myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CGWA Purchases Swell City!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I think there has to be some premium paid for Short term parking, but I like your deposit idea, you just get back say $10 of your $20 if you're
out within the 2 hour time, otherwise you get nothing back. So if you really really
gotta sail at Swell, and you wanna park after everbody else, you pony up
your $20 and figure that good, or you get out in 2 hours and figure $10 a deal. Or, you show up early or get lucky for $5 and stay as long as
you like. Gonna take some monitoring though, I'm not sure Brenda
will be enough.

-Craig

starfish wrote:
Thank you for the positive input. I was thinking a short term parking with a deposit. You pay the normal launch fee plus a 20 deposit. If you leave with in the allotted time you would get your deposit back. If you continually went over the time you would be publicly beaten. Ok only kidding about the beating part. Some constructive replies please.
jota

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sailed there in years so don't know exactly how things work - so let me see: There's someone named Brenda who is onsite and collects fees and generally keeps an eye on things? And Brenda is paid for her services?

If that's the situation, I'd be curious to see the books on this. Is there money left after the parking person is paid for her services? If no, or not much, might as well make the place free!

Or is there, or will there be, a self-pay kiosk?

Another question: CGWA is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit. Would net income from running Swell City be "unrelated business income" necessitating the filing of a 990T? Anyone from CGWA on here? Wonder what advice they're getting on this.
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious from many of these posts that many of the posters have never launched at Swell. As a long time Swell user please allow me to clarify some misconceptions.

There is no parking fee, nor will there be one now. There is a launch fee. Most of the parking at Swell is in the highway right of way and is not privately owned. No one can charge to park there. You do cross private property, now owned by the CGWA, to access the water hence the launch fee.

Some people do choose to park and leave a vehicle all day and shuttle down when the wind is "right". Many Swell users, myself included, find this annoying, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about it, see above.

The only parking that is privately owned is on the inside, room for maybe a dozen cars. At least half of these have been reserved exclusive parking for the last several years, $500 per season. It remains to be seen what the CGWA will do with this area.

Swell is not a private club like other launches near by. It is 1st come 1st served. Anyone is welcome to sail there and always has been. Whether or not it is someone's "scene" is up to the individual.

Swell is rarely completely parked out. It is not nearly as crowded as it was ten or fifteen years ago. People are coming and going all day. If you see someone de-rigging just ask if they are leaving and can have their spot.

The Hatchery has better wind, better swell, better sailors and more parking. There is no reason to sail at Swell unless you are really old and are intimidated by loopers and kiters.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, Swell is a much better place to sail, and you all want to park
and sail up there! Sheesh, this was an interesting thread, until you
started sending people down to park where I do.

Watch your screen hour glass, and listen to me. You love Swell, You sail
Swell, you park Swell. You love Swell, You sail Swell, you park Swell.
You love Swell, You sail Swell, you park Swell. You love Swell, You sail
Swell, you park Swell..........................................................

;*)

-Craig

knifeonwater wrote:
The Hatchery has better wind, better swell, better sailors and more parking. There is no reason to sail at Swell unless you are really old and are intimidated by loopers and kiters.
sfbaysailor123

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knifeonwater has it right. You can park for free all day long. You can also launch on the east end for free, just have to swim it out. The fee is only to walk across the point for water access. But if you don't mind a little swim, it's free all day long. Cool
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Swell City is a fantastic sailing site with great people. In all my trips to the Gorge, hands down, it was my all time favorite launch. Move just a tad upwind, and you could be sailing all by yourself.

It good to know that Brenda is still managing the scene. She was always friendly, and did her job with such finesse.
Shredder33

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Props to Realtor Sean Aiken Reply with quote

Thank you Sean Aiken for brokering the Swell City purchase to CGWA. There was no shortage of interested buyers for Swell City.... Sean guided the parcel to the right purchaser and made sure everyone was happy.. We all have to thank him for ensuring years more of riding at this amazing sailing venue! Thanks Sean!
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Aiken, made it happen!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Swell+CGWA Reply with quote

Hmmm...sounds like Swell could have easily become a private property with restricted access (like the one just to the east of Swell). Even I would have considered buying (and then installed a single-wide or large RV Smile ). So this sale is great for the general windsurfing public. Thank you, Sean.

I'm certain the CGWA will figure out a simple uncomplicated way to administer launch fees. Swell City is a great location for windsurfing.
jota

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Biff - it was a good thing CGWA stepped in on this - who knows what might have happened had someone else bought it.

I would make a minor clarification though - the Broughton site to the east is private property and users pay a fee to park and launch. I don't know how much - we looked into it in the '90s but declined. I assume - but could be wrong - that anyone can join.

If so, isn't that exactly what Swell has done and will continue to do? "Private property with restricted access"? The price point might be different and the amenities might be different, but still . . .

Luckily the Stevensons and CGWA and the Hatchery (WA state parks?) make their sites available for windsurfers. We won't even mention the site that must not be named . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: