myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First Day out of the year!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: First Day out of the year! Reply with quote

Finally had a nice weather day with wind in RI yesterday, after a loooooooong winter Shocked

I used my new (used) board and rig for the first time, centerboard equipped F2 phoenix 320 (188L), and 5.8 EZ Wave SE. 6/4 wetsuit with boots, gloves and hood.

The water is still cold here, 48 degrees F, but the air was beautiful summer-like in the 70s and I took my hood and gloves off immediately. It was windy/gusty, probably in the 15-20 range and my hands, legs and back are aching today! Really need to learn how to use a harness (aka diaper)...

Anyway, it was a GREAT day out on the water and refreshed my passion for the sport and reminded me just how hard it is. The new board is certainly an improvement over my old (1980s) board, lighter and more responsive. I CAN'T WAIT to get back out again!
Very Happy
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, Thurston! It's great you got such a terrific day!

It sounds like its time to check out harness at your a shop. I'm uncertain that Northwind Sports is open, but certainly Sailworld Cape Cod is the largest shop near you, located in Bourne, MA right after the bridge. Island Surf & Sport also might be helpful, though I don't think their windsurfing stock is as deep nor staff experience as good as Sailworld. If you find yourself on the Cape, you can check out Inland Sea who offers great service and tons of gear as well. Inland Sea is in West Dennis.

bericw

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoked!
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hear three(3) cheers for the old longboards Smile
Got out Sunday / Mother's Day near Montreal
on the local river where "no windsurfer goes"
it is a Mistral Equipe I LCS-XR with a beat-up MS-2 8-oh
winds were less than 15 knots Very Happy

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_9Mv3RlMd84/U2-_KMmAFyI/AAAAAAAACjM/1qBLb6nXX6Y/s1600/meq+on+1000+isles.JPG

before i went to a harness, i went to a bigger sail, but not sure how much you weigh ... and started with really, really long lines
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I weigh 180 lbs. I have a dakine harness that I did try late last year, but had trouble with it and it was so uncomfortable. I honestly don't know how I'll get used to wearing one.

A bigger sail is on the want list. I'll be getting as big of a sail as I can fit on my 460, probably in the 7-7.5 range.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some brands have 8.2-8.5 sails for a 460 mast.

Coachg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you were uncomfortable with your seat harness. I understand you don't mean it hurts, but that you didn't feel in control and balanced?

If it's the case, your harness lines are probably to blame, not the harness. They have to be positionned on the boom so that your sail is balanced. When starting, you'll want long harness lines too. It's easier to get in and out if they are somewhat long. You might want adjustable race line, since they are easy to modify on the water so you can experiment easier.
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I'm surprised you were uncomfortable with your seat harness. I understand you don't mean it hurts, but that you didn't feel in control and balanced?

If it's the case, your harness lines are probably to blame, not the harness. They have to be positionned on the boom so that your sail is balanced. When starting, you'll want long harness lines too. It's easier to get in and out if they are somewhat long. You might want adjustable race line, since they are easy to modify on the water so you can experiment easier.

Yeah it just felt restrictive, similar to what a wetsuit does. Just extra bulk that I'm not used to yet.

Any recommendations for adjustable race line? Sounds like a good idea.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I use are Chinook race lines. They work very well and worth their price in my opinion.

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=139

The Dakine adjustable I have also are not as easily adjusted
Thurston

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those do look nice, might be a bit pricy for how I'm using them though at $69.

Ever use these?

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=6_52_53&products_id=140

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: