myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
More anecdotal evidence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie wrote:
I can relate to this--the last few times my mast has gotten stuck together after wave sailing, I've had to enlist kiters for pulling help (and explain to them what to do), since no other windsurfers were there.

Wrapping electrical tape on the joint stops that from happening "most" of the time.
amarie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. But I don't want to resign myself to tape dependency, especially here, where the heat turns tape into a gooey mess in the car. It's a brand new mast and I've never had a prior mast with the dreaded sticking problem, so I guess I'm spoiled. I keep lightly sanding the connection between uses and by now it has broken in to the point where it comes apart on its own. Smile

reinerehlers wrote:
amarie wrote:
I can relate to this--the last few times my mast has gotten stuck together after wave sailing, I've had to enlist kiters for pulling help (and explain to them what to do), since no other windsurfers were there.

Wrapping electrical tape on the joint stops that from happening "most" of the time.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a method. if the ferrule is on the top half..(most rdms)
i don't advertise it, but Mr Evans can attest to it's efficieny.

1"pvc pipe inside the bottom half and tap.

WaterKook

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to get the kiters to do it that way they get some exercise!! Laughing
alexane_182

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach windsurfing at a summer camp in Canada and I have to admit that it is probably one of the less popular activities. However, we have noticed a regain in interest in the past 2 years.

I'm looking forward to this summer !
shredparton

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you all smoking dope or something? The reason windsurfing is less popular is because anyone with any sense simply takes up kiting! I windsurfed for many years prior to kiting. Windsurfing is amazing when there's the perfect match of gear, wind and waves. But that's too uncommon. I get the same stoke from kiting on 5-10x the days per year. Also, my wife will kite but she'll have nothing to do with the physical demands of windsurfing. Also, taught my kids to kite in 2 days. And gear- can load the prius up and roll to the launch with the whole fam. Wake up people! You're ignoring the obvious. When windsurfing can advance out of the dark ages, I'm back in. Until then, I'll be shredding on all those 10-15mph days while y'all watch from the beach thinking about why windsurfing is in the dulldrums.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get better at it, will you join most of our local kiters on the beach most of the day, either bored with kiting or waiting for 20 mph winds?
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Iso!!
Yup, Dude be stoked now because it will not last. Kiteboring is fun the first two years.
Yes good point your wife likes it because it is a chick sport. Not that there is anything wrong with that? Yes your kids learned it in two days.
You just made your own point. Easy and non challenging.
Fine if you are happy with it go for it. But really Dude if you are so happy why are you concerned? Confused
Sounds like you have a good thing going with your life style.
Personally I like a little more challenge.
Kite on Bro!!!

jpeter

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: adding one Reply with quote

I am going to start teaching my son this year, so hopefully add one to the windsurf population. In addition to all of the normal kid stuff like soccer bikes, and school, we have him body surfing, kayaking, boating, fishing. He got a wetsuit and real nice bogey board for xmas. I grew up doing stuff on the water and it's a part of me forever.

I have 3 cousins who grew up on the cape living a 5 min walk to the each and not one of them goes into the salt water. I guess I should have mentored them.

Some philosophy to Mr shredfarton:
In just about every thing in life, the things that are more difficult to accomplish have greater rewards.

JP
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread cannot be killed by any method known to man......

I think it's just wierd how windsurfing gear is SOOOOOO much better now, and with all the new freestyle stuff going on, that there's SOOOOOO much more cool stuff to do and learn, plus there are vacation destinations for windsurfing, and clinics year round, more rental in those places, and you can even get lessons! All stuff that wasn't around 20 years ago, yet.....the sport declines. Why God????.....WHYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyy!!!!!!

As much as we'd like, we cannot place the entire blame on kiting and Republicans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: