myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sup sails
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: sup sails Reply with quote

anyone using the soft sails like the Severne Super Light/ Starboard SUPer
for lightwind sup sailing?
are they much more powerful in 5-12knots than similar sized wave sail..?
are they still controllable if the wind comes up to planing conditions ?
they look nice and light, and fast to rig for getting out and practicing on lightwind wave days.

outhaul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going for the Aerotech 5.8 wind sup sail. Can't beat the simplicity and perfect for those light wind cruising days when using a 7 batten 8.5m seems silly.
Another sail that is often overlooked is the Maui Sails Inspire, it has 4 battens but is very soft and easy going, my daughter uses the 4.0.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: sup sails Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
anyone using the soft sails like the Severne Super Light/ Starboard SUPer
for lightwind sup sailing?
are they much more powerful in 5-12knots than similar sized wave sail..?
are they still controllable if the wind comes up to planing conditions ?
they look nice and light, and fast to rig for getting out and practicing on lightwind wave days.

I think they're a great idea, "back to the future"...makes perfect sense for light winds. Certainly up to 10 knots.
But you ask about rig stability in maybe 12 knots? For me, I'd do it no problem, but I'm very used to sailing with rigs like that.
However... if you're very used to modern rigs that are gutless in light winds, but have good stability in high winds... than I think, you would find one of these light weight and soft sails a bit unstable in 12 knots and above.
But again, they would CERTAINLY work... and it wouldn't be such a big deal... just less stable than a modern 7 batten, heavy, high tension sail.
Greg -

PS - Yes (to answer your question)... they are more powerful and fast in light winds, than the same size wave sail.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take a look at the Hot Sails Maui SummerFreak. I have it in 5.6m and 7.5m. The sail is essentially a copy of the original Windsurfer One Design sail, but with more careful profile. The short answer is yes, much more powerful in light wind than a high-tension sail, and much more fun. I have not tried the Aerotech sup sail, but suspect it would not do well if the wind were to pick up, much as the Severne Superlight (which I also have) is a disaster outside of it's very narrow range. The SummerFreaks hold it together surprisingly well in planing wind. But they have an Achilles heel - long booms. The 7.5m really needs a 250 for adjustability (ideally might even be 255 if you get caught out in higher wind). But if you've got a boom to fit, I'm pretty sure the 7.5m is the best sub-planing to just-planing longboard sail there is.

Lots of information on the Hot Sails Maui forums if you google it.

A not-great video I made of mine in action, Summer 2013:

http://youtu.be/wFitjKa0PWo
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:
You should take a look at the Hot Sails Maui SummerFreak. I have it in 5.6m and 7.5m. The sail is essentially a copy of the original Windsurfer One Design sail, but with more careful profile. The short answer is yes, much more powerful in light wind than a high-tension sail, and much more fun. I have not tried the Aerotech sup sail, but suspect it would not do well if the wind were to pick up, much as the Severne Superlight (which I also have) is a disaster outside of it's very narrow range. The SummerFreaks hold it together surprisingly well in planing wind. But they have an Achilles heel - long booms. The 7.5m really needs a 250 for adjustability (ideally might even be 255 if you get caught out in higher wind). But if you've got a boom to fit, I'm pretty sure the 7.5m is the best sub-planing to just-planing longboard sail there is.

Lots of information on the Hot Sails Maui forums if you google it.

A not-great video I made of mine in action, Summer 2013:

http://youtu.be/wFitjKa0PWo

Jamie,
What boom length for the 5.5? As I recall it's available in 6.5m as well?
Glad to hear the sail is still offered but doesn't it take months to actually get one as they're made to order?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Aerotech WindSUP sail, in 4.0 or about. It can be beat for easy deployment... In sub-planing it's fine. I never tried it in planing weather. For me, it would be about 30 kts...
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are modern, retro, back-to-the-future, soft, light air/subplaning SUP sails REALLY $700 -- heck, $200 -- better than the plain old (and FREE) 1980's sails they emulate? Some of those old sails had gobs of low wind power yet still handled just fine in normally powered planing conditions, and garages and swap meets are full of them, often in great shape.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what Iso said... plus 1... exactly Smile
I have a garage full of them... and long, light booms too.
I often teach lessons on a perfect condition 1984 Bic Wing with the original rig. It goes from my roof rack to sailing in about 2 min total. It looks exactly like the sail in Jamie's video, except mine is much more colorful.
Same shape, size, leech battens, etc.

(Before you veterans give me crap, I also sail a FW with 11M race sail - and have 83L gorge boards with little Sailworks Revos - and a raceboard with raceboard sails and everything in between Smile

Anyway, back to the future, for sure !!

But I still think these hybrid wind-sup's are awesome... and will help build new windsurfer's world wide. And I love the simple light and quick to rig sails that are now available. Yes, the are too spendy... but if you don't know what to buy.. or how to wade through the crap on craigslist or ebay or there's not a swap meet within 100 miles of your house... then these are a sure thing. You know they'll work and they'll fit.

But true, if I wanted a wind-sup, I'd just plug a light wind powerful sail from the late 80's or early 90's in it... and take off.
I sailed a friend's new wind-sup 2 summers ago with a regular modern big sail on it... and it worked great.
But old simple sails would be better for novices and intermediates.
These boards plane fine, but are fun in non-planning conditions as well. I love the simplicity and will make just being out on the water cruising around fun !!
Greg -
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Are modern, retro, back-to-the-future, soft, light air/subplaning SUP sails REALLY $700 -- heck, $200 -- better than the plain old (and FREE) 1980's sails they emulate? Some of those old sails had gobs of low wind power yet still handled just fine in normally powered planing conditions, and garages and swap meets are full of them, often in great shape.

Yes. I directly compared 2 80's Windsurfer sails to the first Summerfreak (dubbed "the Mappleleaf"), no comparison. A dedicated contemporary sailmaker's version is immeasurably better. For $350. That's real money, but not a lot of real money, and if you are going to spend some hours with the sail, it is money well spent.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those old Dacron unbattened 80's sails were certainly powerful (on long boards) in light winds.

Fished out a 1983 Point Rainbow triangular one from the attic 'treasure trove' last year, complete with old epoxy mast and ancient 'Forth Bridge' length boom, for a summer breeze day retry, using the Kona.

Definitely had light wind push, but good grief, what a monster length boom and heavy feel. And when the wind gusted -yikes!

Incredible that, in 1983 I thought it was great (Hi-Fli 555) in get up and go planing bursts. Can't believe it now, and wonder how we ever became keen windsurfers against such a struggle. (But we did!) Standards certainly have risen.

I also fished out a once favourite, but well worn and replaced, 10 year old 4.5 wave sail which I always got on with. That was a revelation. It still worked fine and was preferable to its later replacement.

Dids small sail design reach some sort of peak a number of years ago, and are we fooling ourselves that later is really better? In that particular case it seems so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: