myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Next Board - How Big?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb50009

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Next Board - How Big? Reply with quote

I am just getting back into the sport and replacing my gear that dates from the mid-90's. I weigh 160 and can jibe a shortboard pretty consistently (or used to be able to) - so far I have picked up a couple used sails ('07-08 era Hucker 5.6 and 6.6, 4.8 on the way) and a board (well-used but functional '08 JP FSW 84L). The 84L board is a bit small for the 6.6, plus I may get a higher wind board and some wave sails for 5.0 and below. Conditions are flat water to B&J (5ft wind-driven waves max) - lighter seabreezes in the summer, but 15-20 knots isn't too rare (usually wouldn't sail in less, but who knows - thinking 6.6 covers that range), 15-25 sometimes (5.6), 20-25 sometimes (4.8 ), 25-30+ more rare (wave sails tbd), mostly in the fall or storms.

So what size/style board would be best to get the most out of the 6.6? Should I try it with a big fin on the 84L board?

I'm thinking the 84L is good for the 5.6 and 4.8, but a stretch for a 6.6 even though I'm a little lighter than average at 160 - I haven't attempted it with a big fin yet, but I imagine it might be less than ideal . . . I'm looking for multipurpose boards that are fast . . . used but not too old - maybe a larger '07 or '08 JP FSW or Naish All Terrain type of thing? Maybe a used slalom / freeride board? Something 90-105L probably? Is a 92L JP FSW just enough gap larger/wider to make the 6.6 work pretty well? Would 101L JP FSW be better? is 105L+ bigger than I need if I'm not getting a bigger sail than 6.6? Would a slalom/freeride with a flatter rocker than a FSW be better for the 6.6?

My knowledge of the evolution of board shapes/widths and other gear is better than it used to be, but it is still a bit confusing . . . most of my prior sailing was mid-late 90's . .

Any ideas welcome - thanks!

JB
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look more into freeride or slalom board for your 6.6. Something around mid 90's in volume is plenty, or even go to 102's, for a sure fire sail home.
5.8 in on the verge of too big for FSW 84's.
Some guys run the track all the way forwards with a one bolt base for 6.0, but that is pushing the limits.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Board - How Big? Reply with quote

I'd ride my 6.7 in 15-20 MPH and I'm heavier than you. 84 ltrs is
pretty small for anything above 6Ms, but............ why not try it
with a big fin and see how you like it.

Personally, I find a 20 ltr board gap to be about right, so I'd recommend
a slalom, or freeride board at about 104 Ltrs for a 6.6.

-Craig

jb50009 wrote:
The 84L board is a bit small for the 6.6, plus I may get a higher wind board and some wave sails for 5.0 and below. Conditions are flat water to B&J (5ft wind-driven waves max) - lighter seabreezes in the summer, but 15-20 knots isn't too rare (usually wouldn't sail in less, but who knows - thinking 6.6 covers that range), 15-25 sometimes (5.6), 20-25 sometimes (4.8 ), 25-30+ more rare (wave sails tbd), mostly in the fall or storms.

So what size/style board would be best to get the most out of the 6.6? Should I try it with a big fin on the 84L board?

I'm thinking the 84L is good for the 5.6 and 4.8, but a stretch for a 6.6 even though I'm a little lighter than average at 160 - I haven't attempted it with a big fin yet, but I imagine it might be less than ideal . . . I'm looking for multipurpose boards that are fast . . . used but not too old - maybe a larger '07 or '08 JP FSW or Naish All Terrain type of thing? Maybe a used slalom / freeride board? Something 90-105L probably? Is a 92L JP FSW just enough gap larger/wider to make the 6.6 work pretty well? Would 101L JP FSW be better? is 105L+ bigger than I need if I'm not getting a bigger sail than 6.6? Would a slalom/freeride with a flatter rocker than a FSW be better for the 6.6?

My knowledge of the evolution of board shapes/widths and other gear is better than it used to be, but it is still a bit confusing . . . most of my prior sailing was mid-late 90's . .

Any ideas welcome - thanks!

JB
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Craig that you'll want about a 20 liter step up, to a 100-something liter board.

As for what kind of 100-something liter board to get, anything in the spectrum from fsw to freeride to slalom should work fine with your Hucker 6.6. However, I think the huckers are designed more for a slalom stance where you "lock in" and drive off the fin with double back straps. But slalom boards are not so cool for the bumpy water jumping and swerving stuff you like. So I think a freeride or freemove board would be the best. The RRD Firemove is popular lately.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new 100 liter board feels and rides like a 90 liter board. There is that much difference today. Beware. Don't go too small.
jb50009

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the advice. So here is what I'm thinking so far:

Lighter wind:
tbd isonic/slalom ~95L for 5.6, 6.6 flat water (for me, 6.6 weather = flat water) - a slalom board this size would take a bigger sail but not sure I would need/want one, so maybe 95L is plenty big enough for a slalom board if I weigh 160? 90-95L seems like bigger end of the "high wind slalom" category and 95-100L seems like the lower end of the "medium wind slalom" category (but maybe the average slalom racer might weigh a little more than I do) . . .

I had an old '90's 95L 265x58 fun/slalom board that weighed 20lbs+ but it was pretty buoyant for larger sails, so I figure a modern slalom board mid-90's volume would plane a lot sooner and generally blow it off the water (assuming rider skill is up to par) - obviously a pure slalom board would be much different maneuverability-wise than stepping down to the FSW at 84L, but probably not in a bad way)

Used '07 and newer slalom boards do seem a bit pricey compared to used FSW's, but they are pretty expensive to begin with so maybe that's not surprising . . . if I see a good deal on a freeride board it seems like maybe 95-100L might be good (so a 6.6 would land in the middle of the sail range, like it would be for a 95L slalom board) . . . 95L is only a step up of 11L from the 84L FSW, but if it's a slalom board, I'm not sure if it needs to be any bigger . . .

The rrd firemove is interesting but the 100L is 236x69 for 5.2-7.2 sails vs an '08 isonic 94L at 243x59 for 5.2-7.8 sails (or a new isonic 90L at 241x60 for 5.3-7.8 or 97L at 234x64 for 5.5-8.5 sails) - 69 seems pretty wide to top out at a 7.2 sail, but the intended audience is different - and maybe my thinking on width is too old school, since the range of shapes is broad these days - it's also sometimes hard to tell what is a good "big man's" medium wind board vs what is a good lighter wind board for someone who is 160lbs (not that it couldn't be the same board, depending on the intended use) . . . I imagine a hucker/isonic combo might be good (at least it would be pretty fast). . .

Medium wind:
JP FSW 84L for 4.8, 5.6

High wind:
tbd B&J/wave board ~65-75L for 3.0-5.0

Thanks!
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb50009 wrote:
Lighter wind:
tbd isonic/slalom ~95L for 5.6, 6.6 flat water (for me, 6.6 weather = flat water) - a slalom board this size would take a bigger sail but not sure I would need/want one, so maybe 95L is plenty big enough for a slalom board if I weigh 160?

You are right. don't get anything bigger than 100. At 145lbs, a 90 is great for 7.0/6.0.

Your other choices seems good too.

Happy sailing.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb50009,

Where do you sail?

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the best question i've heard yet from respondents on this thread.

the pacific offers more wind. dunno all the why's, it just does.

maui offers denser wind. dunno why. it just does.

hatteras offers more opportunities for side off, with some bit of driving.

some people pump to plane better than others.

some board lines ride smoother or rougher.

today's designs can plane early, yet allow one to stay in some pretty heavy surprise upticks in wind.

take your pick exocet cross 114, jp all ride 110(ish), sb carve 1109ish). they all plane early and let you ride lots of venues. go big with these style boards they will carry thru some really heavy stuff when the wx changes drastically. will change your perspective on what gear you may really need.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb50009 wrote:
95L is only a step up of 11L from the 84L FSW, but if it's a slalom board, I'm not sure if it needs to be any bigger

A few thoughts. First of all I agree with D0uglass that you should go to 100 something liters. An 11 liter step is not very meaningful...that's mostly overlap between the two boards. Your largest board determines the least amount of wind you can windsurf in. I weigh 165 (so we're basically the same weight)...my intervals are 77 liters (FSW) 93 (FSW) and 109 (Freestyle). I go 7.5-3.4 with that. (I have a 100 liter freestyle too, but that's decadent.) I respectfully disagree with Stevenbard's comment...I'd say the modern boards sail much floatier than the older boards (because they're a foot shorter, so more of the volume is under your feet) but they turn smaller (because they're shorter). This is great news for the lighter wind side of the gear spectrum. I sail a 7.5 on a 109 board...before that I put the sail on a 135 liter Seatrend...the Seatrend was no floatier in my opinion.

Go to 100-110 liters. You'll get a lot more use out of the board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: