over a 293 and don't regret it. I prefer the more slender Kona for low wind performance, even if it's a bit less stable. At our weight (I'm 210#) a bit more volume always help too.

The step tail is not a gimmick, it really helps to change the board peformance while on the plane. It's more nimble than appears, and the step tail eases getting in the straps (because you don't have to walk as far back). There's also no need for an adjustable mast track = more reliable.

Finally, I now have a collection of fins that I really use. It would have been much more difficult and expensive with the now disappearing trim box fins.

Advantages I see with the Bic: There are beating straps for non-planing use. The skin is also tougher than the EVA on the Kona.
24185FCB-EDFC-6151-3BBD424353C3BA39

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it comes with a 15yr old sail/mast etc. What is the difference in the different fin boxes? Does the older model not have something that makes the new model better?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 15 yo, the sail maybe close to unusable. Monofilm becomes brittle with UV exposure and the sail might start ripping apart. Dacron ages much better. Please ask others about how to assess the remaining life of a sail, I don't know how to help...

The Trim box system for fins is probably as good, or close to as good as the Powerbox system. It has the distinct advantage of allowing the fin to be adjusted fore and aft. Whilst I don't know the reasons it's out of fashion, it is. I don't think any board is built with this anymore, and the fins are much harder to find.

I learned while restarting that fins are critical for enjoying the sport. They are not for displacement sailing, but they are for planing. They need to be in good shape. You need them in sizes proportional to the sails you are using. This extends your board range, instead of switching boards... I use 3 sizes with my Kona. It's not fine tuning at all, they allow me to sail when the other fins wouldn't work.

If you sail in weedy area, you may instead need weed fins. At my local spot, it's just impossible to sail 100m with the Kona fin without catching so much weed that you spin out.

And finally they break. Most often if you hit a hidden rock at full speed. I thought fins would last forever, but it's not the case. My Kona 46 broke in it's 4th year.

For these reasons, it can make sense to find a Powerbox board. But for sure, if you can get a great price on your kit, it will compensate for the extra hassle and cost of getting Trimbox fins.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that True Ames Fins still carries a number of fins, including weedfins, with the Trim Box base, so one has a number of different great choices available.

http://trueames.com/t/wind/mount/trim-tr
spennie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a barely-used Kona for sale for $975. Windjunkie@windjunkie.net
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed the 293 for many years, and recently sailed the Kona One at the Kashy/WET spring regatta. Which board to get depends on what kind of sailing you intend to do. Both boards work in 5-30 mph, but the fun factor differs. The 293 will be more fun in 18+ mph winds once you figured out how to plane. The Kona is a lot more fun in lighter winds.

For learning, the length of the Kona will make getting back upwind easier, although the 293D does go upwind well enough. The soft top of the Kona is a big plus when learning, and for light wind play. It's amazing how much fun you can have on the Kona in 5 knots on a warm summer day doing light wind freestyle. If you think you may want to get into fun races at some point in the future, the Kona One is the way to go (unless you are a teenager).

The asking price for the 293D is too high. The 15-year old sail is useless, and will make your life harder if you try to use it. The 293 is durable, but it may eventually crack at the seams, and repairs are harder than on other boards. I think you'd be better off buying new 293 OD for $1400 than spending anything close to $800 for a 7-year old 293.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: