myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water Temperature at Hood River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich246

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Water Temperature at Hood River Reply with quote

Anybody know what the current water temperature is at Hood River?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temperature at Hood River Reply with quote

I'm guessing that since it's 53 at the John Day dam, it's about 50 around the Hood River area.

-Craig

Rich246 wrote:
Anybody know what the current water temperature is at Hood River?
starfish

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLD
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water temp at Bonneville dam - also 53.

http://www.fpc.org/tempgraphsnet/NETFullYear_tempgraph.aspx
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also at the bottom of the Pressure Report accessed by clicking on a Gorge site wind chart.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich- I am sure the thermometers read the same, but this time of year it always feels about 3 degrees colder to me at the Hatchery vs Rufus or even Rowena. I can't imagine adding water from the Hood and White Salmon Rivers would warm up water from further East. What do YOU think about that Isobars?
johnl

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The White Salmon is in the lower 40's year round and it is currently running strong. So a lot of cold water being dumped in the Columbia. Same for the Hood river, but probably closer to 45 or 50 degrees. I would bet that the Hatch and Stevenson's run a bit colder than the temp at the The Dalles dam during the spring runnoff season....
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed yesterday in the corridor, no booties, no gloves, no hood/helmet, no shoulder pads. 2nd time this week. Water is about the same as a "normal" day at the coast. 5/4/3 or a really good 4/3 is a must, but the air is warm and the wind is blowing. Time to sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
Rich- I am sure the thermometers read the same, but this time of year it always feels about 3 degrees colder to me at the Hatchery vs Rufus or even Rowena. I can't imagine adding water from the Hood and White Salmon Rivers would warm up water from further East. What do YOU think about that Isobars?

I used to use just the Bonneville temp from iW to time my season-opening session; when it hit 46 in April I hit the water, barefooted and barehanded. In the past few years, tired of fighting early spring's truly shi ... er, crappy ... wind quality PLUS chilly weather, I began checking all the dam temps from McNary to Bonneville in the spring. Generally, the temps at McNary, John Day, The Dalles, and Bonnville, in that order, trend upwards by a small amount. I.e., it's usually warmest at Bonneville, but by an inconsequential amount, a degree or less. Once they all hit 48 or 50, air temp matters much more to me, as I don't do gloves. The old 50/50 rule works great for me.

Localized Columbia temp differences above and below tributaries may not vary very significantly very often simply because the Columbia is so freaking big by comparison. We can sail or paddleboard the confluence of the Yakima and Columbia rivers, and their temps are dramatically different just a couple of hundred yards apart this time of the year after the sun has warmed up the much shallower Yakima delta. But out on the Columbia, the water feels pretty similar above and below the Yakima mouth.

As for the Corridor vs near east (e.g., Hatch vs Rowena or Rufus), I haven't sailed them often enough since moving out east to offer a comparison. I'd guess dam proximity matters if the discharge is from the bottom vs the top of the lake upstream of the dam.

It's easy to check all the dam temps at
http://www.fpc.org/tempgraphsnet/NETFullYear_tempgraph.aspx .
Just notice the Submit button; nothing happens until you click on it each time you select a different dam.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do, usually at least 3 degrees. I love the water temp out at Doug's.

-Craig

johnl wrote:
The White Salmon is in the lower 40's year round and it is currently running strong. So a lot of cold water being dumped in the Columbia. Same for the Hood river, but probably closer to 45 or 50 degrees. I would bet that the Hatch and Stevenson's run a bit colder than the temp at the The Dalles dam during the spring runnoff season....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: