myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Harness issues Reply with quote

Tired of wearing this big nappy (Dakine fusion kite seat harness) I want to go to a waist harness. When I settle into the harness it seems like I have to push my butt out to get there making the stance seem wrong. It appears the two harness types result in different stances? I want to leverage my torso out bending my upper body back from the waist leveraged by my feet but that doesn't get me there instead I need to sit down.
My only attempt with a waist harness a few years ago would not work because the harness lacked the padded velcro strap behind the bar strap so when i got it tight enough the bar would slip over the strap and dig straight into my belly, ouch!
Two years ago I was in California so I got to go a windsurfing shop finally, at the time the only harness that seemed comfortable and didn't ride up (hanging from a bar in the shop) was a soft kite harness made by NPX no longer being made I think similar to the Hot Sails harness, the hook was wrong so I didn't buy it.
The question is I'm 6'5 1/2" tall and even at #220 I'm slender with a long torso of course. I've read how a long torso can be a difficult fit with a waisty, should I try to find the tallest and largest waisty because of my size, are there any other sailors with a similar shape? issues? Do the two harnesses indeed result in different stances?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it just might be a kite thing based on using the power and positions of the kite. Seat harnesses made for windsurfing may not be balanced and oriented quite the same as ones made for kitesurfing. I've been using seat harnesses for over 28 years, and it's easy to maintain the classic "7" stance. I have to admit to never using a waist harness.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, like you am tall. Hot Sails makes a "Wave Seat" harness that is very good. Tell the guys there that you are very tall and need 6 inches longer on the leg straps. They will add it for you for free. This will give you a waist harness feel with the stability of a seat harness.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is yet another thread that keeps me bringing me back to that same spot, DaKine totally fu(ked up by discontinuing the 'Surfseat' which is IMO the best harness ever made for ocean sailing with wave riding. It had a high hook that slided (a huge plus), with the ability to ride aggressively w/o your legs wearing out.
DaKine, are your hearing me again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've since gone to a DaKine NRG waist harness w/a slider conversion kit, it gets me by, but it's still a far cry from the 'Surfseat'.
DaKine! Anybody home!!!!
nw30

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I, like you am tall. Hot Sails makes a "Wave Seat" harness that is very good. Tell the guys there that you are very tall and need 6 inches longer on the leg straps. They will add it for you for free. This will give you a waist harness feel with the stability of a seat harness.

I contacted HS to see if they were going to offer a surfseat that had a high sliding hook, they said they had no plans for offering one but they'd make me one custom if I'd like. So I asked about the price and they said a bit more than what they currently have, I figured fair enough, but with shipping included, I decided to go the route I took (the post above). Jeff Henderson even told me that he tried their surf seat and had a problem getting used to the low'ish stationary hook. These things matter!
So my quest will continue.
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try the Dakine Nitrious harness shorts. The spreader bar will need to be switched out, the hammer head kite spreader bar is not the best for windsurfing. The shorts are very comfortable, don't ride up and provide that seat harness sit down feel you are seeking. They don't provide back support but as with most seat harnesses the back is pretty much taken out of the picture in terms of load and stress, so not an issue IMHO.
I'm still getting used to the low hook position associated with seat harnesses but otherwise find them excellent.
I noticed that David Ezzy wears one, I'm not the only one using these for windsurfing.
I've also found Mystic kite waist harnesses to be excellent for windsurfing, for me they seem to proved excellent fit and back support, important for a waist.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you NW about the Dakine harness. I loved them. However the HS surf seat is just as good IMO. It doesn't slide, but I really don't feel the difference. In fact, it is a more sturdy and durable harness that lasts twice as long. Power transfer is much better with the HS than the Dakine. IOW, a big guy like me can get more water time.

I have a box of old Dakine surf seat's. I might have to try one out again to see if it was truly more comfy. I assume you are referring to the one's that have the removable Velcro seat with leg straps. (it can be used as a waist harness also!)

PS, if you get the straps extended, the wave seat sits up high like a waist harness.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are killing me....
The question is I'm 6'5 1/2" tall and even at #220 I'm slender with a long torso of course. I've read how a long torso can be a difficult fit with a waisty, should I try to find the tallest and largest waisty because of my size, are there any other sailors with a similar shape? issues? Do the two harnesses indeed result in different stances?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'4" Beagle. I recommend the HS with longer leg straps if you want the comfort of a seat and the feel of a waist harness. Otherwise, there are plenty of pure waist harnesses to choose from. I just can't take the waist any more because they really stress my back out. If you can take the back stress, you'll have way more choices.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've been using is the DaKine Speed seat. I'm not sure whether it is still being made, but the thing that I like about the design is that it light and fairly minimal in size and padding. Also, it has a fairly low hook position, but I find that it works well for me.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the use of waist or seat harnesses resulting in a different stance. While some folks strike a "sitting" type of style in the harness, the harness itself doesn't create that style. Unless, like I pointed out earlier, maybe kite harnesses could favor a more "sitting" type of style to control the kite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: