myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is This Rig Useable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say again, that NPU sail cannot be rigged correctly unless the bottom
batten pocket is repaired. Until then it will be very difficult to use after
the 1st couple of days in the learning process. No amount of tuning
can resolve this.

-Craig

mark wrote:
If I were you I would learn how to optimize the rig that you have and save your money until you can upgrade both the sail and the mast. Your sail with the proper outhaul and downhaul will work much better than how you have it in the first picture you posted. I would even speculate that it may work better than the Neil Pryde on the wrong mast.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree Craig that the sail (as pictured) needs fixing before it will work properly, but the batten pocket on such a simple sail should be easy and cheap to have stitched up. (The top batten also needs setting properly.)

I agree with Mark that it would be the better option for learning the basics, especially frequently having to uphaul while trying to balance. Also, it will NOT immediately become impossible to use as the wind rises a little, in that it is similar to 6.8 sails (the one i used on the Shredder) that thousands of us once 'enjoyed' on our bigger boards for exciting planing. (It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking anything older must be useless.)

I think his best bet is to have it repaired, if he can find somebody who knows what to do, and will do it cheaply, and go ahead with it (and his smaller sail) to learn the basics and become addicted, THEN start out on improving his rig.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go again.....JA you can 'use' & ride an almost anything, the advice some of us are saying is it would be easier & in the long run actually cheaper(buying gear one time instead of learning the hard way & purchasing 2 or 3 rigs that have little to no value) to get a little more modern of a set up AND before all the old a$$ sail lovers jump on me & sing about the glorious advantages of sails from the late 80's early 90's(where are you riding on all this old gear, really? I hardly ever see any of it & never with someone who I would consider an expert or well knowledged with modern gear) I sailed this gear when I started so I too actually am sorta 'informed'. I leave for Hatteras in hours, so there will be no rebuttal.
mark

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jandrew7,

If you look at my posting on the second page of this thread I discussed two ways to repair the batten pocket. I also offered to supply the parts for the repair.

At your weight of 150 pounds you may be better off using your 5.8 sail on the 15 to 25 mph days. You may be slogging in the lulls but you will be much better off in the gusts. You most likely will have more control and sail faster.

If you want you could rig up your 5.8 sail and take a picture of it. Some feedback may help you optimize the rigging.

Don't get me wrong I prefer newer gear. However I do agree with Greg that in 5 to 15 that 6.8 will work fine. The challenge is getting your gear to work in 15 to 25 and your 5.8 should be much better.

The goal here is to help you use what you have until you can afford an upgrade. Having your rig properly tuned will make it perform much better. Having a mast that is compatible with the sail also really makes a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: